IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

There has to be a technical term for this type of defense, I just don't know what it is. Where you downplay one wrong by referencing a greater one? I wonder what Isis uses when they're caught. "well, ya know right now there's a supernova going off somewhere in the universe vaporizing planets and lifeforms. The resultant gamma ray burst is killing things for light years around. So, is our slaughter of infidels really that bad?"

That is just way too much science and I think speculating about life on other planets would make them infidels too. An ISIS member would more likely come up with something that only sounds worse to them like,"I may have killed hundreds of people but there are billions of women driving cars. Why don't you go address that issue before judging me? You are over-reacting. It isn't like I touched a piece of bacon. I just killed people."

• Like 3

2. Not sure how the cartridges would have been manufactured, but if it was anything more than a flash drive inside, they probably would have been cost prohibitive to produce, especially in the small runs that they probably would have had. I know there have been some cartridge home brew type games put out by AA and AA members. Anyone have any hard numbers on how much boards cost for things? Like new boards? Not just taking an old Combat cart and reprogramming it or something.

Lots of NES homebrews are using new shells and boards now. Once the molds are paid off, the new shells don't cost much over the price of a shit used game. New PCBs are cheap and they have some cool new flash mappers for homebrews. The garage repro guys, you're paying for labor of removing the labels, desoldering/rewiring chips, erasing/burning scavenged EPROMs, etc...

Carts from new parts is only a couple bucks more than recycled games, and far less labor intensive. I wish there was interest in Atari games so Albert could get universal molds made for 2600/7800 game carts. He showed a 3D printed prototype cart with embossed AA emblem on it a couple years ago. What happened?

• Like 2

Heh, looked up on Google to see if I could see a pic of the inside of the dental machine jag shells and saw the following Youtube video. (He opens it up at around 2 minutes in so you can see the screw posts and such.) Anyway, read the top comment. Don't believe I know who Larry Bundy Jr is, never watched his videos, but a quick look at his page doesn't reveal any Chameleon related videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qCtiRu-G_M

I saw another comment from him on that video from Larry Bundy where he named the friend in possession of the Jag molds as Gamester81. It just struck me as interesting...
  • Like 3

When you view both these prior posted interviews together you can get a decent idea on how it was supposedly to be designed by John Carlsrn

John Carlsen

http://retrogamingroundup.com/blog/?p=1233

Kevtris

http://nintendolegend.com/2015/09/interview-kevin-kevtris-horton-on-the-retro-vgs/

John Carlsen apparently wanted to make a system on a chip without FGPA, probably having the entire system being in the controller or a very small case. He planed this approach at the start which also created friction with Kevtris, since he planned to dump FGPA later on in the system development

Would probably look like a IQue and probably use carts the size of a DS and probably some rom dumper to add existing cartage based system support

Steve Woita and Mike Kennedy wanted a system basically using Atari Jaguar Case and Cart Case, Carts that could last 50-100 years, Run Neo Geo Games/SNES/Genesis on a Powerful FGPA based system, and use existing other system carts

1024px-IQue-Player.png

Edited by enoofu
  • Like 4

That is just way too much science and I think speculating about life on other planets would make them infidels too. An ISIS member would more likely come up with something that only sounds worse to them like,"I may have killed hundreds of people but there are billions of women driving cars. Why don't you go address that issue before judging me? You are over-reacting. It isn't like I touched a piece of bacon. I just killed people."

Not sure if you're trying to make a joke but it isn't working. The ISIS analogy in the Gamster video was poor taste, but he prooves a point. Games are really insignificant to the bigger issues in the world.

• Like 1

Not sure if you're trying to make a joke but it isn't working. The ISIS analogy in the Gamster video was poor taste, but he prooves a point. Games are really insignificant to the bigger issues in the world.

I wasn't making a point about Gamester. I have no issue with him. And yes, I was joking about and mocking terrorists.

I was reading the stories of older FPGA projects such as the C-One and I came across this very relevant snippet:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/10/ellsworth_tweet_prompts_bread_bin_cancellation/

As other, less disparaging commenters have noted, Biehl asked for $150,000 without any real idea as to how much hiring hardware developers and moulding experts to create protoypes would cost, something he tacitly admitted on the project’s web page. Perhaps, they say, he should have checked all this out before asking for contributors’ cash.

But it’s not at all uncommon for enthusiasm to shoulder past calm reason. Where someone is calling for funding for their dream device, others are responding to the call - rushing to be an emptor and forgetting the caveat - while other folk just hurl invective on forums.

• Like 2

With the news that MAME is now fully OSI compliant / FSF approved, you get the feeling that we need more crowd-building instead of crowd-funding ;-)

I have no problem backing a commercial product, but open source (which now also exists for hardware) sure seems like a way to keep playing your games in 50 years.

Nobody will get rich out of it, but everybody benefits. I get it's not for everyone though, if you can manage making your own stuff and want to keep it private, no problem.

But if you need others (either in funding, expertise, previous work)... then I'd prefer that the project shares back the results.

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 4

The guy seems to be saying "Mike Kennedy is as bad as Hitler." No one should think that is funny. I could see somebody doing that to poke fun at all of the people who want to boil Mike Kennedy in oil, but the video doesn't seem to be making fun of the angry horde carrying torches and pitchforks.

I thought the Hitler part had something to do with this quote,"If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.”

I'd love to somehow buy one of these. They look so awesome (I know they are 'just' a ras-pi inside). :)

I have a ras-pi, and like running retropie on it.

You know the ironic thing? If I wanted to bring back cartridged-based gaming, that's how I would do it. Imagine a cartridge port on the back of a Coleco tabletop, near the bottom of the unit, similar to how it was done on the Vectrex. As a kid's toy, you couldn't really use a Ras-pi because kids couldn't be expected to understand that they have to initiate (and wait for) the shutdown when they're done playing or when they want to swap cartridges. So the electronics inside a Coleco tabletop clone would need to be custom made, like a Game Boy.

Of course, even if you put aside all the arguments against doing a cartridge-based gaming device in today's world, it still wouldn't make much sense to do a cartridge-based Coleco tabletop clone, because you'd either just use a USB plug instead of a large cartridge slot to cut down on production costs, and heck, you could just say "if I want portable cartridge-based gaming, I'll just get myself a GB/GBC/GBA with a ton of existing cartridges". :P

Someone should just make a multipurpose mainboard that has two cart slots, one for games and one for cartridge based cores, then youre only paying for the cores for systems you want to use.

sorry, but i gave up dongles in the 90s, i'm not about to go back to using them.

• Like 1

But indirectly it brings up a good point, even if the carts say last 50Y what about the console?

Shouldn't that also aspire to last at least as long?

We know it is not gonna happen here, but just for fun I am not aware of any sure fire tech that lasts 50Y, example I have a Vectrex with a motherboard where all the traces are basically bubbling out of it .... it works but it's only been 40Y, not sure it will make to another 10 .... I know the same is happening to a lot of ZX Spectrums, C64s, 7800s, 2600s basically anything late 70s early 80s seems to be experiencing some form of motherboard/PCB "rotting". I have not checked something late 80s, my Gennys are early 90s and seem to be doing fine for now.

Given this is a thread about HW speculation, I believe this is actually pertinent to the discussion aside the shenanigans ongoing!

The prototype for the Magnavox Odyssey(The Brown Box) will be 50 in two years. It is still working. If the grand father for all consoles that was created with technology almost 50 years old is still working and yet working this long wasn't intended(prototypes are intended just to work until the finished product is out) then imagine how long we could make a console last today if we designed it with modern technology using quality parts with the intention of making it last. If 50 years could be done back then unintentionally then surely it could be done much better today. In this video notice how they say it hasn't been played for 40 years. It isn't 50 but it is like having a console in your closet for 50 years.

• Like 3

In any case this is how it looked, not sure if the cart was a "spit collector" or what?

post-36731-0-78054300-1455773004.jpg

I never saw anyone with the clear plastic handles - be nice to stroll into an atari party with a 64-bit powa manbag.

• Like 4

It sounds like Carlsen was against cartridges from the start. I have to agree with him, too. Sure, nostalgia feels for old cartridges are strong even for me. I love the 5200 cartridges, I love Famicom cartridges and their varying sizes and colors, and I love the odd shape to Jaguar Cartridges. Legacy cartridges are appealing because of the nostalgia I have connected with them. I have no real love for GBA or DS cartridges because I don't have any emotions tied to the systems.

If I wanted to bring a retro gaming console to market, I would have it use a CD or DVD drive. Yea, the laser eye will fail down the line but over all the console would do everything and more that I wanted it to do. I'd include a SD card slot too for ROMs and such too. If I was serious of wanting developers jump on board and mass marketing physical games, CD / DVD production is the biggest bang for my buck. It has the most profit returns to me because of how cheap it is to press them out versus building archaic cartridges. Still, I don't see a viable market for a new console that revolves around physical media. Even NB's son sees that with his Polycade, he put a Pi2 in a wall mounted unit and slapped on a bunch of easily licensed games for single arcade units.

I feel like if someone is super serious on bringing back cartridges to the modern market and mass-producing them like MK wanted to do, a handheld with a TV adapter is much more marketable and appealing than a console with a large foot print. As a retro gaming collector, space is everything. Unless you live in a mansion, even a basement isn't big enough for a collector who uses most of their disposable income on collecting for the 1980-2002.

I'd like to hear from the rest of the Wicked Six. Steve Woita, Paul Wylie, Phil Adam, Ben Herman, and Steven Rosenbaum; Do you even know you're part of this project? What is your response to this fiasco? We've heard from David Glitman (however you spell his name) and Chris Cardillo who aren't even listed as being part of the Coleco Chameleon team on the official website. Yet, nothing from the Wicked Six since the legendary Carl Williams interview with JC, SW and MK. I'd also like to hear from Mike directly again on everything that's transpired since his AA post in Jan. I'm not on a witch hunt or ready to tar and feather any of them. I don't even want an apology. I just want to hear what they have to say.

• Like 3

The lack of new and exciting announcements is making the speculation run on his own ..... I see how that works now.

We need more CC announcements, it's like a drug, we need the real deal, we can only make it up so much among ourselves.

It's the final countdown, nanana na, na na na nanna, nanana na, na na na nanna ......

More fitting version

• Like 8

It sounds like Carlsen was against cartridges from the start. I have to agree with him, too. Sure, nostalgia feels for old cartridges are strong even for me. I love the 5200 cartridges, I love Famicom cartridges and their varying sizes and colors, and I love the odd shape to Jaguar Cartridges. Legacy cartridges are appealing because of the nostalgia I have connected with them. I have no real love for GBA or DS cartridges because I don't have any emotions tied to the systems.

If I wanted to bring a retro gaming console to market, I would have it use a CD or DVD drive. Yea, the laser eye will fail down the line but over all the console would do everything and more that I wanted it to do. I'd include a SD card slot too for ROMs and such too. If I was serious of wanting developers jump on board and mass marketing physical games, CD / DVD production is the biggest bang for my buck. It has the most profit returns to me because of how cheap it is to press them out versus building archaic cartridges. Still, I don't see a viable market for a new console that revolves around physical media. Even NB's son sees that with his Polycade, he put a Pi2 in a wall mounted unit and slapped on a bunch of easily licensed games for single arcade units.

I love my NES/SMS cartridges as well...I also love 2600/7800 carts, even though I never grew up with either of them; i like the simple shape and the artwork. If I wanted to bring back a retro console, I would have it be without physical media. Like I hope the NX would...but I know that won't happen.

Disc drives has got to go :)

• Like 1

I saw another comment from him on that video from Larry Bundy where he named the friend in possession of the Jag molds as Gamester81. It just struck me as interesting...

This rang a bell for me, but unfortunately I couldn't find where I'd heard it before. It's hearsay, but if it's true ... Nah, never mind. These are not the molds you are looking for.

post-39941-0-77452400-1457186485_thumb.png

• Like 2