IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Just Excel 2013, they updated the default graph colours and settings a bit in this version, I didn't bother tweaking much. I've used SAS and Stata more myself, if you want to try taking the analysis further I can give you the data files! The other thing that could be teased out of the raw HTML as well as likes is 'replies', might be interesting to see whose posts just get ignored ;)

I think I will pass, thanks! ;-)

• Like 1

I wonder if with the flurry of posts following the latest news this thread would reach 450K views !!!!

I really was hoping for the 500K .... oh well !!!!!

Time to lock the thread (no need to speculate anymore on the CC hardware as there's no CC) and open a new one:

"Where in world is Mike Kennedy?" seems to be a fitting title.

If you like Retro you get the reference.

• Like 2

I noticed that the rate of posting in this thread really seemed to have taken off in the last month or so, so I pulled the html down and knocked together a quick Python script to take a look at the life of the two threads. The inverted y axis on the first image is intentional ;)

attachicon.giftotalposts.pngattachicon.gifpostsperday.pngattachicon.gifallposters.pngattachicon.giftopposters.pngattachicon.gifminutesbetweenposts.png

As of yesterday, 375 different users have made 11,407 posts. That's an average of 30 each but some people have made considerably more.

Times are all in UTC which sometimes credits the next day with posts when we had a busy evening here in North America.

If you want to do some analysis let me know and I can share the source data to save you scraping it (I made the download spread out over a few hours so I hope that's OK).

I can update charts in the future when the thread has grown more- no spam posting to try to get yourself on the charts though! If I get time next week maybe I'll analyse 'liked' posts ;)

My name is on your charts! :-D

• Like 3

I wonder if with the flurry of posts following the latest news this thread would reach 450K views !!!!

Time to lock the thread (no need to speculate anymore on the CC hardware as there's no CC) and open a new one:

"Where in world is Mike Kennedy?"

seems to be a fitting title. If you like Retro you get the reference.

Or even, "Where in the world is Con-man; San Diego?"

• Like 9

"Where in world is Mike Kennedy?"

seems to be a fitting title. If you like Retro you get the reference.

I second this. New thread time

• Like 1

I'm glad this is over and done with (for now). I do remain interested in the continuing fall out, and of course, if a certain someone does a "it wasn't me, I was misled" tour.

This was an idea which might not have been misconceived*, but became bad REALLY fast. The more momentum this picked up, the more ridiculous it got.

It absolutely deserved all the flak it got, if not more. I'm glad we all had a hand in repulsing this attempt to cash in on us and people like us (and folks that didn't know any better).

*I guess. I mean, it seemed like a good idea until held up to the light of reason

• Like 5

"Where in world is Mike Kennedy?" seems to be a fitting title.

If you like Retro you get the reference.

He is probably playing Coleco Chameloeon in Mexico

CNyD5lIWgAE1JL8.jpg

• Like 1

The story of Mike Kennedy isn't over as long as he still has the Jag molds begging to make him money. If only he were satisfied just making replacement shells for Jaguar owners.

Edit: I've also been impressed with how Coleco and Chris presented themselves. They put forward a good business facing, yet didn't hide what was going on. Chris's interview in particular left a very good impression.

Edited by wf_
  • Like 9

A "Coleco Chameleon: Epilogue" thread does seem appropriate.

..Al

Yeah I would like a spot where others who were involved can come forward with additional info like we've seen happen in this thread. The behind the scenes stuff was great and there's no way Mike is the only one who knows the truth about SNESgate and the PCI card. Though at this point anyone who comes forward and admits they knew what was going on will do nothing but damage their own reputation so maybe this is all we'll ever know.

• Like 3

A "Coleco Chameleon: Epilogue" thread does seem appropriate.

..Al

And in thirty years, we can try to revive it in a wave of nostalgia.

"Remember when we thought the Coleco Chameleon might be real? Now you can recapture those days with a Mike Kennedy Simulator presented in Faux-o-vision".

• Like 3

Mike Kennedy watchers might want to keep an eye on his public LinkedIn profile.

Experience
  • Founder, President, Publisher RETRO Media Network
    March 2008 – Present (8 years 1 month)

Over the past seven years I have been working to build a very unique and robust online video gaming network that includes the net's only dedicated gaming C2C/B2C auction marketplace and a print video gaming magazine (RETRO Magazine, ShopReadRETRO.com) coupled with its media/content website, ReadRETRO.com.

Since early 2008, GameGavel has gained popularity for gamers looking for a less expensive, more targeted alternative to selling on eBay. Gamers can buy and sell video games and consoles from all generations as well as other "fringe" items gamers are interested in like toys, comics, anime, music and movies, computers and more. GameGavel recently sold the most expensive commercially available video game in online auction history, an Atari Air Raid closed for over $33,000.

Adding to the this network is RETRO Video Game Magazine - a print, digital and online magazine dedicated to the popular resurgence of RETRO/Indie video games. RETRO has recruited some of the best gaming journalists from the past three decades. The official website of RETRO Magazine is ShopReadRETRO.com. RETRO Magazine is sold nationally through Barnes & Noble and Hastings Entertainment and has subscribers in over 35 countries.

Together with COLECO Holdings, LLC, we are preparing to launch a NEW cartridge based video gaming console, the COLECO Chameleon. Learn more at http://www.Retrovgs.com.

• Like 2

If we want to speculate on what anyone that licenses the Coleco name could due that would be useful, that is another thread. I am afraid a "where is Mike Kennedy" thread would get unnecessarily vicious and would get locked before to gets too far.

Maybe it is reasonable to lock this at the end of the day? There is nothing to speculate now.

• Like 1

The story of Mike Kennedy isn't over as long as he still has the Jag molds begging to make him money. If only he were satisfied just making replacement shells for Jaguar owners.

Edit: I've also been impressed with how Coleco and Chris presented themselves. They put forward a good business facing, yet didn't hide what was going on. Chris's interview in particular left a very good impression.

I recall a friend telling me about his visit to a museum in Japan that is dedicated to disasters and disaster prevention; maybe the molds could be donated there for an informative exhibit?

• Like 6