IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Anybody in the know can check that statement about media mail not being an option? As stated it seems to be a bit of handwaving.

Edit: ok maybe I was too harsh. From USPS website:

Media Mail packages may not contain advertising. Comic books do not meet this standard

I guess it has ads and could be considered like a comic book given the content.

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 2

I don't know about media mail but I just realized he must be using one of those home postage printing scales because he said it's "based on your location and weight." But that still makes no sense because the cost is $10 regardless so it's not based on "your location" at all. And if this is true, he should know you can print flat rate postage with those.

• Like 2

Anybody in the know can check that statement about media mail not being an option? As stated it seems to be a bit of handwaving.

Edit: ok maybe I was too harsh. From USPS website:

I guess it has ads and could be considered like a comic book given the content.

Mike's not right about many things, but he IS right about Media Mail. The magazine would not qualify for it -- no magazine would if it has a single add in it. The USPS is cracking down big time on people abusing that.

• Like 1

Mike's not right about many things, but he IS right about Media Mail. The magazine would not qualify for it -- no magazine would if it has a single add in it. The USPS is cracking down big time on people abusing that.

Mike was probably unaware of that rule until he read about it in a post on NeoGAF.

(Let's see if anyone still remembers that reference ...)

• Like 5

Ugh; I can't unsubscribe from various RETRO notifications from Mike fast enough. This is seriously like the third email I've received shilling for this stupid thing. DO NOT WANT. I didn't like the first ten fucking issues; not sure why I'd want to revisit them.

As funny as I think he is, I feel the same way ...I'm confident that I won't miss any more comedy gems thanks to this fine thread which will forever live in infamy. I've unsubscribed from the project too!
  • Like 4

Be great to have this as a real sitcom just like the classic 80's Nickelodeon iconic show.

You might be on to something there. We could have a sitcom in which the recurring theme is Mike's never-ending litany of harebrained get-rich-quick schemes. Instead of Barth's Burgery, every episode would start in "Lee's Lab", where "The Mysterious Mr. Lee" serves up yet another crazy invention made out of trash, which Mike just KNOWS will be the key to striking it rich. And of course, whenever anyone says "SNES" but pronounces it "SNEZZZ" instead of spelling out every letter like they're SUPPOSED to, they get slimed.
  • Like 5

So Kennedy is charging $10 to ship the megamag because he didn't realize it would be cheaper faster and safer to use a priority envelope. Either he's working alone, or too stubborn to listen to anyone's input. Why does this theme sound familiar? It could also be ignorance, but I suspect it's just a general all around case of incompetence.

Edit: I can't wait to see him try to fit the USPS under the bus, maybe they deliberately sold him on the more expensive option to stay afloat?

Edited by toiletunes
  • Like 8

Long time listener, first time caller.

Can I just say hello to everyone that knows me! :)

I did post in the RGR forums a few times but since installing a DD-WRT router, the site tells me I don't have permission. Very strange and I'll get around to looking at it sometime but yours is the only site that doesn't work.

• Like 1

I have to say that I am very disappointed in how Mike K. has changed over the last few years. I've listened to RGR from day one, and I always liked Mike and his contribution to the show. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy. But he has changed for the worse and based on his actions over the last year or so, I can't listen to him or read what he has to say without cringing. Again, it's all very disappointing for me.

• Like 8

I don't know that it is a mistake, the shipping price that is.

If he actually sells them all with that shipping, (As if, but just hang in there a moment) then ships them using the cheaper option, and says that the added cost was a handling fee or some such, then he will be pocketing about 3 bucks per sale. So.. that and the little bit of profit from the inflated cost of the magazine would go a long way to digging one's self out of a debt hole. So, in theory if they all sold he could be looking at a 20k+ profit with about 10k of that just from overcharging on the shipping. That is if they all sold... but that's a pretty big if.

My theory is that the inflated shipping is another cash grab attempt to leech money out of the gaming community. Given the recent history I don't see any reason to believe it is an honest, or ignorant mistake.

I would imagine that the shipping won't be done by the magazine, but rather a third party company that he has created. Something like Retro Shipping Service, and that way no one involved in the magazine will see any of the profits from shipping and the money won't have to go back to paying any debt the magazine holds.

• Like 8

I think we have another nominee in the RVGS Shitty Crowdfunding Pitch Short Film Contest.

Meet: BLACKROOM, a hardcore shooter from Romero and Carmack (no, not that Carmack, you silly)

It has a cringey pitch video with more ideas than hard work to show off:

And they even recruited a friend held their friend at gunpoint off camera to make an equally cringey video talking about how we should remain confident and give money even though they've shown so little.

• Like 3

You might be on to something there. We could have a sitcom in which the recurring theme is Mike's never-ending litany of harebrained get-rich-quick schemes. Instead of Barth's Burgery, every episode would start in "Lee's Lab", where "The Mysterious Mr. Lee" serves up yet another crazy invention made out of trash, which Mike just KNOWS will be the key to striking it rich. And of course, whenever anyone says "SNES" but pronounces it "SNEZZZ" instead of spelling out every letter like they're SUPPOSED to, they get slimed.

PicsArt_04-28-06.40.54_zpsctcfemkx.jpg?w

PicsArt_04-28-06.42.08_zpsvdl50xma.jpg?w

• Like 7

I think we have another nominee in the RVGS Shitty Crowdfunding Pitch Short Film Contest.

Meet: BLACKROOM, a hardcore shooter from Romero and Carmack (no, not that Carmack, you silly)

And they even recruited a friend held their friend at gunpoint off camera to make an equally cringey video talking about how we should remain confident and give money even though they've shown so little.

Oh boy! It's a Holodeck episode and somehow the safety protocols are OFF!

• Like 2

And it's been canceled, just 1 hour ago, after only 4 days! The link in the update below goes to a post titled "Pressing Pause for a Gameplay Demo" that is for backers only.

Night Work Games USA LLC about 1 hour ago

Hi everyone,

So based on comments we were seeing from the community we have decided to put the campaign on pause. You can read the in depth reasoning here -https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nightworkgames/blackroom-a-new-fps-from-romero-and-carmack/posts/1560022 BLACKROOM will be back. So please sign up for our newsletter nightworkgames.com and follow us on twitter @nightworkgames Thanks again for all your amazing support.

The main page has an explanation:

You asked for it, and you’re getting it: a gameplay demo of BLACKROOM.

The team is at work on a demo which demonstrates the kind of gameplay, look and innovative, cool features that make BLACKROOM truly unique — the things we’ve waited years to put into an FPS and which make us incredibly excited about this game.

There’s a hitch here, a hitch that’s making us do something that’s right for the game, the team, and the community: we’re pressing “PAUSE” on the fundraising campaign for BLACKROOM to complete this gameplay demo. Simply put, this will take more time than the Kickstarter has left, so we’ve decided to suspend the campaign and launch a new one when the gameplay demo is ready. We believe, however, it is the right choice. We know you do, too. Thanks to your feedback, we know we should have included it at launch.

To all of our backers: your support has been incredible and valuable. We will, of course, honor backer achievements in the next campaign (and an extra something for those of you who continue to support us in the next campaign).

While we're working on the first gameplay demo, we welcome you to stay in touch with us at nightworkgames.com and @nightworkgames. Sign up for our newsletter for regular updates. You’re also welcome to email us at info@nightworkgames.com.

The last Kickstarter Romero was involved in didn't go too well either, canceled after 20 days: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal

• Like 1

pffffft Randy Pitchford?

He's a confirmed con man, too.