IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Permanent Vacation

None so far. He's reportedly away on vacation, and I say he's earned it. After all, even with the help of "The Mysterious Mr. Lee," coming up with so many fake prototypes and banning people on Facebook 24/7 must have been exhausting.

The Heat Is On!!!

I believe that's also known as "laying low until the heat's off"

Holy smokes what a read. Unfortunately this isn't the first saga I have read about in all the years since my discovery of forums. It gets disheartening over time, and a lot of bridges, and reputations get burned. But, I think if it would have been successful it may have been cool. Who knows in the alternate realitly, and a functioning console was produced it could've picked up steam. With tons of games in it's arsenal. But, in reality it is very hard to gain any kind of audience with these ip's holding the rights to many older games regardless of it being in a current state of release, or even ones that haven't seen a release in many years. Who knows what their mind set is in keeping those lisnces locked down if they never plan any new games from them? Would make more sense in a business aspect to sell limited rights for them as an old game that they haven't made a cent on in years would now be making atleast something.
I have kind of skimmed the other threads on this endeavor, but have read this one to end. This forum is the most civil of all of them I have been a part of. Yes, some conversations got heated. However, it didn't turn into chaos, and mudslinging like the many I have witnessed. I have literally seen forums end after an event like this from the rift created, more than I want to count...
Lots of knowledgeable people here, as I probably would have never connected the dots on the SNES mini. Though would have found it very odd it was using a Nintendo's exclusive Composite cable, and boy do those cart connectors look familiar. I have never owned a second gen SNES, and have only seen one in person at a glance. LMAO, but that computer card! I saw right away that was hinky, but didn't know exactly what it was. I did start looking because, now, I am no game hardware guy. But, wondered why a game console that was cartridge based would need an IDE?... Then the pic surfaces of the capture card.. Wow, no words come to mind. I'll not speculate what the intention was, and just hope it was a desperate last second attempt to get his console Capitol going to finally make it a reality. Sometimes bad things come from good intentions, but there is also the possibility of less than honest practices taking place unfortunately.

Yeah, if they had real hardware we wouldn't sniff at that. I have a Coleco DINA, a device imported as a cheap clone which also plays Sega SG1000 games and they didn't even advertise that fact. Real Hardware has a purpose. The fact is they just had empty promises.

I strongly believe it was that. And a "why risk my money when I can risk yours?" attitude.

Indeed, that did become more evident the further the story progressed. There was also a bit of info he maybe should have thought about before typing out. The boasting about the shifting of money is the thing I'm referencing. Since there may have been little that could have been done once the KS paid the successful goal if reached. Fraud might have been hard to press, but not impossible. Back on point, it has been referenced here already the funneling of monies could have very well been levied against him. This thread has been referenced in a lot of various conversations about this event, and that info would have been easily discoverable. Social media faux pas have been used in cases successfully, what if info placed on a forum would have held ground? That is one slippery slope...

{Edit: because my cell phone is dumb!!!!}

Edited by Yellow355F1
  • Like 1

Who knows in the alternate realitly, and a functioning console was produced it could've picked up steam. With tons of games in it's arsenal.

The games in the Chameleon's arsenal are already available on actual, existing systems so you can buy them today. The only downside is you can't get them in 10 different limited edition colors.

• Like 5

So do you think that people who currently own the Coleco brand will just give up on releasing a new Coleco branded console? Or do you think they might find someone else to make a new product, totally unrelated to the Chameleon, but having the Coleco brand?

What if they went with a company like Innex and made a "trio" style multiconsole that played games from various classic game systems? Or what if they just made a clone version of the classic ColecoVision? Something tells me they're not just going to walk away from the retro market.

My brain took one look at what I'd already said, their website, and came up with a new system and brand name and brand concept for them if they get really serious.

But, it's a direction everyone's failed at sofar, so, it may just sound mildly good to me and not to other people!

I say it's not as much about Pegging one into a niche as handling what the Coleco brand can mean to new generations.

Meanwhile, i'm just watching Kevtris' work as he sounds like he's going to go full bore on the original VGS idea but using an SD Card.

I say he should make that look like an NEC PC Engine Shuttle just so it looks kind of like a Jaguar, but isn't, hahahhahahah.

So do you think that people who currently own the Coleco brand will just give up on releasing a new Coleco branded console? Or do you think they might find someone else to make a new product, totally unrelated to the Chameleon, but having the Coleco brand?

What if they went with a company like Innex and made a "trio" style multiconsole that played games from various classic game systems? Or what if they just made a clone version of the classic ColecoVision? Something tells me they're not just going to walk away from the retro market.

I'm sure they'll be open to name licensing offers from somebody with actual hardware.

It would be funny if Lee was still working on his prototype and turns his back on Mike to pursue a COLECO partnership without him.

Or whatever happened with Mike's alleged prototype that was playing Neo Geo games before that team left him? Then again, that claim came from Mike so I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually just a cigar box with a smoke alarm in it.

• Like 13

Hey Yellow355F1, just wondering about your user name, do you have a Yellow 355F1? Titanium Grigio 355F1 here. Oddly enough super common in gaming, Tommy Tallarico, Yu Suzuki, and Ed Fries have one too.

No, sadly the dream of owning a 355 never happened. I have had this handle for a very long time because I was going to build a kit car of one based on a Fiero chassis. I bought the car, and was about to order the kit. I wound up joining a Fiero forum, and did a lot of research on my new purchase. After driving the car, and learning it's history I got cold feet. I wound up restoring it to the way it was supposed to be. Which wasn't much work since it was pristeen when I bought it, seemed ashamed to cut it up for a kit. I just kind of held on to the moniker, maybe one day before I get shoved in a box I'll have one?? I don't remember where, or what book I saw an article with Tommy in it he not only has one, but quite a few very wild rides. Even though there are a lot newer more advanced Ferrari's it just continues to hold my eye, it and the 512TR.

The games in the Chameleon's arsenal are already available on actual, existing systems so you can buy them today. The only downside is you can't get them in 10 different limited edition colors.

But, but, I wanna send them in to have them graded!!!!!!!! Picture a child throwing a tantrum, and rolling on the ground.

Edited by Yellow355F1

Yep, and just like that abomination was a waste of a Fiero. That prototype was a waste of a good SNES JR board! Neither of which is common. (If I'm correct of course? Wasn't the JR a very limited run?)

{Edit: about ready to kill auto correct.....}

Edited by Yellow355F1

They've stated that they want to find an existing, completed console and put their name on it to start making money on "revitalizing the brand". I don't think they care either way about level of performance, if it emulates existing systems, etc. They thought the "Chameleon" was almost complete, as I'm sure MK spun the tale.

• Like 2

No, sadly the dream of owning a 355 never happened. I have had this handle for a very long time because I was going to build a kit car of one based on a Fiero chassis. I bought the car, and was about to order the kit. I wound up joining a Fiero forum, and did a lot of research on my new purchase. After driving the car, and learning it's history I got cold feet. I wound up restoring it to the way it was supposed to be. Which wasn't much work since it was pristeen when I bought it, seemed ashamed to cut it up for a kit. I just kind of held on to the moniker, maybe one day before I get shoved in a box I'll have one?? I don't remember where, or what book I saw an article with Tommy in it he not only has one, but quite a few very wild rides. Even though there are a lot newer more advanced Ferrari's it just continues to hold my eye, it and the 512TR.

But, but, I wanna send them in to have them graded!!!!!!!! Picture a child throwing a tantrum, and rolling on the ground.

512 TRs are a real contradiction in design, flat opposed engine to keep the CG low then put it 8 inches higher in the chassis because of the stupid tranny placement. But that said, I always give them a look when one comes up. My next one is a 458 Italia, it is a modernized F355 when you get down to it, it is stiff, loud, harsh and perfect. The cars between the 355 and 458 just got too soft and polite. I have logged a few track sessions with DR and their brilliant instructors in Vegas in a 458 and I am sold http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/videos/scott/scott_458_5.htm

Oh man that fake enzo is rough to look at. I love kit cars in general but that is dog crap.

They've stated that they want to find an existing, completed console and put their name on it to start making money on "revitalizing the brand". I don't think they care either way about level of performance, if it emulates existing systems, etc. They thought the "Chameleon" was almost complete, as I'm sure MK spun the tale.

They care, ALLOT. They just didn't have the staff to determine what they were looking at and they faced up to it publicly. All of that could have been done in private but they didn't, they did it all in the open and came here in an open forum for input to their project.

Edited by Pipercub
  • Like 5