IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

More effort went into that video than the actual Chameleon prototype and marketing campaign.

Speaking of that video:

post-13-0-34854200-1457832632.png

post-13-0-34854200-1457832632_thumb.png

Replayability

I didn't hear "thanks to AtariAge" anywhere. Maybe I missed it.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/

SILVERMANIA

I got all my info from the CU Podcast and second hand.... but, yeah, they did a lot of the sleuthing. Also, stop using forums, it isn't 2004 anymore.

You Tube viewer

+SILVERMANIA Oh good, no more Neogaf then.

Waifu Slayer

+You Tube viewer Does that mean Kotaku is gone also?

SILVERMANIA

+Replayability But, seriously, big thanks to those guys. I kinda troll my audience and comment section, so, not sure if you're used to that.... probably never heard of me before (probably better off that way too!!) Excuse my 2004 joke too, your forums are free of shitty Facebook trolls and YouTube drama, so, it works well. Tight niche. Thanks for watching.

ColecoVision North

+SILVERMANIA ...and CUPodcast got all their info from the AtariAge forums ;)

• Like 10

Its some sort of set in an office with cubicles everywhere.

I havent the slightest why they made it look like that.

Probably to evoke some sort of retro vibe.

Idk about you but I never had astroturf in my house growing up.

Maybe on a porch, but never inside the house and we were poor as hell lol.

Wonder if they have lawyers and showers at that place.

Still seems kind of odd to me to have a fake basement with 70s furniture that multiple people make YouTube videos at.

• Like 1

Everytime I find something I like it has to be old as sh*t...

Good thing that all of the discussions here are about brand new cutting age technology and games..

Oh wait they're not, and Ive never once solved a tech problem through facebook and the such..

I also noticed that unboxing was at the same place that Mike Matei and some other guy do longplays..

Here's one:

Yeah in Silvermania's last live stream someone mentioned that and they told the person that they are on a set

#################################################################################################################################################################

NO BULLSHIT ZONE

Once upon a time Socal Mike was a family member and if you want to see what an honest Socal Mike product reveal looks like here it is. Everything he says is true, that envelope came from my house to his and he shows what we built. Had he stuck with his brothers I bet the Coleco Chameleon would be an actual product.

• Like 5

I hope they release that image file so we can make our own Chameleon boxes. I want one sooooo bad!!

Mike ain't coming back and maybe that's a good thing. But while I come to grips with that I'm starting to see this as a truly satisfying end. Just when his dream console finally went viral like he always wanted, he abandoned the controls and hit the ejection lever. Had he not fucked up as hard as he did I don't think it would have gone viral in the first place, it would have ended as quietly as the RVGS IndieGoGo.

I'm happy with this console being as mocked, as misunderstood and as mythical as Polybius. Both he and the console have left a legacy that anyone in the know will pick and prod at for many years to come. Mike didn't gain anything from this stunt, but we as a community sure did.

• Like 10

First of all, to those who have made videos about this on their YT channel - thanks and especially StopDrop&Retro - your videos are filled with a ton of great information, but not only that, but are also fun to watch. Anywho, I honestly do not understand why he thought this would be something viable. Those that wanted this were excited about it and were like - cool, we can now collect new carts.....but failed to realize that good old Mrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Kennedy (the way Mr. Ken Kennedy/Anderson says it in WWE/TNA) even said that NOT many games would be made for this, but oh well. With so many different consoles out there that can play a ton of different systems, using carts, and I know some do it through emulation even with the cart, in retrospect, I think his price point was absurd. Hell, I can go over to Gamestops website and on their web store only, I can pick up a Retron 5 for $99 and I have thought about doing that but wasnt sure if they were any good or if anyone here has one and would recommend one. Other than that, that patch picture that some use as their image, that NEEDS to be made into a real patch - Id buy one and wear it with pride. But if it is already made into one, I love to get the link to pick one up

• Like 3

#################################################################################################################################################################

NO BULLSHIT ZONE

Once upon a time Socal Mike was a family member and if you want to see what an honest Socal Mike product reveal looks like here it is. Everything he says is true, that envelope came from my house to his and he shows what we built. Had he stuck with his brothers I bet the Coleco Chameleon would be an actual product.

Remember what has been said about Mike.....when he speaks out the right side of his mouth its all bs, right?

NO BULLSHIT ZONE

He thanks Game Gavel like it's a separate entity?

• Like 1

Dead or not the thread will cross the 500K views on its own ...

I noticed some linger effect on the RVGS closed thread, it picked up 20K views after it got locked down or something.

Is there a special badge when the 500K view would happen that we can slap to the thread?

There are "hot" threads, this should be marked as "epic" imho.

• Like 6

First of all, to those who have made videos about this on their YT channel - thanks and especially StopDrop&Retro - your videos are filled with a ton of great information, but not only that, but are also fun to watch. Anywho, I honestly do not understand why he thought this would be something viable. Those that wanted this were excited about it and were like - cool, we can now collect new carts.....but failed to realize that good old Mrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Kennedy (the way Mr. Ken Kennedy/Anderson says it in WWE/TNA) even said that NOT many games would be made for this, but oh well. With so many different consoles out there that can play a ton of different systems, using carts, and I know some do it through emulation even with the cart, in retrospect, I think his price point was absurd. Hell, I can go over to Gamestops website and on their web store only, I can pick up a Retron 5 for $99 and I have thought about doing that but wasnt sure if they were any good or if anyone here has one and would recommend one. Other than that, that patch picture that some use as their image, that NEEDS to be made into a real patch - Id buy one and wear it with pride. But if it is already made into one, I love to get the link to pick one up

I'm kinda new to forums so I hope this isn't too far off topic...Talking about cart based systems, I have a Retron 5 and totally recommend it!

The positives are Beautiful HDMI outputs and you can control any game with any pad...But it does feel Emulator-ish (which it is). For example (just off the top of my head) Ultimate Qix for Sega Genesis plays Way too fast compared to my Sega Nomad, and Wario Blast for Gameboy has no Bomb sounds which are kind of important for a Bomberman type game. And if you dig NES/Famicom you might just want to go with a Generation NEX, Because Retron 5 won't play certain famiclone variants, certain pirate carts, certain repros, certain homebrews, or Any multicarts (even legal ones). Also sometimes you will get a message of "Unknown Game" which may or may not play. Totally worth $99 though.

As for Chameleon (and its price point), if there were some new games, even just a handful, it might have been worth it...

dommie, on 12 Mar 2016 - 9:45 PM, said:

The Retron 5 is ok, but I prefer the Retro Freak. Better build quality, more flexible, and the TG16/PCE/SGFX slot is awesome.

Turbografx and PC Engine support???

Ok Looking up Retro Freak now!!

Thanks Dommie! :-D

Just wanted to give my opinion on this. Facebook is an absolutely atrocious medium for long-term discussions on just about any topic. It's fine for whatever is hot at This Very Moment, but if you want to have any sort of meaningful discussion, it's a mess. Facebook "posts" are displayed newest-first, it's a huge pain in the neck to read conversations that have tons of posts, and especially nested posts, it's often very difficult to find new posts within a conversation (especially when nested posts are involved), good luck trying to find old conversations that have long ago scrolled way, managing attachments of any kind is an exercise in frustration, and so forth. There's no way to structure conversations into different topics, short of creating a separate Facebook Group for each topic, but that does not give you any type of fine-grained structure.

There is no way a thread such as this could have taken place on Facebook.

..Al

Thank you. You just summed up perfectly why, as much as I do use Facebook as a social media platform, it will never replace web-based forums as an actual topic discussion medium.

• Like 1

That's basically how I see it. Forums are for specialized interests and information while social networking is for...well...

On a more serious note, something that annoys me about YouTube is that they got rid of the video responses. I hate the format of the separate conversations that are in order of most recent instead of beginning to end and how you have to click more to read anything longer than a Tweet. I preferred back when you could ignore all of that and focus on the video responses. Someone would make point or ask a question in a video, under it would be like 10 video responses, you could watch all of them, and then watch the responses to the responses. By the time you get done you have a firm grasp on everyone's stance, figure out your own based on all the points you agree to, get introduced to and know new channels, etc. All the disorganized comments below just seem like a bunch of random people arguing in the theater during the movie.

You know it's kind of stupid that twitter limits the character length of a post. A lot of people reply TL:DR when someone posts a "wall of text", but I disagree.

While it is generally a good etiquette to chunk your thoughts up into paragrahs using the double carriage return, it is the longer posts with several paragraphs that I actually find worth reading, and stuff like "awesome" or "sweet pic, bro" or textless emoji responses just wastes time. The only exception is unmoderated news sites like Yahoo, et al which filter for swears but not content. The religious, political, and occasional sexist, racist, or homophobic posts are the exception to the rule though. They rarely use paragraph blocking and some forget to punctuate, capitalize, uze l33t speak, or in some cases TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

Despite this, I still chuckle some of the posts by the conspirator whackos, like how NASA staged the moon landing or president Bush masterminded the 9/11 attacks, or "we can't explain the how or why of some ancient ruin so aliens must be involved."

I've been working on a totally original stage production of the whole Coleco Chameleon debacle. I'm thinking of calling it Kennedy or A SoCal tragedy.

I'm planning to launch my Kickstarter campaign pretty soon and am looking forward to all the money from the backers.

Here is a small sample of my totally original work.

Kennedy - Act 5, Scene 5

[scene set: Atop the parapet at Retro Video Game Systems Inc. world headquarters.]

[Enter KENNEDY, KAMINSKI, and soldiers with drum and colours,]

[KENNEDY] Hang out our banners on the outward walls;

The cry is still 'They come:' our castle's strength

Will laugh a siege to scorn: here let them lie

Till famine and the ague eat them up:

Were they not forced with those that should be ours,

We might have met them dareful, beard to beard,

And beat them backward home.

[The ring of a phone from within]

What is that noise?

[KAMINSKY] It is the ring of a phone, my good lord. [Exit]

[KENNEDY] I have almost forgot the taste of fears;

The time has been, my senses would have cool'd

To hear a night-shriek; and my fell of hair

Would at a dismal treatise rouse and stir

As life were in't: I have supp'd full with horrors;

Direness, familiar to my slaughterous thoughts

Cannot once start me.

[Re-enter KAMINSKI]

Wherefore was that call?

[KAMINSKI] Coleco, my lord, thy license deal is dead.

[KENNEDY] It should have died hereafter;

There would have been a time for such a word.

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day

To the last syllable of recorded time,

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

And then is heard no more: it is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing.

[Enter a Messenger]

Thou comest to use thy tongue; thy story quickly.

[MESSENGER] Gracious my lord,

I should report that which I say I saw,

But know not how to do it.

[KENNEDY] Well, say, sir.

[MESSENGER] As I did stand my watch upon the hill,

I look'd toward Youtube and anon, methought,

The NES Punk and Ian began to complain.

[KENNEDY] Liar and slave!

[MESSENGER] Let me endure your wrath, if't be not so:

Within thy own browser may you see it coming;

I say, a complaining punk and cohort.

[KENNEDY] If thou speak'st false,

Upon the next tree shalt thou hang alive,

Till famine cling thee: if thy speech be sooth,

I care not if thou dost for me as much.

I pull in resolution, and begin

To doubt the equivocation of the fiend

That lies like truth: 'Fear not, till Pat the NES Punk

Do condemn thy name:' and now a Punk

Calls against mine. Arm, arm, and out!

If this which he avouches does appear,

There is nor flying hence nor tarrying here.

I gin to be aweary of the sun,

And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.

Ring the alarum-bell! Blow, wind! come, wrack!

You lot take care of this, I've pressing business elsewhere. [Exit]

Bravo! I think we have found the World's next Shakespeare! :grin: