IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

That deadline for March 29th (originally Feb) for the new goal of 1/2 of the minimum amount necessary for an issue run has come and gone btw...... Simple as that.

LOL, he will drop it to one quarter the goal and set the deadline back to May.MK never turns down money... :P

I think these guys nailed it already! http://www.inkwhiskey.com/

Yeah one concern I had with the NES flasks was color fastness of the labels. It would have to be baked in to be dishwasher or minimally handwash safe. Stainless steel is also more sanitary cleaning wise for enclosed containers compared to plastic. The new products are interesting to say the least, like say the Triforce jello/ice molds, but certain items like the E-tanks might need explaining if people aren't familiar with the game on hand. NES carts need no introduction normally.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK ...... here we go!!!!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/263010-project-prometheus-a-new-colecovision-compatible-console/page-4?do=findComment&comment=3741908

post-1432-0-22505200-1492259298.jpg

Yep, I believe that shape cannot be confused easily and it's a Coleco 2/++ kind of a new retro consoles (no more details as of now aside that it runs on a Z80 which supposedly will run with perf at the level of a 68K at around 8Mhz [basically putting it right at the level of the 4th gen16bit consoles], and it uses a long forgotten but advanced chipset from the '80 for gfx, not sure about sfx).

As Pixelboy put it:

"Eduardoes what Kennedon't!"

I am more on the .... why oh why? Were cheap cases from china all sold out? But hey maybe, maybe, we'll see a Coleco 2/++ inside of a Jag case doing the meth math.

• Like 1

I'm all for the idea of reusing the Jaguar shell for a new console. I was even in favor of it for the Retro VGS, before it became obvious that reusing the shell was about as far as Mike's "planning" ever went. If it has to be done, Opcode at least seems to be doing it right: they came up with a workable hardware design first, and then decided to use the Jaguar case. They'll probably have to make some modifications to it if they want backward-compatibility with original ColecoVision cartridges, though; that Jaguar cartridge slot is too narrow.

EDIT: Judging from the connector footprint on that board, it doesn't look like they're using a standard 2.54mm edge connector. It almost looks like a PCIe X8 connector, which wouldn't be a bad choice; they're cheap and plentiful, and it would be easy to design new boards for them that would fit into the Jaguar cartridge shells.

I personally feel that if Eduardo can pull off putting an awesome ColecoVision compatible machine into a Jaguar shell then that is the most amazing retrogaming trolling stunt ever done! I'm all for the sarcasm and irony behind it! lol

• Like 2

He did say in that thread not to necessarily assume anything.

But why, oh why use this format given the history that is now around it. I guess in some since it would be a funny "stick it to you" MK if indeed he is going to use an actual Jag case.... on the other hand, fond memories are not associated with it either.

• Like 1

Does this mean my 'prototype cartridge' is now obsolete? Should I replace the SNEZz PCB inside with a CoLeeCo cart? I did a lot of HardWork to make this!

All kidding aside, I would at least consider purchasing a Modern day ColecoVision compatible device, especially if it had an upgraded controller.

post-12607-0-18403100-1492283214_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I guess in some since it would be a funny "stick it to you" MK if indeed he is going to use an actual Jag case.... on the other hand, fond memories are not associated with it either.

If that's his intention, I get the joke. But will everyone else?

If this becomes a reality I can totally see Mike using this to vindicate himself with "see!!! I told you it would work!! I wanted to do the same thing but the haters on AtariAge shot me down!! I was right all along!!" The average Kotaku reader might not see the difference between someone's passion project that uses the Jag shell for fun and a guy who went to crowdfunding with the Jag shells to cash in.

• Like 4

If this becomes a reality I can totally see Mike using this to vindicate himself with "see!!! I told you it would work!! I wanted to do the same thing but the haters on AtariAge shot me down!! I was right all along!!" The average Kotaku reader might not see the difference between someone's passion project that uses the Jag shell for fun and a guy who went to crowdfunding with the Jag shells to cash in.

If it actually works and is a decent system that has an interested audience, does it even matter?

If that's his intention, I get the joke. But will everyone else?

Agreed. While the joke is genuinely fun and everything, I REALLY don't want to see Mike using this to vindicate himself. The average person won't bother to do proper research and will believe that yes, Mike indeed was just "another victim" of haters.

It's nice to know it can be done in theory or anything, but I'm not sure a Jaguar Shell should be used. Not to mention, nothing stopping Mike (other than common sense, mind you) from using the guy's design to sell his own stupid projects.

• Like 2

Agreed. While the joke is genuinely fun and everything, I REALLY don't want to see Mike using this to vindicate himself. The average person won't bother to do proper research and will believe that yes, Mike indeed was just "another victim" of haters.

It's nice to know it can be done in theory or anything, but I'm not sure a Jaguar Shell should be used. Not to mention, nothing stopping Mike (other than common sense, mind you) from using the guy's design to sell his own stupid projects.

Seeing as Albert owns the Jag molds now not Mike, I don't see that happening.

• Like 3

I seem to recall Opcode wanted to use them for a future hardware project. Albert can use the cart shells to sell homebrew, but I think the Jag shells have limited utility unless someone wants one as a replacement for a cosmetically damaged console.

After looking through the Retro Magazine website, Patreon, and Facebook accounts, it occurs to me that there's no real effort to seek out new writers or talent. Note that the last few issues were mostly farmed "tips", interviews, and repackaging of existing content... so basically Mike is running out of material, still wants to publish future issues, and isn't bothering to actually seek out the content to fill the void.

That's as crazy as... oh, I don't know, trying to market a console without having any games.

• Like 5

I hope you realize who we're talking about here. This is the guy who supported a video calling out Sean Robinson because he claimed it backs up his version of the events where Sean ripped him off and he was just a blissfully ignorant victim. A victim who paid a sketchy guy $10,000 for a prototype he never opened, never wondered why it uses a proprietary SNES video output jack, nor asked why it only plays SNES games... off a SD2snes he previously reviewed. Yep. Totally a victim.

Mike will play the victim card wherever the opportunity presents itself. This has nothing to do with him not owning the molds anymore and has everything to do with preserving the facts of what happened here.

"Yeah, I had the exact same idea back when I owned the molds. But the haters and trolls on AtariAge burned down my campaign. I'm glad to see someone's out there carrying on the spirit of the Retro VGS!"

• Like 5

After looking through the Retro Magazine website, Patreon, and Facebook accounts, it occurs to me that there's no real effort to seek out new writers or talent. Note that the last few issues were mostly farmed "tips", interviews, and repackaging of existing content... so basically Mike is running out of material, still wants to publish future issues, and isn't bothering to actually seek out the content to fill the void.

That's as crazy as... oh, I don't know, trying to market a console without having any games console.

Fixed that for you :-D

• Like 3

I seem to recall Opcode wanted to use them for a future hardware project. Albert can use the cart shells to sell homebrew, but I think the Jag shells have limited utility unless someone wants one as a replacement for a cosmetically damaged console.

owning the moulds and having a place to make them are entirely different things

if al can start squishing them out, I think it would be a while for a return in investment considering the market

I hope you realize who we're talking about here. This is the guy who supported a video calling out Sean Robinson because he claimed it backs up his version of the events where Sean ripped him off and he was just a blissfully ignorant victim. A victim who paid a sketchy guy $10,000 for a prototype he never opened, never wondered why it uses a proprietary SNES video output jack, nor asked why it only plays SNES games... off a SD2snes he previously reviewed. Yep. Totally a victim.

Mike will play the victim card wherever the opportunity presents itself. This has nothing to do with him not owning the molds anymore and has everything to do with preserving the facts of what happened here.

"Yeah, I had the exact same idea back when I owned the molds. But the haters and trolls on AtariAge burned down my campaign. I'm glad to see someone's out there carrying on the spirit of the Retro VGS!"

And we will be happy to set the record straight like always. For an example, we would clarify that we are drunken haters and trolls.

• Like 3

owning the moulds and having a place to make them are entirely different things

if al can start squishing them out, I think it would be a while for a return in investment considering the market

I'm sure he has a means to use the molds.

• Like 1

That's as crazy as... oh, I don't know, trying to market a console without having any games.

At least they don't seem to be separating many people from much money. Patreon update:

post-2410-0-87076600-1492957257_thumb.png

• Like 3

At least they don't seem to be separating many people from much money. Patreon update:

attachicon.gifIMG_7565.PNG

I'm surprised it's that high, I can't fathom that the number of people who would trust Mike Kennedy or Retro Magazine is in the triple digits. That, and the fact that the average pledge is about $6... Im not sure I'd pay $6 for a magazine I actually LIKED, much less that fishwrapper...

• Like 3

I haven't look into that thread recently. He did have board he showed, but I am not certain Opcode is set on using that shape necessarily.

• Like 1

Once again proving you are a board certified mikeologist. Almost to a word you have described EXACTLY his world view.

He blames the following for his present state of affairs:

1. A small vocal minority of haters on the internet.

2. Me.

3. The jerks on Atari Age.

4. Mr Lee.

He accepts that his name is poisoning anything it is associated with but is adamant that it is due to the above reasons and no fault of his own other than the missteps of coming into contact with those forces. He's looking to offload the company in a variety of ways as convoluted as any other business venture to date but is quite certain that his ventures will soar with just a few minor tweaks. That last bit reminds me of every busted coin-op game on craigslist that just needs a fuse. I am certain that if he found a buyer to put enough cash in his pocket to erase the debts in exchange for the mag that what SDR predicted would not be far behind.

For #1 he can't comprehend the community as a whole, except for a small minority, rejected the schemes. He also shows no understanding of the nature of the challenge in business ethics he made on #2. There are some dogs you just don't look in the eye and challenge them, and when you hear that growl developing your only real option is avert your gaze and halt what your doing and start backing away, even then you might end up turtled till its over. What can you say about #3, exposing those fake prototypes was only spun as a good thing once when the attempt was made to parrot Chris's thank you to the community for exposing it all, other than that AA was seen as a hated foe. And last but not least, that boogie man under the bed, Sean's fault was that he was willing to give the smoke and mirrors mock-up that was asked for and compromised enough to be a scape goat when that mock-up was claimed to be the real thing and it backfired.

Edited by Pipercub
  • Like 12