IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I'd be very careful with that line of thinking... I'm not at all sure that this blissful ignorance/being taken advantage of tack hasn't been used at least a dozen times since this whole saga began. For me, MK gets no sympathy here until we have way more to work with than a single post highlighting his lack of understanding. He's the guy at the front of all this, he's the one making it happen. The whole RVGS/CC saga has not been fuelled by one man's ignorance and a series of evil, exploitative "hardware guys, not ready to buy that just yet. Lets not forget the kinds of posts that show how MK has squeezed what he can from his happy band of helpers before quietly brushing them aside when it looks like the grass is greener elsewhere or some other $green$ motivator.

Sorry for my late reply. I'm still catching up on 10+ pages of material since I logged off last night. While I was moved by Piko's words initially, after watching the reveal that the "prototype" was naught more than a DVR card shoved into a Jag shell, my opinions changed, and not for the better. I wanted to believe in this. I wanted to believe that a ray of sunshine would pierce the clouds and that maybe a slim chance that Mike could redeem himself. He was innocent until proven guilty in my eyes. Well now that guilt has been revealed and I say good riddens to this stupid Shameleon project, good riddens to Game Gavel, and good riddens to Retro Mag. I don't even care if I ever receive the last two issues I paid for. I am done with Mike. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, never again! :mad:

As for Piko, I still believe in what he does and I think he's a decent human being and his business of selling SNES homebrew and licensing dead properties is a benefit to the overall retro gaming community. As such, I will continue to buy his stuff in the future. A lot of people have been had by Mike and company, including Piko himself as well as others, and whether Mike is the true mastermind behind this or a puppet on a sting, the fact is the whole situation stinks for everyone involved, and I would recommend both to Piko and Collectorvision that they distance themselves as much as possible from this SNAFU of a trainwreck.

• Like 4

It's the guy who sold the molds to Mike, he has a bunch of stock left that he is selling off. These were made for his dental camera company, probably cheaper to make a whole load at once. He seemed like a nice guy in the video of Mike picking up the molds, and has a 100% eBay feedback rating.

It's worth going back and watching that video, I think there's more mysteries contained in it that have yet to be uncovered.

Mike never makes it expressly clear (at this point he hadn't teased his console at all) but they guy starts telling Mike [paraphrasing] "yeah, I had the same idea you have right now, but I'm just too busy..." and looking back it seems like he was trying to say that he's thought of making a console but gave up. He also claims SEGA was interested in the molds at one time. Then again, maybe he was just being an expert salesman because at one point Mike says something like "So I'm not the only crazy guy who wants to try this!?!?! COOL!!!"

So yeah, maybe it's all BS and this guy pulled a good one on Mike.... which is another thing that motivates me to plan a documentary. That guy would definitely be one of the first interviewees. There is so much info we take for granted and I doubt even 75% of it is true.

• Like 6

You should hire Li to install a capture card in the server to capture some of the traffic. He is very good with hardware.

Lol, it is Lee and it is not his last name. He is like the A-Team apparently, I have no idea how to get a hold of him and I doubt Mike would offer access up.

When I get the site back up I should be able, if it is not too late tonight, get the interview with John Carlsen posted.

• Like 9

he didnt even need to show those pics of a network card in a jag shell. all he would have had to do is say 'sorry folks, the kickstarter's delayed' and taken whatever kind of backlash there would have been. it would have been much less damage control. at this point, its as if he wants to do everything completely wrong.

Ahh but Mike had something to prove. His e-peen was on the line when people were talking trash about the SNEZ-jag. He could have coasted under the radar for the rest of this year after the KS postponement with no one the wiser. He broke cover and got caught in the same way like every stupid criminal does -- he needed to stretch his ego.

All that energy and effort put into these fake prototypes -- so many man hours of other people's time wasted. I bet you if he had just sat down with a hardware guy (who got paid upfront!) and hashed out what he wanted and let people do their jobs we'd not only have a working console by now we'd probably be buzzing about the specs for the RetroVGS 2.

There isn't a palm big enough for me to bury my face in.

Edited by rob_ocelot
  • Like 3

I still can't figure out why he waited until the afternoon of his Kickstarter reveal date to postpone the project. Maybe just for dramatic effect? To show- we've been working very very hard up to this second, and if you don't believe us, here's proof with pics of the proto. But it still makes no sense, why keep up the suspense of the morning, there had to be something else going on that we're not seeing.

I suspect he was cobbling together the 'glass bottom boat' version of the Chameleon and taking some pictures at the last minute, likely as Mrs. Kennedy was walking out the door for good.

• Like 1

So yeah, maybe it's all BS and this guy pulled a good one on Mike.... which is another thing that motivates me to plan a documentary. That guy would definitely be one of the first interviewees. There is so much info we take for granted and I doubt even 75% of it is true.

If this documentary gets made, it could be the retro gaming version of Heart of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse or Lost in La Mancha.

• Like 2

Can somebody check on Mike?

I still feel for him as a human being and I hope he's safe. There's only so much silence I can handle while a guy's life falls apart before I suspect he may be in the back of a white Ford Bronco with Steve Woita driving to Mexico.

• Like 12

This guy(Jag Bar?) talks about how he was willing to help film a "promo" video and it never led to light as the guy wanted him to do a clever edit job on the video.

Just came across it from 2 hrs ago uploaded.

lol embed fail...someone can correct or LMK and ill edit.

Edited by RiverCityRansom2

I still feel for him as a human being and I hope he's safe. There's only so much silence I can handle while a guy's life falls apart before I suspect he may be in the back of a white Ford Bronco with Steve Woita driving to Mexico.

I've heard that a white Ford Bronco HAS been making its way to Mexico recently from Mike's last known location, but the guy in the back of the car is NOT Mike Kennedy - It's some unrelated guy named Ydennek Ekim, which is totally 100% not him. Here's a picture:

Nmmj3xn.jpg?1

Edited by harryhenry
  • Like 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv9cPXW1HLM

This guy(Jag Bar?) talks about how he was willing to help film a "promo" video and it never led to light as the guy wanted him to do a clever edit job on the video.

Just came across it from 2 hrs ago uploaded.

lol embed fail...someone can correct or LMK and ill edit.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/?p=3455515

Okay, in all seriousness, I do wonder why Mike's been so... silent lately in the wake of all this drama.

Expert salesmen are full of shit. Its wise to be wary around them. And I have little doubt he was buttered up by whoever he got this molds from.

Anyhow, it seems that Mike simply wanted to use other people's funds, from a kickstarter for example, to begin prototyping a real system. He simply did not want to risk his own hide.

• Like 4

Okay, in all seriousness, I do wonder why Mike's been so... silent lately in the wake of all this drama.

Because while the SNES was damning evidence, it wasn't like he showed the board, proving it 100%. Now that board has been shown, and it's undeniable now that he's a fraud. What can he say at this point? He can't claim that's not what it is. He's a fraud, and I hope he ends up jail.

These people who are worrying about him? Fuck no. If I robbed a bank for over 100,000 dollars, people would want me in jail. That's essentially what he was trying to do here. I guarantee you a system would never have been made. He was just trying to convince people a proto was real enough to get a kickstarter, collect people's cash, then cry in front of a camera a few months latter about how it "didn't work out, and they're out of money"... when in reality he wouldn't have done anything more than what he did now... shove unrelated hardware in jag shells.

And just like a criminal, he didn't think he'd get caught because he thinks he's smarter than everyone else. I hope every business of his goes down the toilet and he goes bankrupt. And everyone who supported the guy while they knew he was lying, deserves the same damned fate.

Sorry I'm pissed, but sympathy is wasted on this worm.

• Like 3

what can he do now? seems he may be thinking how to bring up a new fake prototype rather than "guys i fucked up, sorry"

what can he do now? seems he may be thinking how to bring up a new fake prototype rather than "guys i fucked up, sorry"

Good point! In my mind he'd probably do this:

"And on the Coleco Chameleon these words appear:

"My name is Mike Kennedy, king of kings:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains: round the decay

Of that 'prototype' console, boundless and bare,

The lone and level games stretch far away."

- "Mike Kennedy" poem by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1818)

Edited by harryhenry

Anyhow, it seems that Mike simply wanted to use other people's funds, from a kickstarter for example, to begin prototyping a real system. He simply did not want to risk his own hide.

Smart people don't use their own money. They get other people to pay for the invention or whatever it is. Speaking of money, I just saw this page in the Google search results about how people can make money with credit:

How to Make Money With Credit