IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

On another note I am sad I can't snag some of the empty shells. I am a prop maker and those would make for some awesome sci-fi props. I guess I could try to find some broken Jaguars and buy them, but they go for so much even broken.

Edited by MagnaRyuu

hey you know what, if Mike does try to resurface with the same "console" but with a different name I have a few ideas for him. Cause as you all know we he is reading this thread.

Going by his love of trying to fool people here is what I have come up with. :D

The Illusion

The Deception

The Grifter

and finally The Screw Job

You forgot dead company/system names.

The Intellivision Illusion

The Spectrum Deception

The Neo Geo Grifter

The Sega Screw Job

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 1

At this point I think Mike would be better off selling the Coleco Chameleon like one of those DIY kits (Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc.). One kit would include a translucent or black Jaguar case, mechanical tape, your choice of an SNES Mini or DVR card, an SNES controller or off-brand Wii U controller, and an optional LED. I think people would buy it for the sheer novelty.

• Like 6

You forgot dead company/system names.

The Intellivision Illusion

The Spectrum Deception

The Neo Geo Grifter

The Sega Screw Job

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That makes the name ideas so much better. :D

Actually Spectrum isn't actually dead. I saw on one of Pat's Podcast videos that Sir Sinclair and 3 other partners have a solid handheld version of the system on Kickstarter. which amazingly enough they are only asking for 100,000 British Pounds for the campaign. And the thing is going to come with 1000 licensed Sinclair ZX Spectrum games. And they aren't hiding that it's a hand held emulation system. Also they had their own tooling done for the casing. And it will have a micro sd slot so you can load more Spectrum Games on to it.

Edited by MagnaRyuu
  • Like 2

On another note I am sad I can't snag some of the empty shells. I am a prop maker and those would make for some awesome sci-fi props. I guess I could try to find some broken Jaguars and buy them, but they go for so much even broken.

You can get white or metallic ones for $25: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-new-White-Plastic-Console-Replacement-Covers-/110804896487

I have a couple of Mike-made transparent shells but now that they are such a piece of history I'm holding on to them.

At this point I think Mike would be better off selling the Coleco Chameleon like one of those DIY kits (Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc.). One kit would include a translucent or black Jaguar case, mechanical tape, your choice of an SNES Mini or DVR card, an SNES controller or off-brand Wii U controller, and an optional LED. I think people would buy it for the sheer novelty.

His best bet would be to take his network cable and or wifi and unplug it / turn it off and walk away with what shred of dignity he has left.

• Like 2

soon a very ugly woman named Mikaela Kennedy (aka Mike wearing a wig) will appear in the retro vgs page telling us how Mike Kennedy, her twin brother died recently and she wants to make his dream of a retro console a reality "keep the faith guys, for my baby brother Mike!

• Like 10

You can get white ones for $25: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-new-White-Plastic-Console-Replacement-Covers-/110804896487

I have a couple of Mike-made transparent shells but now that they are such a piece of history I'm holding on to them.

I saw that, but wasn't sure if that was maybe an account of Mike's or somethings. Cause if not where is this person getting these brand new shells?

His best bet would be to take his network cable and or wifi and unplug it / turn it off and walk away with what shred of dignity he has left.

Seriously, he should change his name and disappear. I don't see him escaping this. I wouldn't even trust him to make my food at a fast food joint.

• Like 3

I saw that, but wasn't sure if that was maybe an account of Mike's or somethings. Cause if not where is this person getting these brand new shells?

Those white shells were made before Mike acquired the molds, so the seller is probably just liquidating his existing stock. I bought one about two years ago.

• Like 2

It's the guy who sold the molds to Mike, he has a bunch of stock left that he is selling off. These were made for his dental camera company, probably cheaper to make a whole load at once. He seemed like a nice guy in the video of Mike picking up the molds, and has a 100% eBay feedback rating.

• Like 1

Those white shells were made before Mike acquired the molds, so the seller is probably just liquidating his existing stock. I bought one about two years ago.

Damn, wish I wasn't broke. Oh well, I'll just go with my idea of using cheap Gameboy Advanced. and Gameboy Advanced SP shells for prop ideas when i get the money. Gotta love cheap Chinese wholesale :D

Edited by MagnaRyuu

I'm just amazed that Mike thought he could get away with this, and that the picture wouldn't get immediately exposed as a fake by these forums. Personally, I can't wait for StopDrop&Retro's next video (and the possible feature-length documentuary). Next to Pat and Ian, he's probably been the best at covering this farce of an idea.

• Like 2

At this point I am curious about what Piko and CollectorVision were promised the system would do, what were they shown etc...

I mean they stood in the middle of the shitstorm and are still taking crap for no real reason.

What was Mike taunting them with? Meaning what kind of system was he blabbing about? What kind of sales figure was he pulling out of his very capacious ass?

Honestly just curiosity. Not pointing fingers but whatever it was must have seemed extremely interesting from either technical or economical point of view.

• Like 2

Something interesting I pieced together...and who knows could possibly be still within their "plans" for this system.

If they were so hellbent on using SNES hardware, maybe if everything had gone smoothly and nobody was onto them they were planning to use "bootleg" SNES jr/minis/model 2's and just strip them out and put them in the jaguar shell at some point. Since they are bootlegs they could snag the systems dirt cheap and at $130 or $150 each for the kickstarter be potentially making $100+ on each system stripping them down like that.

Website below, and fake system is on the right in each picture. If someone had board pics of the snes innards in that one "prototype" system quite easily could see if this was their idea.

Couple posts online surfaced over the years of people obtaining these counterfeit JR machines. Who knows if a warehouse somewhere is sitting on a cache of these..buy em out for next to nothing then repackage them and profit on them.

http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=counterfeit_snes

SNES2PCBS.jpg

Or quite simply it was a one time deal and they just used a SNES for that one time to prove they had something working.....who knows just an idea.

Edited by RiverCityRansom2
  • Like 1

What happened to your website? Coleco put a hit out on it?

Not sure what is going on. Hostgator pulled it for exceeding server load (about 65,000 people in a very short period of time and a few gigs of transfer). That was fixed after they pulled us for about an hour. The in a 30 minute period the site was up four different times and pulled again due to massive traffic hammering it, again exceeding server load. I am waiting for them to upgrade it to a better server ($78 a month is the next step).

• Like 3

Not sure what is going on. Hostgator pulled it for exceeding server load (about 65,000 people in a very short period of time and a few gigs of transfer). That was fixed after they pulled us for about an hour. The in a 30 minute period the site was up four different times and pulled again due to massive traffic hammering it, again exceeding server load. I am waiting for them to upgrade it to a better server ($78 a month is the next step).

You should hire Li to install a capture card in the server to capture some of the traffic. He is very good with hardware.

• Like 11