IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Word Mark CHAMELEON VIDEO-GAME SYSTEM Goods and Services IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Video game consoles Standard Characters Claimed Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK Serial Number 86897164 Filing Date February 4, 2016 Current Basis 1B Original Filing Basis 1B Owner (APPLICANT) Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 28516 Sorano Cove Trabuco Canyon CALIFORNIA 92679 Type of Mark TRADEMARK Register PRINCIPAL Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

this filing seems to be in line with the timeframe of 'we have nothing but e-tape and 16 bits'. seems like a pretty late filing too when youve got jack squat.

Sorry if this is a repeat, haven't noticed it mentioned in this massive thread or on the first page.

I was looking at the Retro magazine page and skimmed through the podcast posted on 2/20. Starting at 53:30 they start talking about the Toy Fair booth, and at 56:20 someone says "I'm here. This is not an SNES."

http://readretro.com/features/talk-retro-24/

• Like 2

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/8/11180670/coleco-chameleon-terminated-retrovgs-closed-down

"Thomann said engineers contacted by a River West representative examined the console "and we weren't satisfied with it.""

"We thought it would be an originally developed console, and the indications were that it just wasn't."

Sounds like they did provide them with something and I'm not gonna lie, I'm very curious as to what they gave them.

My guess is either some sort of off the shelf board, or a rainbow painted rock in a Jag shell.

I cant see them handing in the snes-in-a-jag proto but I still cant help but laugh when I picture that.

Just catching up with thread so someone else may have commented on this already, but I think they may be talking about Chris Cardillo's chat with his engineer friend. The one that made the frying pan and spark plug comment.

• Like 1

I like the idea of starting a new thread, since this begins a new (and perhaps final) chapter in the lifecycle of this console. However, I want people who read this thread to be able to respond to it. After all, there are over 6,500 replies in this thread, and it would be aggravating to read a post and discover the topic is locked and you're unable to reply. Manually copying a quoted post from one thread to another is a pain.

I could start a new thread and let this one run in parallel for a while until it dies down, and encourage people to post in the new thread. But, then we have two parallel threads, which could be a bit confusing.

..Al

IBTL. :ponder:

I've only been a member since November, but this thread has easily been what has drawn me into this site. This, and excitement over Kevtris's Zimba 3000, which funny enough is pretty much the polar opposite as far as the RVGS/Chameleon fiasco!

I literally registered a day ago because the coverage of this whole fiasco in this forum was fantastic (And because I actually do care about retro stuff, heh).

• Like 4

So the dragon has finally been slain huh? Good riddance i say. May you and your wicked ways be buried forever.

The bad news here is that i feel a tiny bit empty now, the kind of feeling you get when you finish the last page in a great book or watch the last episode of your favourite show. Some wicked part of me wants to see the zombie rise again so we might pick up the sword and fight it one last time.

I will get a subscription here tomorrow to celebrate this occasion and to thank this community in a small but sincere way.

• Like 13

Starting at 53:30 they start talking about the Toy Fair booth, and at 56:20 someone says "I'm here. This is not an SNES."

That must have been what Pat and Ian were referring to. They called the guy out (I think it was Daniel Kayser) for insisting that it wasn't an SNES even though he never saw the board and didn't know any more than anyone else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s07ypF5hr1A

(Jump to about 10:03)

• Like 4

I don't get how that list works. I've been refreshing the page for the past 3 hours and I'm not listed

EDIT: I guess you have to post something as now I'm in the list

No, it should include anyone viewing the thread, except those who wish to remain anonymous.

..Al

I think they were quoting a tweet by Frank Cifaldi (which was pictured in the article): "Evidence suggests the new Coleco prototype at Toy Fair might literally be a SNES Jr. duct-taped into a Jaguar shell."

The wording is interesting here:

I do wonder what Mike ultimately ended up showing them. It sounds like it could have been anything.

And the thread title is once again relevant - speculation on WTF MK offered up to Coleco.

#TeamKeepThreadUnlocked

I imagine it went something like this:

"Gentlemen, before I present our prototype, I would like to invite you to help yourself to the coke and whores buffet I have set up for you."

• Like 8

What a sad (yet predictable) end to this saga. Hopefully this will serve as a warning to others, but no one ever seems to learn from history these days.

I hope everyone who came to AA because of this will stick around and contribute. Maybe some good will come out of all of this.

• Like 8

Remember, this is only strike 2.

The RetroVGS is dead. Long live the Coleco Chameleon.

The Coleco Chameleon is dead. Long live the ... [to be continued]

Mike wants to take on The Rift and Vive but still keep it Retro so he is bringing back Virtuality.

post-27767-0-81126600-1457475587_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

No, it should include anyone viewing the thread, except those who wish to remain anonymous.

..Al

People must drop off the list after a certain amount of time if they haven't reloaded the page in a while though don't they?

• Like 1