IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Well, i for one have almost completely run out of steam on this thing. I actually looked forwards for the kickstarter.

I wanted to see how much support this stupid thing actually has. I wanted an honest confrontation on the accusations about the SNES and some wicked part of me actually wanted all those drama-barrels of petrol to roll right into the blazing hellfire of grief and explode into a mighty mushroomcloud of drama worthy of HBO.

Nothing remotely like that came to pass.

A lame excuse, another stupid fake prototype powered by lies and deceit and a useless explanation regurgitated up, completely dodging SNES-gate and all that.

I guess im gonna let it rot in the garbage dump where it belongs for now and drop it for a while. I'll keep looking at this to get some laughs when someone more knowledgeable than me discovers what stupid Fax-machine/dishwasher they took the PCB from.

• Like 6

Well, even with a clear case it was still pretty blurred at the end of yesterday.

Why no video of that bad boy running?

I just had a new idea for a game I want to make interrupt the idea I had for years, and, i'll just do that as I learn Unity and Blender in my time i'm not doing RGB mods and repairs.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

Talk about chugging the Kool-Aid, that guy is even writing like Mike now!!

rvgs_022716_twit.png

Edited by RupanIII
  • Like 1

"all will be made clear in time"

/ôl wil bē mād ˈklir in tīm/

phrase

• we've just been caught red-handed—or empty-handed, as the case may be—and we have no explanation or excuse to offer, but if you'll let us stall for just a little bit longer, I'm sure we can come up with a good one.

(Definition from the COLECO Business English Dictionary © COLECO Press)

.....technically he wasn't lying. Maybe he was referring to the Jag casing becoming "clear in time". They switched clear casing was shown on the facebook page.

• Like 6

I think we have seen the end, most of us are dumbfounded at the arrogance, most of their supporters are dumbfounded at the surprise lack of a kickstarter, they say they have a magical sugar daddy and its going to be the biggest thing since sliced bread on retail shelves ... we all know that things like the flashback are a very niche market and nintendo, NINTENDO! is practically paying retailers to keep their fail on the shelves.

As a opinion I dont know how much clout the coleco brand really carries, hell i was in a game store yesterday and the 20 something year old owner had a CV and a small stack of games, stating "I didnt know it existed before I got on in the shop"

yea ok he isnt the sharpest video game store owner, but there's the weight of the coleco name outside of nerd circles

• Like 1

My opinion on the brand (Coleco) is that the RVGS crew couldn't care less.

They tried solo and didn't work, they found a brand than would have bought them some good will and some recognizability and they went with it ... that's it.

The fact that it happens to be Coleco I believe is just that, happenstance.

Edited by phoenixdownita

anybody else still not seeing any replies on their pinned post on fb from yesterday? it says theres something like 180+ responses now, none of which can be seen...there was one here and there that made their way through but it was just people tagging others.

They have their page set so that they have to approve all posts/comments before they are published. My guess is that they are not reviewing/approving any more posts/comments.

anybody else still not seeing any replies on their pinned post on fb from yesterday? it says theres something like 180+ responses now, none of which can be seen...there was one here and there that made their way through but it was just people tagging others.

He set the comments to private, I believe.

• Like 1

I'm sure the kickstarter would have been a total fail. While it would have been amusing, its probably better they packed it in now. Maybe they will come back later this year to amuse us again, but it would really be better for everyone if they just gave it up. Just sell some more colored Jag shells to recoup the losses from this and move on. It was a dumb idea when it was the RetroVGS and it was still a dumb idea when it was the Coleco Chameleon.

Edited by mickcris
  • Like 5

It would be nice to get some closure on this thing.

Shouldn't be too long until the board they tried to hide under watermarks and a cloudy clear case is found out.

So much shady bullshit with this new round of photos....

- No wires coming out of back (he learned that lesson last time)

- Cartridge sunk in farther than toy fair... (Empty cartridge and/or no cartridge slot)

- Random white wire going to tv from who knows where (not power, assuming static image from pc)

- Placement of USB ports right up against components like jtag connector (probably butchered a USB hub and upgraded from tape to hot glue)

No video or clear shots of hardware because he is full of shit and could easily have put everyone in their place. With his personality I believe if he had something... anything... he would be screaming from the rooftop with it.

In conclusion. He will never be a man and admit that he has tried to deceive us, censor us, and peddle a fairy tale built on turds.

Our choices are to debunk photos, ignore it, or try and force answers through other avenues like his business partners, magazine, and his social media.

I want what I believe most of us want. Some sort of closure and explanation. We might never get it though.

• Like 4

So I just became aware of this whole debacle and it's beyond disgusting, and just pure ignorance.

I have no doubt in my mind they put an SNES in a Jaguar shell. And they didn't even have the sense to make ANY hardware modications. No power LED? Why?! Because they don't know how to solder an LED, and a resistor to the 7805? They couldn't be bothered to replaced the SPDT slide switch that powers on the SNES with a SIMPLE PUSH BUTTON SWITCH?!

How stupid do they think we are?! Hell! I could've done a BEYOND better job then these idiots. I don't know what to say other than, they blatantly are trying to rip off the community. Does anyone know if the kickstarter happened?

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the kickstarter happened?

Nope, it never happened, even though they've been hyping it for weeks as the day when "all our questions would be answered." After days of silence, and hours after the campaign was supposed to have started, one of their staff tweeted that there was a "change of plans" and that they wouldn't need crowdfunding after all. Then, later that afternoon, they issued a weaselly statement saying that they decided to "delay" the campaign. So we're not entirely sure what the real story is. You can go back a few pages in this thread to track our discussion as the whole thing unfolded. But don't worry ... all we have to do is wait for their next big announcement, because that's when they've promised us that "all will be made clear."

• Like 3

After Mike has finally blown all of his money, and sells the molds, would someone please buy them, and relaunch the the actual Jaguar? Is that even within the realm of feasibility? I would hope so, because that would be pretty awesome IMHO. At least it already exsists as a product, lol.

So I just became aware of this whole debacle and it's beyond disgusting, and just pure ignorance.

I have no doubt in my mind they put an SNES in a Jaguar shell. And they didn't even have the sense to make ANY hardware modications. No power LED? Why?! Because they don't know how to solder an LED, and a resistor to the 7805? They couldn't be bothered to replaced the SPDT slide switch that powers on the SNES with a SIMPLE PUSH BUTTON SWITCH?!

How stupid do they think we are?! Hell! I could've done a BEYOND better job then these idiots. I don't know what to say other than, they blatantly are trying to rip off the community. Does anyone know if the kickstarter happened?

They bailed on Kickstarter with a "hey we need more time to make it EVEN BETTER"

Yeah. I could have made something more realistic in 2 hours than that piece of garbage they brought to a big boy trade show.

Hell... Clip the barrel jack off the power supply leaving 6 inches of cord... Splice an LED, resistor, and switch between the power supply and run the barrel jack back out to the outside to plug back into the outside. Would have been more convincing. They still would have had to deal with that pesky SD2SNES boot screen though.

After Mike has finally blown all of his money, and sells the molds, would someone please buy them, and relaunch the the actual Jaguar? Is that even within the realm of feasibility? I would hope so, because that would be pretty awesome IMHO. At least it already exsists as a product, lol.

if it were me (or anyone, really id think), i would have been selling jag shells all along and squirreling whatever money that was made away to put toward r&d and advertising..of course he would have to run the molds sooner than he would want. maybe only do 2 colors, maaaaybe 3. but hey, if he did that, he could have at least attempted to establish a decent enough rep with the community by doing good business on at least the shells. cant say the mag did that, cant really say anything ive seen out of him thus far has given any faith.

• Like 3

if it were me (or anyone, really id think), i would have been selling jag shells all along and squirreling whatever money that was made away to put toward r&d and advertising..of course he would have to run the molds sooner than he would want. maybe only do 2 colors, maaaaybe 3. but hey, if he did that, he could have at least attempted to establish a decent enough rep with the community by doing good business on at least the shells. cant say the mag did that, cant really say anything ive seen out of him thus far has given any faith.

He did sell the console shells before hand and did a half ass job at it. He missed at least a handful of orders that had been paid in full for which people had to bitch at him publicly to get him to come good on.

• Like 1

geez man...guess i coulda figured really..do you remember if he did multiple colors? i would have thought with the c64 case ks doing well that maybe he would have had a bit of interest there, but then again, thats c64's and not jaguars, quite a bit older, and i guess theres more fanatical c64 fans.

He did sell the console shells before hand and did a half ass job at it. He missed at least a handful of orders that had been paid in full for which people had to bitch at him publicly to get him to come good on.

A real Canadian like myself tells it the way it is. We ain't no nice guys, after all.

• Like 1

I'm sure the kickstarter would have been a total fail. While it would have been amusing, its probably better they packed it in now. Maybe they will come back later this year to amuse us again, but it would really be better for everyone if they just gave it up. Just sell some more colored Jag shells to recoup the losses from this and move on. It was a dumb idea when it was the RetroVGS and it was still a dumb idea when it was the Coleco Chameleon.

All he cared about was those dam shells. (Which were ugly back in the 90's, and are still ugly today)

There is a reason companies destroy the molds after production ends; they don't want to be associated with shitty products, and crack pot stuff being made out of the molds. Atari went bankrupt, so a receiver and/or court order forced them to sell everything they had.

At Games was able to make new shells for the Coleco and INTV flashbacks, because its not very difficult or expensive to make a deal with a Chinese manufacturer to make a new case for you. It only costs hundreds of thousands of dollars for big companies like Sony and Microsoft to make high quality molds. A small production like the flashback consoles makes them on the cheap.

Edited by Hannacek
  • Like 3