IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Prove us wrong Friday!

Come in with SNES, Mega Drive, MSX and Sharp X68000 cores ready to port rare japanese games with fan translations and pay those fan efforts some consideration and credit.

Do THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not talking about Mike but all the other people that may want to curb the tones and don't feel like chiming in for fear of being chastised.

At times it does look like we're out for blood .... for sure we're outraged but we're a little bit circling around, and we feel like we are owed an explanation (I know I do) .... and maybe we do .... dunno, the wait is nerve-wrecking.

You didn't buy the Retro Freak yet?

Hahaha!

I've got plenty of real PC Engine hardware variants for when I need to see something on "original hardware", and have Mednafen for programming on.

No need to pay even more for an expensive emulator-in-a-box! ;-)

Holy cow. That game slam thing has got to be the biggest ripoff I've ever seen! :o

Agreed -- nobody asked for that middleman service and it's an apt comparison to RVGS and Cham Cham.

Reminds me of a localized, less thought-out Goozex. Remember that? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goozex

"In November 2007, Goozex was ranked as the best website for trading games online by video game magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly and GamesRadar.com. It has since received a ranking of F from the Better Business Bureau."

I guess it serves as a cautionary tale ...like OUYA discussed above, even when things go right, nothing lasts forever and most things wither and fail. Cartridge gaming.

• Like 1

At this point I'm baffled that Mike even wants to deal with tangible goods. He's all talk and promises but when it comes down to actually making -- hell, just showing -- hardware that does something it's a huge stumbling block he never seems to get past. This cycle keeps repeating in different iterations but the common denominator is the hardware that never makes it or is just not ready for prime time.

Why not cut that middle bit out and do what GameSlam does and sell an intangible service?

With all the rah-rahing and message deleting happening on their Facebook page -- it's like a giant hermetically sealed room and everyone is just sniffing their own farts. All Mike needs to do is ask his most ardent supporters to reinforce their zealotry by paying him for 'exclusive info and perks', walk away a millionare and never have to get his hands grubby with electrical tape again. I mean, these guys were already willing to white knight his cause for free...

• Like 2

Maybe this has already been brought up, but I also wonder if they've adequately factored in the cost of the extra Intellivision and ColecoVision controllers they're promising. Mike has said all along that the reason they have to use the Jaguar shells, and the reason those shells have made the whole project possible, is because the tooling for plastic injection molds is so expensive.

I think it's odd that even more resources are being allocated to the copying the gear from other systems, instead of being used to give the system more of its own identity. It's a system that's provided people with zero evidence of significant progress, but rather than solve that, it's more interested in promising boxes of extra crap to store. At this rate it will have more controllers than games.

I think it should have a glove controller.

Probably packed in as the 'main' controller, and it should be called the 'game-wanker.'

Then there should be a t-shirt at the $19 pledge point featuring the device.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

With all the rah-rahing and message deleting happening on their Facebook page -- it's like a giant hermetically sealed room and everyone is just sniffing their own farts. All Mike needs to do is ask his most ardent supporters to reinforce their zealotry by paying him for 'exclusive info and perks', walk away a millionare and never have to get his hands grubby with electrical tape again. I mean, these guys were already willing to white knight his cause for free...

A lot of us here expected him to do much - or most? - of the hype-building and announcements for this device through you know, his own magazine(!). It seems to fit the closed-in hermit style he wants where no-one can ask awkward questions or criticise his project and would be very Retro™ as an added bonus like in the old days of yore when all the nerds flocked to their mailboxes and stores once a month or so to get the latest magazine, but as he seems to have problems pushing out the amount of issues of his magazine as he promised i guess he just couldn't bother and went online instead, but with the same mindset of close-and-control communications.

Having a paid subscription for those announcements would fit in perfectly with his whole attitude. Why stop at crowdfunded console? Crowdfund the announcements too!

"Wanna know the next reward tier? 10$ to this paypal account please, do not forget to type in your email address in the field below!"

• Like 1

On the sad side we lost comments from triverse for conflict of interest, PikoInteractive [hopefully it is just a pause until the KS], we likely scared thenavguy off [we should be respecting his friendship], Pipercub is getting super hermetic and UKMike also is not writing much.

The last 3 are all people that know Mike and may be able to offer some insight on how's the mood on the CC team .... and we do need some kind of gossip/rumors/news to keep us sane.

Hopefully if someone feels like saying something positive he/she should feel like she should be allowed to do so in this very thread as opposed to feeling intimidated, threatened or worse.

The conflict of interest that has taken me away for a bit is one I created, or will be creating myself. I have not been bought off by Mike and one of his "companies". I am still working on articles that follow the development of the Chameleon and games for it. Nothing has changed there. There just isn't a lot to discuss right now so I am stepping aside for a project I am working on that is still squarely within the realm of Coleco product.

Here is the idea. Mark and his team are obviously pushing forward with their bringing back the Coleco brand- whether the Chameleon is a success or not- there will continue to be some form of Coleco presence in the world. That company had a storied history and the new owners, based on my talk with Mark last year in my interview, are passionate about doing it right.

The project I am talking about starting is a quarterly magazine dedicated to the Coleco brand itself. 20 pages, or more if content warrants it, four times a year, available in digital PDF and physical print. Content would range from historical articles (such as company milestones, interviews with former staff, etc), reviews of product they launched, are launching etc and of course games and yes, the Chameleon would be covered as well. There are a ton of games being made, or have been made in the last decade and they have been missed by tons of potential fans of the ColecoVision console. I want to change that.

I don't plan on this being an official magazine. Rather it is planned from the getgo as "unofficial" so it can remain unbiased much like RGM is.

I bring this up because I want community involvement. Without the community there is no Coleco, there is nothing without the fans. I also want to be upfront and honest with everyone, this would not be a parody and it would not be cheap to produce but I think now is the time to launch something like this if someone is going to do it. With the support of the community, I would like to give it a shot.

That is what has taken me away from these forums on a regular basis, at least till the crowdfunding option launches (it is not cheap launching a magazine- I know from experience as I have personally funded two of them so far).

Thoughts, anyone?

• Like 4

I think it should have a glove controller.

Probably packed in as the 'main' controller, and it should be called the 'game-wanker.'

Then there should be a t-shirt at the $19 pledge point featuring the device.

It's all been done before...

2743507-nes-power-glove.jpg

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Purple+Ganon

• Like 2

Thoughts, anyone?

Well, i have no issues at all with the Coleco brand in and of itself. It got the CV Flashback and i enjoy it, i never really got to experience their toy range except some of the GI Joe stuff they made. I think it might be interesting to see what they can make in the future and if they will go for "retro" style toys based on the original Coleco stuff or new original stuff.

What i can't stand is the whole RVGS debacle. It drags the Coleco name in the mud in my opinion, despite me not having experienced much of Coleco in my life, this product is what i think of now whenever i hear the "Coleco" brand, and that is not good.

I know they are separate entities and RVGS just pay dollars in some form or the other to use the name while the other is the brand itself. The mainstream press doesn't seem to know this though, or are way too lazy to care and that can be damaging in the long run.

I'm no businessman or PR-guy, but if i were i'd advise Coleco to turn clear of RVGS at the earliest possible opportunity.

• Like 1

Looks like I got banned from the FB page. Looks like I'm in the club!

Edit: it's really telling how Mike never puts himself into any conversation where he can't control the narrative. He doesn't do interviews unless they're by friends or paid shills. Theres no way I'd ever give money to someone who's that afraid of setting the record straight.

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 6

We have to do whatever we can to stop this. We have to get the truth out there. That shyster will take advantage of people. Even if he comes up short of his goal the Chameleon project will be bad juju for the retro scene. Nostalgia is a powerful thing... his words might sway the casual and leave a bad taste in their mouth after it fails.

• Like 3

The conflict of interest that has taken me away for a bit is one I created, or will be creating myself. I have not been bought off by Mike and one of his "companies". I am still working on articles that follow the development of the Chameleon and games for it. Nothing has changed there. There just isn't a lot to discuss right now so I am stepping aside for a project I am working on that is still squarely within the realm of Coleco product.

Here is the idea. Mark and his team are obviously pushing forward with their bringing back the Coleco brand- whether the Chameleon is a success or not- there will continue to be some form of Coleco presence in the world. That company had a storied history and the new owners, based on my talk with Mark last year in my interview, are passionate about doing it right.

The project I am talking about starting is a quarterly magazine dedicated to the Coleco brand itself. 20 pages, or more if content warrants it, four times a year, available in digital PDF and physical print. Content would range from historical articles (such as company milestones, interviews with former staff, etc), reviews of product they launched, are launching etc and of course games and yes, the Chameleon would be covered as well. There are a ton of games being made, or have been made in the last decade and they have been missed by tons of potential fans of the ColecoVision console. I want to change that.

I don't plan on this being an official magazine. Rather it is planned from the getgo as "unofficial" so it can remain unbiased much like RGM is.

I bring this up because I want community involvement. Without the community there is no Coleco, there is nothing without the fans. I also want to be upfront and honest with everyone, this would not be a parody and it would not be cheap to produce but I think now is the time to launch something like this if someone is going to do it. With the support of the community, I would like to give it a shot.

That is what has taken me away from these forums on a regular basis, at least till the crowdfunding option launches (it is not cheap launching a magazine- I know from experience as I have personally funded two of them so far).

Thoughts, anyone?

I dunno. I don't get the impression that what these guys are doing with the COLECO brand is worth much coverage, let alone regular, quarterly coverage. Historical COLECO coverage, sure, why not.

• Like 2

Here is the idea. Mark and his team are obviously pushing forward with their bringing back the Coleco brand ...

Thoughts, anyone?

First up, let me say I enjoy your writing and admire your energy....but first thought upon reading this was, "Et tu, Brute?"

if it were me, I would not want anything to do with the Coleco brand since this they opened this Cham Cham monkey house. I'd consider covering the company, but in my own way and without closing the door to anything else. I understand that Coleco's rights holders are eager to get the name out, but they've shown terrible judgment thus far. I wouldn't want their stink on me until this blows over and is forgotten.

I've Kickstarter backed a history of Coleco book, but that was before. Timing matters.

Hey, you asked. :-)

What's with the fascination with print and mock-print PDF "issues?" Why not just do it as a high quality blog with a Patreon on the side? I like good writing, but to me in 2016, fancy paste-up layouts just seem like people trying to show off their skills learned in school.

• Like 8

First up, let me say I enjoy your writing and admire your energy....but first thought upon reading this was, "Et tu, Brute?"

if it were me, I would not want anything to do with the Coleco brand since this they opened this Cham Cham monkey house. I'd consider covering the company, but in my own way and without closing the door to anything else. I understand that Coleco's rights holders are eager to get the name out, but they've shown terrible judgment thus far. I wouldn't want their stink on me until this blows over and is forgotten.

I've Kickstarter backed a history of Coleco book, but that was before. Timing matters.

Hey, you asked. :-)

What's with the fascination with print and mock-print PDF "issues?" Why not just do it as a high quality blog with a Patreon on the side? I like good writing, but to me in 2016, fancy paste-up layouts just seem like people trying to show off their skills learned in school.

Good points. There are a lot of people that want print/PDFs. They are costly though as good designers are not cheap (I learned my lesson on doing layout work myself).

There would still be a site available for the mag for months in between. I am more interested in the gaming/history stuff myself but obviously a mag/site focused on Coleco would need to cover modern developments too.

I agree, timing is everything.

• Like 1

I think it's odd that even more resources are being allocated to the copying the gear from other systems, instead of being used to give the system more of its own identity. It's a system that's provided people with zero evidence of significant progress, but rather than solve that, it's more interested in promising boxes of extra crap to store. At this rate it will have more controllers than games.

You may recall that he mentioned they'll have them sold separately on their store and it'll be PC-compatible. It seems he's wanting us to fund a line of a video game console and accessories for him. Then he also gets to double-dip, by--as mentioned by someone else--factoring in a little sumfin-sumfin for RETRO magazine advertising.

• Like 1

We have to do whatever we can to stop this. We have to get the truth out there. That shyster will take advantage of people. Even if he comes up short of his goal the Chameleon project will be bad juju for the retro scene. Nostalgia is a powerful thing... his words might sway the casual and leave a bad taste in their mouth after it fails.

whoops. that did not work
Edited by cybercylon