IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

If I were clouded by past nostalgia, I would be defending Mike's project, and giving it the benefit of the boubt. I have done neither.

That wasn't targeted to you in particular so sorry if it came out that way. I'm anticipating that if (when?) things go pearshape they will try to victimize themselves personally to make people feel sorry for them, but this is inconsistent with the image they themselves are pushing forward right now in order to get people to fund their (vague) ideas. As somebody else said in this or the older thread, "for 2 million anybody can bring cartridges back" :)

• Like 1

I fear this most due to the Amiga core. Next he'll have an AtariST

The code for these cores is open source, so as long as they respect the license terms it's fair game.There are also open cores for NES and other consoles out there.

The problem is that the approach of these FPGA boards is to be completely open for developers, which the CC definitely won't be (or "Coleco" will lose their monopoly on cartridge manufacturing for the machine).

Here's a good video for anybody wanting to know more about the MiST or FPGAs in general:

Edited by Newsdee

It's as if Nintendo were pitching a new console but they laid off all their hardware and game designers, and just kept their manufacturing guy and advertising manager, and then they put up ads saying "Help-a me builda my nexto console" with Mario wielding a Virtual Boy.

A console like the Virtual Boy sounds like a pretty good idea, relatively speaking, that is. At least it would be something different (not counting the Virtual Boy itself, of course), not just another SNES or ColecoVision or Intellivision that people can already play pretty much wherever they want. To me, the Chameleon is useless unless it provides a different gaming experience than anything else around. I don't need a Snezzy Mario or whatever clone, or a "16 bit" version of a ColecoVision game that plays just fine in 8 bits at ~4 MHz.

• Like 1

I hate to say this, cause like some other posters I thought highly of Mike when he was on RGR, but he's like a kid who told a white lie to his mother, and then had to make up another lie to cover that one, and so on and on. It's snowballed out of control. He started this project with his heart in the right place (even though I think the age of cartridges is dead and gone) but now with all the effort, all the lies, all the spent money on the project, he's in WAY too deep. There's no way to just 'kill it' at this point. He's out money, he's out time, and he's lost two of his best friends with Scott and Mike.

It's really sad it got to this point.

• Like 6

U.K. Mike (who may drop by to comment on this as well) have been asking ourselves that question for over a year now. We have even asked can we have our old Socal Mike back? This is a man we loved like a brother, we shared hotel rooms at expos, were guests in each other's homes, and it always felt more like family than friends. Socal Mike really, really was a true believer and while he certainly expressed that he wanted to work in this (gaming) industry rather than what he was doing for a day job there was always a love of the games and community first. I could not in good faith say that he was ever about the money (at an opportunistic level) and his humor and spark for gaming was among the greatest I have seen. I feel like I am writing an obituary here, and as U.K. Mike and I have mutually expressed it may as well be because its like were talking about a guy that isn't around anymore. All of this using and discarding people, throwing them under the bus and diminishing their contributions which helped turn his ideas into reality, and trying to shut down videos and articles and deleting facebook messages that are in opposition to what he is doing as some sort of righteous crusade when in fact they are telling the truth, all of this is not the guy we knew.

The best I can tell you is that when the first kickstarter of the mag hit all of the "we" talk, and there is ALLOT of that on a Socal Mike project, ended and the ME talk began. It was like when people get bit by a zombie and their eyes glaze over and they are gone. Funny enough I was talking with someone the other day telling old Socal Mike stories, like the times that we surprised him with U.K. Mike coming to the US. The first time we staged them meeting in the bathroom with UK on the pot, the next time we dressed UK up as a waiter at a bar in Portland. Man it was classic, after we reveal it was UK Socal takes out his phone and calls his wife calmly, 'Yeah, yeah, they got me again, he was a waiter this time" I am chuckleing just now thinking about it, we miss that guy.

People do change, and not always for the better. I hope he straightens up at some point. The recklesslessness by which he is conducting his business, "trhowing people under the bus" and basically taking the community at large who is very near and dear to him for complete suckers or fools... I am afraid his reputation is already irreparably damaged, and may not ever recover from this debacle.

• Like 1

It's as if Nintendo were pitching a new console but they laid off all their hardware and game designers, and just kept their manufacturing guy and advertising manager, and then they put up ads saying "Help-a me builda my nexto console" with Mario wielding a Virtual Boy. The usual tactic is betting on there being enough passionate geeks out there that might be willing to do work for them for chump change while they reap the rewards for "having the idea" and owning the brand name. And I'm not blaming one guy either - this is a classic corporate trick which does work but also ends up parodied in Dilbert.

Yes, but I actually trust that when Nintendo makes a new console, they will deliver. I own every Nintendo console except for the Virtual Boy. I bought the Wii-U, and I and the ten million other gamers who bought one had a blast with it, and still think the tablet controller is a briliant idea, even if misunderstood by Joe Public. I do about 90% of my Wii-U gaming on it.

I have faith that the NX will deliver a quality experience, regardless of what the "dudebro" Sony/MS fanboys and haters in general have to say about it. Nintendo will deliver hardware, and will deliver awesome, fun games, regardless of what the specs are. Whether it turns out to be their swansong "Dreamcast," or a blockbuster success like the Wii/NES, I know I will not regret being a day one purchaser.

On the contrary, The Coleco Chameleon seems like such a joke. They have the Jag shell, the Wii-U clone controller, the Coleco name, and an SNES Mini for a proto. I have zero faith that team Coleco will deliver either the hardware or the games. So far they have nothing announced besides a few homebrews that are already available for SNES et al, and some 'Coleco/Intelli-vision collections that I'm skeptical they will be able to port over without outsourcing the porting to Asian devs or blatantly stealing them from open sourced projects.

• Like 2

I hate to say this, cause like some other posters I thought highly of Mike when he was on RGR, but he's like a kid who told a white lie to his mother, and then had to make up another lie to cover that one, and so on and on. It's snowballed out of control. He started this project with his heart in the right place (even though I think the age of cartridges is dead and gone) but now with all the effort, all the lies, all the spent money on the project, he's in WAY too deep. There's no way to just 'kill it' at this point.

...again.

• Like 2

Ok, I am now a member of the "banned from the coleco facebook club". I asked why the Coleco compo cart couldn't just have all the games on 1 cart. BOOM! Comment IMMIDATELY deleted, and I can no longer post comments on their page. I posted annother comment as well, just before that, asking why so many comments have been deleted. These comments were SECONDS apart. Talk about an iron curtain. There is absolutely a person watching that thing like a hawk.

State controlled media, that's exactly what that is.

What a sham whole thing is.

Kim Jung Un would be proud. Just consider yourself lucky that Mike does not have the authority to execute nay-sayers! :skull:

That wasn't targeted to you in particular so sorry if it came out that way. I'm anticipating that if (when?) things go pearshape they will try to victimize themselves personally to make people feel sorry for them, but this is inconsistent with the image they themselves are pushing forward right now in order to get people to fund their (vague) ideas. As somebody else said in this or the older thread, "for 2 million anybody can bring cartridges back" :)

No offense taken at all. Carry on!:) Edited by Retro Nick

When you block someone from a group on Facebook, you can see them in a list of blocked people, right? I wonder how large their block list is now?

So if I'm right, they are in possession of a list of real names of people who showed some interest in their product, but as a result of COLECO dickishness, are likely to never again do business with them.

Instead of a list of business leads and contacts, it's more like an enemies list. Way to go, RVGS.

• Like 3

Kim Jung Un would be proud. Just consider yourself lucky that Mike does not have the authority to execute nay-sayers! :skull:

Well, if he attempted to get my FB account closed, would it surprise you at this point?

This is the most hostile censorship I've ever been on the receiving end of!

• Like 2

When you block someone from a group on Facebook, you can see them in a list of blocked people, right? I wonder how large their block list is now?

So if I'm right, they are in possession of a list of real names of people who showed some interest in their product, but as a result of COLECO dickishness, are likely to never again do business with them.

Instead of a list of business leads and contacts, it's more like an enemies list. Way to go, RVGS.

When you put it that way, it's absolutely........HORRIFYING

So we know the censorship will continue unabated, like last time, nothing new.

I do understand people need to vent their frustration about it but fact of the matter is that Mike & Co ain't gonna stop doing it.

Given the recent videos and rest of general outrage who thinks something gotta give waaaaaaay before the begin of the KS (which is only 6 days away)?

Given the recent videos and rest of general outrage who thinks something gotta give waaaaaaay before the begin of the KS (which is only 6 days away)?

I think it's reasonable to wait and see what they show at the Kickstarter, not just hardware but also details about timelines and process. Personally, I doubt they'll post anything that changes hearts and minds after the Toy Fair shitshow, but short of a takedown by Nintendo, they're not going to quit before they begin.

Look at this guy, who has a wait and see attitude, unswayed by evidence presented so far. http://www.playeronepodcast.com/forum/index.php?/topic/9000-mike-kennedys-retro-vgs-project/

• Like 1

As reachable as their goal seems, I still don't see them having 2000 randoms on FB who are willing to pony up and Kickstart the project and I don't think they can possibly have one iota of support on any retro gaming forum, so I think they will inevitably not reach their goal regardless of the deleting and trying to save face... in the least face saving way possible. There's just no one people haven't heard the negatives by now and when the KS actually launches, more are gonna come in. And when people do pledge, they are going to have that shit running for x amount of days, and they have to prevent those people from finding out about the messy history.

If the same 300 people back it as last time, their backing would be more in the 40 000 region than the 80 000. It's still gonna take a lot more people to get this thing going and they likely aren't offering near as interesting of games as they did before. No one is gonna give a shit about the Colecovision/Intellivision stuff.

The greatest secret they're holding back now is the pack-in game... how they've kept that back so long is beyond me... unless like the prototype, there is no pack-in game. Would that be the ultimate icing on the cake... if the KS launched with "pack-in to be named at a later date?" I wouldn't put it past him, though part of me thinks not even Mike is that goofy. But, if it's not Intellivision, it's not Colecovision, it's not the Piko stuff... what else could it be? Collectorvision or a completely out of left field game would be the only option.

• Like 2