IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

These last few (dozen?) pages are exactly why I don't watch 99.9% of YouTube "channels" out there regarding video games. How many more videos are people going to make that basically just say what we've already uncovered in this thread? What's the point, other than to get "likes" or subscribers or whatever social media needs feed their egos. Whether it's rehashing readily known information, or just flat out mis-information, most YouTube retro videos are largely worthless. And that's not even getting into the people who sign up on forums to do nothing but post links to their videos and not contribute in any other way. Anyway, unless someone comes out with new information, I think this horse has been beaten lifeless a few dozen pages ago and we don't need additional drama of YouTubers calling out other YouTubers and other such immature nonsense.

While I do believe some do the videos for likes, subs, or financial gain, I still feel that the more people that speak out on this controversy, the better, even if they are only regurgitating the same thing everyone else has already said. It lets MK know his potential audience is shrinking rapidly, and it also serves as a warning to any YT watchers that had a mild interest in it.

• Like 4

Yeah, I don't get where this Pat calling out gamester comes from. I'm pretty sure that "f-off" was more directed at that guy in the snow cap who's video was posted some pages back.

RetroGametube85? Yeah, that is what I hypothesized too since RGT85 fired a shot at Pat earlier this week even before the DVR card prototype. I still think Pat was firing at him mostly since he directly popped off at Pat, but I could see where Gamester81 thought it was him being referenced. Either way, seems like we may have a rift in our community on hand due to one Mike Kennedy.

• Like 4

I am not sure what to think at this point. I would totally love to see the Coleco Chameleon released and available to us. But I think the real issue right now is that they are rushing into the kickstarter, etc. Give them more time, that's what they need.

I am not sure what to think at this point. I would totally love to see the Coleco Chameleon released and available to us. But I think the real issue right now is that they are rushing into the kickstarter, etc. Give them more time, that's what they need.

Sure, why not? Except they said they need no KS, so no rush!!!!

And what they need is a good old big dose of reality. I believe we're almost there but not quite.

Also, I would totally love to see anything that they actually built (no, the shells don't count as Atari built them).

• Like 5

Oh my god I finally caught up again from last night. Every time I would click next I would see there was at least one more page added.

I never realized there were so many people on Youtube that can just stare at a camera and talk for a half hour about very little. Guess I'm still old-school in my internet content retrieval preferences too.

• Like 12

you my friend, need to do your homework.

• Like 4

Thanks for the summary. I'm glad I didn't wade into 70 minutes of nonsense to learn that.

Yeah rather than hear the details in depth, direct from the man involved, better to listen to 15 minutes of somebody with a webcam say what they think.

• Like 8

I do get that, I know that moderating a megathread takes time and leads to aggravation. But there are plenty of other instances of [paraphrasing] "you guys are wasting your time here." But whether the sarcasm is intentional or not, it does mirror how a lot of people in the gaming public see COLEgate.

Some of us here are clamoring for major media to retract their COLECO fluff stories and tell the public what's happening here. They're not ignoring this topic because there's some media payola conspiracy, it's just simply that this subject isn't interesting to people who haven't followed this thread. Again- it's a tall task to make this topic interesting to people who aren't absorbed in Retro Land politics and that's why it would be difficult to make a documentary that's more than AtariAge fan service.

This isn't about the stupid CC anymore, it's dead, waste of time. You guys are now creating rifts in the community. Albert warned about it and I imagine it will not take much more time until this thread is locked. There are now half a dozen pages about Pat and that Gamester81 dude.

There is one bad apple, Mike. Leave all these other youtube dudes out of this. What is the point?

• Like 18

I never realized there were so many people on Youtube that can just stare at a camera and talk for a half hour about very little. Guess I'm still old-school in my internet content retrieval preferences too.

I'm the same way. I can't stand videos as a means of information delivery, even if they're well-produced. Videos are slow, you can't easily skip around, the information density is low, and the demands on one's concentration are high. There are exceptions, of course: I like SD&R's documentary format, and the chemistry between Pat and Ian on the #CUPodcast is an important part of what they do. But most of the "talking head" YouTube videos would actually be more effective if the people making them just skipped the video altogether. If you really want to tell me something, I'm much more likely to assimilate it and remember it if you give it to me in text.

• Like 9

In B4 Lock

There isn't much point in this thread the way it's going.

Chameleon did look promising at first but Mike didn't plan things well, didn't come out and say "This is over my head, I need help". Instead he tried to fake his way through which hurts his reputation and drove most of us away from him.

This isn't about the stupid CC anymore, it's dead, waste of time. You guys are now creating rifts in the community. Albert warned about it and I imagine it will not take much more time until this thread is locked. There are now half a dozen pages about Pat and that Gamester81 dude.

There is one bad apple, Mike. Leave all these other youtube dudes out of this. What is the point?

I don't think their is any rifts, it is just some "persona's" on YouTube having fun and some people here that believe the "persona's" they show on YouTube are Real reaction's.

• Like 1

Yeah rather than hear the details in depth, direct from the man involved, better to listen to 15 minutes of somebody with a webcam say what they think.

yeah, i was thinking at first 2 hours was too long, but now im an hour in an glued to my computer. :)

• Like 3

retro podcast

"i'm not an engineer so i didn't know it would be more difficult to get av out on a fpga system than just hdmi out"

"it depends totally on the fpga"

uh, no. the limiting factors are the fpga pinout (as to whether you have any free IO pins), and the cost of the DACs (or driver ICs). the addon board kevtris was proposing for his prototype had HDMI, DVI, s-video, component and composite. HDMI and DVI need one DAC each, and component and composite need 3 each (not sure about s-video, it might only need one). they cost a few bucks a pop, plus the connectors and the cost of fabbing the board. kevtris even said himself that making that "everything in one" video board would be expensive for these reasons. that little video board probably costs $50-75 on parts alone.

Edited by some_canuck
  • Like 2

There isn't much point in this thread the way it's going.

This thread performed an enormously important service, and I'd hate to see it locked. For whatever it's worth, I think there's enough life left in the RVGS/Chameleon story that we still need some central point of discussion about it: the implications for our little hobby are too important for us to ignore it completely, and the AtariAge community is uniquely situated to play an influential role in it. Once we know the results of the Coleco investigation, maybe a fresh "post-mortem" thread (if that isn't too optimistic!) would be a good idea, but of course that's up to the mods.

• Like 10

This isn't about the stupid CC anymore, it's dead, waste of time.

I think is not dead, more like a hiatus (only god knows what Mike will do at this point), but until we heard what Coleco engineers have to say, not much more to add in the subject, yeah...