IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

No worries, colecting a list twice at least insures there is less chance we missed something.

Albert if you read this, give the years sub to SD&R i'm already subbed!

Thank you for your list as well! I will need to look at both of them and merge them if necessary. I've added a year to your subscription as well, I appreciate the amount of time it took to put these lists together!

Edit: I added your entire list of links to the first post in the thread as well.

..Al

• Like 10

No worries, colecting a list twice at least insures there is less chance we missed something.

Albert if you read this, give the years sub to SD&R, i'm already subbed!

So I want to address something that I thought about while creating my own list above.

When you do modifications to an existing design that require significant "addition" to the plastics, the other side of the mold requires significant removal, likewise when you require significant removal of plastics, the other side requires significant addition, all of this is generally (when people are using existing production molds) done by having NEW molds created, sometimes it's possible to modify existing molds and only go new for a mold half instead, it drastically cuts the cost of mold production but permanently alters the original mold.

I hope to f*#king god Mike doesn't, in his pursuit of a day dream, cut corners and have some factory modify the Jaguar molds, because if they do the original molds for the Jaguar will be lost forever.

i don't think he would ruin the molds. If he's not stupid, he could at least sell them and make some money.
  • Like 1

i don't think he would ruin the molds. If he's not stupid, he could at least sell them and make some money.

My worry comes from the (as i understand it) situation that his injection molding factory has the molds in their possession, it takes just one slip up to cause carnage.

Eg, if he calls them and they say "we can do that, it'll cost $xxx, or we can do this and it'll be cheaper" without stating specifically "but your molds will be forever different", he could, just being a PR guy and not an engineer, give the go ahead not even realizing whats going to happen.

• Like 2

My worry comes from the (as i understand it) situation that his injection molding factory has the molds in their possession, it takes just one slip up to cause carnage.

Eg, if he calls them and they say "we can do that, it'll cost $xxx, or we can do this and it'll be cheaper" without stating specifically "but your molds will be forever different", he could, just being a PR guy and not an engineer, give the go ahead not even realizing whats going to happen.

yeah, i agree. He may not care about the molds, and this is the problem.

But he cares about money, and we should hope his love for money is bigger than his love for his hobby.

As someone stated, he could just sell Jag shells and make some money, he wouldn't even need to sell the molds.

But after all these "incredibly smart" decisions, i wouldn't be surprised if he did something stupid to the molds.

Edited by raz

Aren't the molds already ruined though?? They had the rear panel permanently removed and the front no longer has the Atari logo and controller port numbers.

Remember- the guy who sold them to Mike wanted to melt them down. I say we should be thankful that if Mike didn't get a lot of use out of them, over here we at least got plenty of lulz.

I always thought you could put some glass over them and make some sweet coffee tables for a video game museum but otherwise, if they're gone I don't consider it a loss... I mean, as long as we get to see video of Mike when they're thrown into Mount Doom while Taps plays.

• Like 8

I hope to f*#king god Mike doesn't, in his pursuit of a day dream, cut corners and have some factory modify the Jaguar molds, because if they do the original molds for the Jaguar will be lost forever.

The only was his ventures involving the moulds have proved to be profitable so far is by selling them to Jaguar fans and game producers. It'd make sense to leave them be and guarantee at least some income via that route, as long as the Jaguar fans remain willing to purchase them.

Aren't the molds already ruined though?? They had the rear panel permanently removed and the front no longer has the Atari logo and controller port numbers.

There's a bit of a hassle making the light pipe and power switch work as well, but it's more a matter of removing some plastic than something being lacking. But, generally, they're good enough to house a Jaguar.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 2

Remember- the guy who sold them to Mike wanted to melt them down. I say we should be thankful that if Mike didn't get a lot of use out of them, over here we at least got plenty of lulz.

I always thought you could put some glass over them and make some sweet coffee tables for a video game museum but otherwise, if they're gone I don't consider it a loss... I mean, as long as we get to see video of Mike when they're thrown into Mount Doom while Taps plays.

It would actually be possible to restore them to their original state using insert blocks that are cloned from the original paneling, providing the edges were crisp and free of contaminates it would work well with minimal flash

• Like 2

But hey, y'all didn't include my joke in those relevant important posts! lol

Anyway,

1. I never thought the Chameleon would amount to much anyway. If it had ever come out, I figured that it wouldn't sell that many and there wouldn't be many games for it. And that the lack of games would mean even fewer sales and the fewer sales would mean less games... the downward spiral. If it had ever come out, it might have been interesting to have one, as a piece of history. Like buying a game.com or something. You know, not because it's a great gaming machine, but because it was there.

2. Not sure how the cartridges would have been manufactured, but if it was anything more than a flash drive inside, they probably would have been cost prohibitive to produce, especially in the small runs that they probably would have had. I know there have been some cartridge home brew type games put out by AA and AA members. Anyone have any hard numbers on how much boards cost for things? Like new boards? Not just taking an old Combat cart and reprogramming it or something.

3. I agree that Gamester81/John would have been better off if his "apology" video had been handled differently. Personally, I would have done a, "Hey, sorry guys, I was wrong. I was fooled like you were. I probably stuck around with it longer than I should have because of my relationship with Mike. My company has parted ways with the Chameleon team. I took down my video because I no longer believed in the project like I once did and I didn't want a video I made to be leading someone the wrong way. I'm sorry if I've caused anyone any headaches over all this. Stick around because I've got review videos of..." I don't think he's a bad guy, but I do think he's handling this wrong. I look forward to the next CUPodcast with Ian and Pat to see how they respond.

4. AlphaOmegaSin isn't my favorite youtuber. His videos are often a bit too "ranty" for me. I enjoy him more when he's on the Game Chasers. But he brought up the idea that people wouldn't want to see something shaped like the Jaguar. I like the look of the Jag. Maybe I'm weird. Who knows. I know that I don't really think there are any "ugly" systems. I even don't mind the look of the CD add on. I think it looks more like a horseshoe crab than a toilet.

5. I agree this thread is crazy. Last time I was this interested in actually reading most of a long thread like this was the Atari landfill thread... you know... back before it was all confirmed and dug up.

It would actually be possible to restore them to their original state using insert blocks that are cloned from the original paneling, providing the edges were crisp and free of contaminates it would work well with minimal flash

True. In the video at the mold place they show the back panel insert, so he probably does have it.

Mike also said in an early post that he would see if it was possible to reattach but the prospect didn't look good.

I was looking at my Jag the other day and wondered about the Atari logo on the front and how the removed that. I guess just fill in that section of the mold with more metal or something?

great job sd&r!! thats a hell of a list!

vanta, i think the molds have already been altered enough that they wouldnt work for the jag, right? i thought the dental company changed them. wonder if theres a way to find out for sure.

They do work as Mike sold shells here to Jag fan. the only mod he claimed to do was for the cart shell to remove the fuji logo.

He didn't touch the Jag shell, granted the back panel is amiss.

I believe the other difference has something to do with the screw posts, but I heard it is minor.

• Like 1

great job sd&r!! thats a hell of a list!

vanta, i think the molds have already been altered enough that they wouldnt work for the jag, right? i thought the dental company changed them. wonder if theres a way to find out for sure.

That's another thing. I remember seeing a video where they were saying that Jaguars were being used in dental offices and then Alpha said in his video "the system is used in dentist's offices." I was always under the impression that the company that made the dental cameras just used the Jag shell, right? There wasn't actual Jaguar Tom and Jerry in there running pics of molars, right? I get annoyed when people don't make that distinction.

But anyway, are there any pics of what exactly was inside those dental camera shells? Maybe there was a board with the anchor points or whatever they're called in the same place?

I got a few questions:

How does kickstarter work? With the original RetroVGS kickstarter, did they have to reach their goal funding FIRST, in order to actually take people's money? Or did they already take people's money, and then give them refunds?

If a scam was really underway, why did they give refunds at that point? I'm just trying to figure out the details. If they were scamming, wouldn't they just run off with whatever money they raised? Something is confusing about it.

With a Kickstarter, you would have to reach your goal to get the funding. If it's below the amount after the amount of time, I don't believe that it collects the money due to not reaching your goal. As far as a refund goes, I think it depends on the company doing the Kickstarter, because it's handled by the creator. So, it would be possible to have someone do a Kickstarter, and run off with the money. i know it's happened on a few of the Board Game ones.

• Like 1

That's another thing. I remember seeing a video where they were saying that Jaguars were being used in dental offices and then Alpha said in his video "the system is used in dentist's offices." I was always under the impression that the company that made the dental cameras just used the Jag shell, right? There wasn't actual Jaguar Tom and Jerry in there running pics of molars, right? I get annoyed when people don't make that distinction.

But anyway, are there any pics of what exactly was inside those dental camera shells? Maybe there was a board with the anchor points or whatever they're called in the same place?

In any case this is how it looked, not sure if the cart was a "spit collector" or what?

post-36731-0-78054300-1455773004.jpg

<sarcasm>

Can anybody see if the cart has a sticker with "Coleco Chameleon Protoype 0" written over it?

</sarcasm>

• Like 2

Heh, looked up on Google to see if I could see a pic of the inside of the dental machine jag shells and saw the following Youtube video. (He opens it up at around 2 minutes in so you can see the screw posts and such.) Anyway, read the top comment. Don't believe I know who Larry Bundy Jr is, never watched his videos, but a quick look at his page doesn't reveal any Chameleon related videos...

• Like 3

In any case this is how it looked, not sure if the cart was a "spit collector" or what?

<sarcasm>

Can anybody see if the cart has a sticker with "Coleco Chameleon Protoype 0" written over it?

</sarcasm>

Yeah, knew what the outside looked like, was interested in seeing if there were any pics of what was inside... the board and guts of that camera thing.

And as far as the cartridge goes, I figured it would be the Jag version of Tooth Protectors. :grin:

• Like 5

Heh, looked up on Google to see if I could see a pic of the inside of the dental machine jag shells and saw the following Youtube video. (He opens it up at around 2 minutes in so you can see the screw posts and such.) Anyway, read the top comment. Don't believe I know who Larry Bundy Jr is, never watched his videos, but a quick look at his page doesn't reveal any Chameleon related videos...

Larry is a stand up dude. He has been following the Chameleon fiasco. In fact Larry is very knowledgeable when it comes to video game history in the UK.

Edited by MagnaRyuu
  • Like 1

post-36731-0-78054300-1455773004.jpg

<sarcasm>

</sarcasm>

No it wouldn't have been a spit collector cause this is a camera. It was more then likely just there to fill the cartridge hole

• Like 1

Don't believe I know who Larry Bundy Jr is, never watched his videos, but a quick look at his page doesn't reveal any Chameleon related videos...

i'm kindof surprised by that, you would have thought that MK would milk every last of his friendships to get the word out about the thing... that is, unless he took them down already. that said, larry is just another video game youtuber. he's been on some podcasts here and there as well.

No it wouldn't have been a spit collector cause this is a camera. It was more then likely just there to fill the cartridge hole

maybe that's where they put the tv?

Edited by some_canuck

20 minutes of my life wasted that I'll never get back...

I know it's wrong, but I can't help it...I get very annoyed at the guy. He's simply awful!

Is it just me, or does he also try to come off as very tough bad-ass?

As soon as people get a tatoo or a viking-beard, they're ready for prime time.

• Like 9