IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

New interview with Mike about the console from the toy fair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz7SgnQexJI

I am speechless, and not in a good way. Too bad they didn't zoom in to show part of the back as at least this was an HD video.

It could just due to my browsing history and and cookies, but one of the top videos coming up next is generally a John Oliver video... actually, with the crappy SD video, his piece on mental health was up next.

Just stopping quickly to address something. I don't know if people read our blog post. But there are more info/criticism I chose to keep until the KS is launched. This is as a professional courtesy - benefit of the doubt.

There were a lot of things with room for improvement on what I saw and talked over the call mentioned on the blog post.

Just so we all are in the same page; I'm not a naive/dumb person, I'm observing everything, we are trying to remain neutral as much as possible.

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 7

So they are gonna sell USB Intellivision/Colecovision controllers and bundle them in with the carts... interesting... very interesting. That's about the only interesting thing I've heard coming out of the Toy Fair.

What I'm saying is if they make that shit work with Intellivision/Colecovision emulators, I'd be so fucking in, even if they weren't the absolute best just to make keypad games more playable.

There are already ways to make existing INTV and Coleco controllers, including those packed w/the new Flashback units work on PCs.

Best part: "Heeeyyyyyyy... (looks down at guy's badge) Kevin!"

Thanks for that. I enjoy having a good laugh. :D

I'm not a body language expert, but I didn't like that hand movement he made when he talked about revealing stuff on Facebook:

youtu.be/Kz7SgnQexJI?t=1m8s

Did he just say snez:

youtu.be/Kz7SgnQexJI?t=3m9s

• Like 2

I don't know if people read our blog post. But there are more info/criticism I chose to keep until the KS is launched.

Do the possible 16-bit colecovision remakes mentioned in the blog post signal an abandonment of running the originals?

With the hardware as it is now, that would certainly make some sense...

Is there a plan to bring them to regular snes users as well, or will we have to reshell them ourselves?

I suppose too much of a response to any of that would be inappropriate at this time.

Edited by Reaperman

My bet: The playable prototype they promised will be a cobbled together "proof of concept" -nowhere near production ready. There will be an empty shells in assorted colors. Specs will be vague and minimal, but will boil down to "flashback + cartridges." Any concrete information will be dissected and criticized here. Pack in will be Coleco classics multicart, volume 1, with 10-15 games. Volume 2 "coming soon!" Kickstarter will fall short, and blame will go to the "haters and trolls"

I don't think this has been posted...

"Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. At the moment the console will not play original ColecoVision carts. There is however going to be ColecoVision compilation carts specifically for the console...
---
So Mike is going to milk his Colecovision titles right down to the last dollar and seemingly not even release them all on one cart when you can just buy a Colecovision Flashback with all of them on it for $30. Imagine if the pack-in game is a fuckin' small compilation of Colecovision games...

Alright, this is going to be my last post in this thread until the kickstarter...

I really thought I could last longer than ONE day... :woozy:

Just stopping quickly to address something. I don't know if people read our blog post. But there are more info/criticism I chose to keep until the KS is launched. This is as a professional courtesy - benefit of the doubt.

There were a lot of things with room for improvement on what I saw and talked over the call mentioned on the blog post.

Just so we all are in the same page; I'm not a naive/dumb person, I'm observing everything, we are trying to remain neutral as much as possible.

I'm glad you decided to reply to this thread. I'm genuinely sorry that you and your company are tangled in this shit storm. I hope that things get better but I strongly doubt it. Especially since you have to have seen what we have even if you can't comment due to NDA. Have you tried getting published on steam? Edited by Chorne27983
  • Like 1

I too feel sorry for you about being tangled in this mess, but i hope you will soldier on if/when all this crumbles to dust. You have more legs to stand on in the old established systems.

I also hear you when you say that this system would be so cool if the info and promises are true, and i understand that. My problem is that there has been nothing so far to prove it but a load of yapping from the RVGS team and a whole heap of - in my eyes - extremely critical deficiencies and shortfalls to say the least. Like someone said, they have had years to come up with a prototype and this is the result?

I appreciate you posting here and i look forward to your thoughts on the matter come KS-day.

• Like 2

If they are able to make sequels/remakes of Coleco intellectual properties, I do hope they go the sequel or at the very least sequel/remake combo route because if they don't and just remake old games without adding significant new additions, no one is gonna care. It'll be like how I saw a video of a guy make an amazing 2600 Pac-man game and while it's a technical marvel, no one really gives a shit because it's irrelevant. We have MAME and compilations of the real thing or the NES version which is still better. It's not the way to go to reach a new audience or even rekindle an old one. I'd rather see a Colecovision original on a cart combined with a new sequel. Appealing to the hundreds of Colecovision homebrew fans out there isn't gonna make the Chameleon money. In fact, a lot of those who care about Colecovision games probably don't give a shit about the 16-bit gen graphics.

For the love of god, just make original games for this fucking thing so it's no more derivative and piggy backing than it already is. The goal for this was to feature new, retro style games, right? All we're seeing so far is stuff from other consoles or the potential of remakes of stuff. It's simply SHIT WE ALREADY HAVE. I'm not knocking remakes, but let's be real here, no one is really sitting around clamoring about a Colecovision game remake.

• Like 1

Did he just say snez:

youtu.be/Kz7SgnQexJI?t=3m9s

He said, while jiggling the analog sticks on their cheap 3rd party Wii controller:

"seems like people always want to start working these to try to play the game so we just thought it would be easiest if we just hot-wired in some snez, kind of, err, 3rd party controllers"

The SNES bit fits with his previous lies- at least he is still managing to keep his story straight there. He did change the reason for using SNES controllers though. Before he stated that they didn't have support for the analogue sticks yes, and here he said it would be too confusing for people- because apparently no-one has played a retro game on a Wii, PS, or Xbox that used the D-pad and not the sticks.

I find all the vagueness in that statement very telling, like when he said there are "5 or 6 games" on his multicart before. This is common when people are lying- they think that being a bit less specific will make the lie more believable. If I had just burned a multicart ROM, I would know how many games were on there. Maybe if I had just copied a bunch to an SD card I might be more vague about it.

The pressure looks like it is getting to him. It's horrible to watch someone publicly continue to perpetuate a lie that knows he has already been called on.

So they are gonna sell USB Intellivision/Colecovision controllers and bundle them in with the carts... interesting... very interesting. That's about the only interesting thing I've heard coming out of the Toy Fair.

Mike is freestyling again, like he did with the Retro VGS. He's in the zone, just announcing their plans as things occur to him, without worrying about details like manufacturing, costs, techology, distribution- he can just say things as he think of them and people say "wow they are doing X!".

Edited by galax
  • Like 6

The SNES bit fits with his previous lies- at least he is still managing to keep his story straight there. He did change the reason for using SNES controllers though. Before he stated that they didn't have support for the analogue sticks yes, and here he said it would be too confusing for people- because apparently no-one has played a retro game on a Wii, PS, or Xbox that used the D-pad and not the sticks.

The other thing is, it makes no sense to hardwire a controller on a prototype, especially when all you talk about is USB joysticks. Surely their proto uses USB connectors? And let's assume this was a 3rd party SNES style USB controller, they are cheap and plentiful, why would it be hardwired? This just makes no sense.

• Like 9

The other thing is, it makes no sense to hardwire a controller on a prototype, especially when all you talk about is USB joysticks. Surely their proto uses USB connectors? And let's assume this was a 3rd party SNES style USB controller, they are cheap and plentiful, why would it be hardwired? This just makes no sense.

It's all the hardware guy's fault ;)

• Like 1

Not nuch to add to what others already said; but what baffles me is that with so many people on the "team" being sales/creative people then why do they need to go on KS at all? Can't these guys with years of experience in the industry at least cobble together enough funding?

I guess it's the new "gig economy"; just beg online to get money and then find some guy who hopefully isn't too bad to do it for you under a six month contract. No thanks.

They said it's ARM & FPGA. So that's what it'll be. And I believe the toy fair booth was simply to advertise and prep for the kickstarter.

Once they get funded then the real work will begin.

So true, but then they are back to where they were last time in November with the RVGS, are they not?

[and without a believable proto to show for it yet]

Let's compare:

ARM: check

FPGA: check

multi compat: check

cart adaptors [later]: check

multi controllers [later]: check

yada yada yada: check

bibbidi-bobbidi-boo: check

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious: check

obladi oblada: check

kumbayah: check

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 6

On the question about the 16 bit remakes. I don't know, don't think so. This was a talk between me and one of the Coleco Brand owners; He thought if that would have been cool, and I told him it would be simple and could be easily done. And I think I can convince him if the community wants something like that. And yes, new features would be a must, 16 bit conversion only would be sort of pointless.

• Like 5

PikoInteractive, on 15 Feb 2016 - 8:35 PM, said:

On the question about the 16 bit remakes. I don't know, don't think so. This was a talk between me and one of the Coleco Brand owners; He thought if that would have been cool, and I told him it would be simple and could be easily done. And I think I can convince him if the community wants something like that. And yes, new features would be a must, 16 bit conversion only would be sort of pointless.

Count me down for wanting to see some remakes. I always thought Digitial Eclipse did great job with the Konami enhancements that they did several years ago, although I understand you'd be looking to do more.

I also can't wait for the KS to launch so you can come clean on what you know and don't know. You may be of more enlightment and information then Mike and company. :lol:

• Like 1

If you can dual release them as SNES cart, I'm in. ;-)

• Like 1

New interview with Mike about the console from the toy fair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz7SgnQexJI

OK, let's look at the facts:

1. They have a polished working prototype
  2. They have a booth at the biggest toy show in the world
  3. They have a team of seasoned industry luminaries
  4. Mike has been a part of multiple successful gaming properties: GameGavel, Retrogamingroundup, RETRO, Chickenshift

I see this video and see a fantastic beat-em-up game on a cool new system being played by a video game enthusiast. I can't wait to see everyone freaking out when this is a multi-million dollar Kickstarter success.

OK, let's look at the facts:

• They have a polished working prototype
  • They have a booth at the biggest toy show in the world
  • They have a team of seasoned industry luminaries
  • Mike has been a part of multiple successful gaming properties: GameGavel, Retrogamingroundup, RETRO, Chickenshift
I see this video and see a fantastic beat-em-up game on a cool new system being played by a video game enthusiast. I can't wait to see everyone freaking out when this is a multi-million dollar Kickstarter success.
You have to be trolling
  • Like 7