IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Once again proving you are a board certified mikeologist. Almost to a word you have described EXACTLY his world view.

He blames the following for his present state of affairs:

1. A small vocal minority of haters on the internet.

2. Me.

3. The jerks on Atari Age.

4. Mr Lee.

He accepts that his name is poisoning anything it is associated with but is adamant that it is due to the above reasons and no fault of his own other than the missteps of coming into contact with those forces. He's looking to offload the company in a variety of ways as convoluted as any other business venture to date but is quite certain that his ventures will soar with just a few minor tweaks. That last bit reminds me of every busted coin-op game on craigslist that just needs a fuse. I am certain that if he found a buyer to put enough cash in his pocket to erase the debts in exchange for the mag that what SDR predicted would not be far behind.

For #1 he can't comprehend the community as a whole, except for a small minority, rejected the schemes. He also shows no understanding of the nature of the challenge in business ethics he made on #2. There are some dogs you just don't look in the eye and challenge them, and when you hear that growl developing your only real option is avert your gaze and halt what your doing and start backing away, even then you might end up turtled till its over. What can you say about #3, exposing those fake prototypes was only spun as a good thing once when the attempt was made to parrot Chris's thank you to the community for exposing it all, other than that AA was seen as a hated foe. And last but not least, that boogie man under the bed, Sean's fault was that he was willing to give the smoke and mirrors mock-up that was asked for and compromised enough to be a scape goat when that mock-up was claimed to be the real thing and it backfired.

I'm amazed he still thinks he can turn this around. Mike knows his name is poison, and he shows it by avoiding all two-way communication. This, on the other hand, prevents him from marketing himself at all or even communicating with the six people who still trust him. He's painted himself into a corner but still expects to walk away ahead.

Seriously, does this guy have some sort of behavioral disorder? This is the pattern of a narcissist or borderline patient.

• Like 2

I'm amazed he still thinks he can turn this around. Mike knows his name is poison, and he shows it by avoiding all two-way communication. This, on the other hand, prevents him from marketing himself at all or even communicating with the six people who still trust him. He's painted himself into a corner but still expects to walk away ahead.

Seriously, does this guy have some sort of behavioral disorder? This is the pattern of a narcissist or borderline patient.

In a word, yes. The SOcal of a decade ago was a very different person, well grounded with a passion for the hobby, and the entrepreneurial aspect was there but it was for the right reasons. Today, it is like the last days in the Berlin bunker, sitting in a flop house in Az rearranging non-existent assets, worthless heaps of unwanted junk, imaginary partnerships, and prospective investors into deals that will never come.

• Like 6

In a word, yes. The SOcal of a decade ago was a very different person, well grounded with a passion for the hobby, and the entrepreneurial aspect was there but it was for the right reasons. Today, it is like the last days in the Berlin bunker, sitting in a flop house in Az rearranging non-existent assets, worthless heaps of unwanted junk, imaginary partnerships, and prospective investors into deals that will never come.

I had some passing contact with old SoCal 10 and even 20 years ago, but didn't make any significant connection with him. That said, it's been clear for a year or so that original SoCal no longer exists and all we have now is "Chameleon Kennedy". I'm not trying to crack a joke here or even stir the pot... knowing that he's still trying to build something out of his pile of trash while blocking all contact from the very community he wants to monetize-- that gives me plenty of reason to be concerned for his mental health. Something is JUST NOT RIGHT with this guy.

• Like 2

If only you had broken through and taken the time to give him accordion lessons or something ... perhaps all of this could have been avoided.

Then he could have been a sex god like Weird Al, and wouldn't have had time to try to market/monetize a console shell without boards/development/prototype/business plan/common sense...

• Like 3

To anybody who knew him, what was he like before? I didn't hear about this while it happened at the time but going back and catching up on every post and video made about him is almost interesting in a way. Except when he took his friend's mini arcades and sold them. By the way, did he ever get those back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To anybody who knew him, what was he like before? I didn't hear about this while it happened at the time but going back and catching up on every post and video made about him is almost interesting in a way.

Pipercub probably knew him best and for the longest out of anyone here. From what I've seen and heard he was a pretty chill guy who was just into the hobby, he'd make videos and participated in their podcast. The downward spiral began with the RETRO magazine Kickstarter and his quest to become King Retro. Then he just kept doubling down from there. It's like that little bit of success activated a part of his brain that told him there's gold to be found if he just keeps digging, not realizing he was digging a grave until he was in too deep.

Money is such a destructive force to creativity. That's why I harp on about trying to keep things unmonetized whenever possible. Mike isn't alone, it is very hard to name a creator who started charging for their work and still kept up the quality and passion they had before doing so. It's a weird primal instinct that gets triggered, I don't think many humans can help but chase money after they make that first dollar off something they used to do for free.

Imagine you have someone who likes to walk along the beach and collect seashells. Do you think their time on the beach will ever be the same after I give them a metal detector?

• Like 8

Imagine you have someone who likes to walk along the beach and collect seashells. Do you think their time on the beach will ever be the same after I give them a metal detector?

Seashells are worthless. Imagine all the trinkets tourists lose on the beach. Rolex watches, wedding rings... That metal detector will pay for itself in short order. Try it after spring break. You may find more than just empty beer cans! :evil:

• Like 1

I do remember when he started GameGavel/ChaseTheChuckwagon, and there was a similar transformation then. It was all he could talk about. However, at the time, eBay was getting a ton of bad press over their policies and fees, so there was a decent amount of sympathy for the cause.

• Like 1

Pipercub probably knew him best and for the longest out of anyone here. From what I've seen and heard he was a pretty chill guy who was just into the hobby, he'd make videos and participated in their podcast. The downward spiral began with the RETRO magazine Kickstarter and his quest to become King Retro. Then he just kept doubling down from there. It's like that little bit of success activated a part of his brain that told him there's gold to be found if he just keeps digging, not realizing he was digging a grave until he was in too deep.

As someone who lives on the beach that made perfect sense to me. I love the beach and have my best moments and walks when I go of my own choice. I can already imagine how I or anyone else would be if given a metal detector.

If he was a cool dude then that's awful to hear how he is now.

By the way, I like your reviews, thanks for responding!

• Like 2

I do remember when he started GameGavel/ChaseTheChuckwagon, and there was a similar transformation then. It was all he could talk about. However, at the time, eBay was getting a ton of bad press over their policies and fees, so there was a decent amount of sympathy for the cause.

Yep, he has gotten a fair amount of traction pushing against industry or market trends .... or trying to reconstitute business models from thirty years ago.

1. Ebay fees are too damn high! List for free with GameGavel , but pay no attention to the fact that there's no network effect on a tiny auction house with no buyers or sellers.

2. Magazines are dying! Sad! Subscribe to RETRO, a magazine about old and new retro games. It's OK that we don't have enough content or competence to fill an issue or ship on time.

3. Don't you miss cartridges? Hate firmware updates? Let's build a nouveau retro box, that plays nonexistent cartridges, on hardware that hasn't been designed, with money we will collect prior to showing any ability to deliver.

• Like 5

When it was first starting out as CTCW he was still human. A short time later when he got delusions of grandeur in regards to taking on Ebay his presence went sour. After acquiring and changing the name from CTCW to GG his humanity was lost and he became the roboscum we all know as the current incarnation "MK". Things only got worse in the years that followed up to present day.

• Like 2

http://www.gamegavel.com/listview.cgi?search=1&time=new

You mean this site? Should I trust it? I went on the forums to see if there's any kinds of activity but the most recent post I found was from a year ago. Does Kennedy still run it?

That's the one!

GameGavel.com is part of the RETRO Media Network. Copyright 2008-2016 RETRO Media Network. All rights reserved.

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of RETRO Media Network is prohibited.

And you can surely trust it as much as you can trust any other Mike Kennedy venture.

Oh, should've figured before I asked. Is he still trying to plug retro on Patreon? And where is he now? Can't he get in trouble for something? Like the whole mini arcade tables, isn't that selling stolen property along with some kind of fraud? That was sort of the whole thing that started this interest. He screwed over his friend above all else, and Willie seems so nice in all his videos and that's the part I don't get. Sure he's a fraud and a cheat but he clearly can't be stupid. In theory you can make all the excuses you want and MAYBE have some form of trust in you, but when you wrong someone innocent and seen as kind, and even loyal which he seemed to be even after the Chameleon debacle, there's just no saving you. It's infuriating to hear and think about throwing friends under a bus and or wronging them. I just can't seem to understand why? Why keep digging when he knew there's no way out. StopDrop&Retro, you said it best when you say he's "fascinating" to study, although the fascination comes with the bashing your head against a wall trying to figure out why.

Oh, should've figured before I asked. Is he still trying to plug retro on Patreon? And where is he now? Can't he get in trouble for something? Like the whole mini arcade tables, isn't that selling stolen property along with some kind of fraud? That was sort of the whole thing that started this interest. He screwed over his friend above all else, and Willie seems so nice in all his videos and that's the part I don't get. Sure he's a fraud and a cheat but he clearly can't be stupid. In theory you can make all the excuses you want and MAYBE have some form of trust in you, but when you wrong someone innocent and seen as kind, and even loyal which he seemed to be even after the Chameleon debacle, there's just no saving you. It's infuriating to hear and think about throwing friends under a bus and or wronging them. I just can't seem to understand why? Why keep digging when he knew there's no way out. StopDrop&Retro, you said it best when you say he's "fascinating" to study, although the fascination comes with the bashing your head against a wall trying to figure out why.

There are so many people under that bus it is no longer to be referred to as an automobile but as the tallest man made mountain. :lol:

• Like 4

There are so many people under that bus it is no longer to be referred to as an automobile but as the tallest man made mountain. :lol:

I assume that's not hyperbole, good lord...

Oh, should've figured before I asked. Is he still trying to plug retro on Patreon? And where is he now? Can't he get in trouble for something? Like the whole mini arcade tables, isn't that selling stolen property along with some kind of fraud? That was sort of the whole thing that started this interest. He screwed over his friend above all else, and Willie seems so nice in all his videos and that's the part I don't get. Sure he's a fraud and a cheat but he clearly can't be stupid.

Mike Kennedy? He is a bush-league bullshitter. He's mostly harmless, even more now that he's been humbled so butt-reddeningly thoroughly. He keeps a pretty low profile lately, but in the past, he talked A LOT and had as many get-rich-quick schemes as Homer Simpson.

I have less-than-zero respect for him, yet I don't think any of his dopey "business endeavors" have crossed the line into illegality. Mike has claimed that he was the only one who lost any money or reputation in the Coleco Chameleon clusterbug. That's not totally true -- the old COLECO brand is unlikely to recover any value, and would-be developers like Piko Interactive traveled to the Toy Fair, with nothing to show for it but an amusing story. Even so, Mike hasn't crossed the line into prosecutable fraud as far as we know. He's not worth suing because he doesn't have any money.

Mike is on Patreon, collecting money for his game magazine. He changes his story about how much money he "needs" for the next issue, first it's minimum $9000, then it's half that, then it's whatever he can get and he will make up the rest. The magazine ships very sporadically. His few supporters seem to have problems receiving the stuff they paid for, but he appears to show an interest in keeping them happy.

I wouldn't give him any money, or patronize his business, or take a phone call, or post on his Facebook group, or listen to a podcast with him on it, or buy his stuff on eBay, or look at his picture, or stand in the same room as him, but other than that, he seems a nice enough fella.

• Like 4

I wouldn't give him any money, or patronize his business, or take a phone call, or post on his Facebook group, or listen to a podcast with him on it, or buy his stuff on eBay, or look at his picture, or stand in the same room as him, but other than that, he seems a nice enough fella.

LOL .... yeah other than being MK he is a nice enough fella .... LOL

• Like 2

Mike has claimed that he was the only one who lost any money or reputation in the Coleco Chameleon clusterbug. That's not totally true -- the old COLECO brand is unlikely to recover any value, and would-be developers like Piko Interactive traveled to the Toy Fair, with nothing to show for it but an amusing story.

]

Lest we forget, the "private investor" that made the Kickstarter unnecessary. :grin: