IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

The greatest secret they're holding back now is the pack-in game... how they've kept that back so long is beyond me... unless like the prototype, there is no pack-in game. Would that be the ultimate icing on the cake... if the KS launched with "pack-in to be named at a later date?" I wouldn't put it past him, though part of me thinks not even Mike is that goofy. But, if it's not Intellivision, it's not Colecovision, it's not the Piko stuff... what else could it be? Collectorvision or a completely out of left field game would be the only option.

Not sure what happened with Tiny Knight... perhaps this could be the pack in game? It seemed like a Retro VGS game that was something that they were really excited about at that time.

Well... it'll be less than a week and then we will know everything (well everything they want to tell us) about the Coleco Chameleon.

What really bothered me about the toy fair isn't even the deception(that's bad, but truth be told this kinda stuff happens fairly often, so I'm not surprised...just very disappointed). It's that they did such a completely shoddy job covering it up. Like, I'm pretty sure with 1-2 days effort I could take a SNES JR, slice/trim the board, tap traces on the board to external ports, and make it LOOK like an entirely enclosed unit.

They think the gaming community is so stupid that it's not even worth the effort to try and deceive us properly, that tells me a lot more about their attitude then the attempt at faking a prototype.

Just disgusting how little effort it would have taken to fake properly, and they couldn't even be bothered with it.

(just to re-iterate, not saying what they did was right, but if you're going to try and fake it... don't do it in a way that massively insults everyone's intelligence).

• Like 12

Although I have mixed feelings about the Retro Gaming Roundup podcast and its hosts, one of the genuine highlights of that show was their extensive interview of Ted Dabney. It was very clear that the hosts were anxious to tell the other side of the Atari story, and give credit where it was due to the engineers (Dabney and Alcorn) that made all of Atari's success possible.

Because Mike was a part of that interview, it is disappointing that he apparently has forgotten that primal lesson. More to the point, Bushnell never took a Magnavox Odyssey and put an Atari shell over it and pretended it was his own work.

I respect that, and honestly the reason I have barely 100 posts in over 10 years here is because we often felt like we were posting with white text on a white background. I recall posting the Dabney interview and seeing comments like "yeah but what do the experts have to say" phuck we talked to the man himself to set the story straight.

• Like 3

I gotta say, ever since I started following this... I didn't really know what more to expect. It seemed like it would be doomed to fail from the start. Yet, despite everything, I sort of wanted to get a Chameleon, if only for the novelty. To be able to say, "hey, this was a thing that some guy tried to pull off, but failed to make it last. Doesn't it look pretty, sitting next to the Ouya, there?" Y'know, an amusing conversation piece.

After that Toy Fair fiasco, though? Barring some heavenly miracle from down on high to save Mike and co. from the hole they've dug themselves into, I'm... not quite as inclined to support it. I knew I should have expected that they wouldn't have anything to show for all the "miracles" they promised, but, oh well. On the plus side, that SNES-in-a-Jag revelation sure made my day! Haven't laughed that hard in quite a while. Wonder what more interesting news the Kickstarter will bring...

Sorry, I'm new here. Was lurking for the past few weeks but decided to make an account. Please be gentle.

• Like 7

B-but that takes actual effort, and stuff!

And thanks. :)

Then don't promise, "as simple as that"! (<-- quoting Mike saying that his quality assurance is telling to the devs to ship games with no bugs)

As you are at it look around, there are great topics in all the forums, watch out for the Jag section it may get abrasive at times ("hic sunt leones"/"here be dragons" depending if you like the Latins/Anglo-Saxons more).

If it was a Mortal Kombat play session I'd say "Choose your destiny".

EDIT: and clearly indicating your gender in a testosterone laden men-children lair may not be the best course of action :twisted:

EDIT2: assuming that's not a CC proto kind of situation, so it's not what you say it is after all.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

I respect that, and honestly the reason I have barely 100 posts in over 10 years here is because we often felt like we were posting with white text on a white background. I recall posting the Dabney interview and seeing comments like "yeah but what do the experts have to say" phuck we talked to the man himself to set the story straight.

I wouldn't let a few sour apples dictate what and where you post. We even have a few jerks right in this very thread.

Then don't promise, "as simple as that"!

As you are at it look around, there's great topics in all forums, watch out for the Jag section it may get abrasive at times ("hic sunt leones"/"here be dragons" depending if you like the Latin/Anglo-Saxons more). If it was a Mortal Kombat play session I'd say "Choose your destiny".

EDIT: and clearly indicating your gender in a testosterone laden man-child lair may not be the best course of action :twisted:

EDIT2: assuming that's not a CC prototype kind of situation, so it's not what you say it is after all.

Oh noez, muh power level!

Eh, it doesn't make a lot of difference to me, really. I'm always amused at the reactions, so, I guess there's that. And I'll certainly be having a better look around the place too, thanks.

Back on topic: I've changed my mind. If Mike can guarantee Vectrex support, I'll buy it. He can get someone to write up a SNES core in mere months, so it shouldn't be a big deal, right? ;)

• Like 1

Oh noez, muh power level!

Eh, it doesn't make a lot of difference to me, really. I'm always amused at the reactions, so, I guess there's that. And I'll certainly be having a better look around the place too, thanks.

Back on topic: I've changed my mind. If Mike can guarantee Vectrex support, I'll buy it. He can get someone to write up a SNES core in mere months, so it shouldn't be a big deal, right? ;)

Don't believe a word that comes out of Mike's mouth at this point. You can bet your pretty head nobody on Mike's team will pull a functional SNES FPGA core out of their butts in four months. Also welcome to Atariage! ;-)

Kevtris, king of FPGA cores and creator of the Zimba 3000 concept, pretty much confirmed in a post several pages ago that nobody can do a functional core that quick; even he doesn't have one yet, and Kevtris is pretty much the best there is. Also you'd be hard pressed to find an FPGA core large enough to do SNES at under $150 price point. Most of the good ones are $300 and up.

• Like 1

Also welcome to Atariage! ;-)

Thank you! :-D

Kevtris, king of FPGA cores and creator of the Zimba 3000 concept, pretty much confirmed in a post several pages ago that nobody can do a functional core that quick; even he doesn't have one yet, and Kevtris is pretty much the best there is. Also you'd be hard pressed to find an FPGA core large enough to do SNES at under $150 price point. Most of the good ones are $300 and up.

So in short: impossible? Welp, that's hardly surprising. I don't know all that much about the nitty-gritty of getting these things up and running, but I'd figured it's not exactly a weekend project. Add on the Genesis core, Colecovision, INTV, and apparently now a 2600 one... plus the SNES one that's obviously not done... and potentially more still, if Mike and his PR squad are allowed to flap their gums further...

I'm not even sure what they're trying to do with this thing, anymore. I don't see it doing things that other systems can't already do, and better. This thing is shaping up to be some kind of Frankenstein's monster of cores and components.

SNES FPGA "core" is not impossible, just extremely complex. It has largest transistor count compared to other 16-bit consoles save for perhaps NeoGeo, and unlike NES, much of the hardware is still undocumented despite nearly two decades of emulation development. The more components and transistors, the larger the FPGA needs to be.

You give team Chameleon way too much credit. These jokers can't even wire up an LED and power switch, let alone assemble an FPGA board much less program one. I'm interested to see what stunt they try and pull off for the Kickstarter. They seem hell bent on getting by on excuses and minimal effort, so I have little faith at this time, even if the kickstarter succeeds, that it will be a viable product, if it ever gets delivered at all.

• Like 2

StopDrop&Retro, I assume that you are working on a video, yes? :) please remember that I hate

short videos! Let it rip!

Yes! I do have a video in the works. I can't guarantee Mike will appreciate it but I genuinely think you guys will enjoy it because it does end with positive vibes about our community. Still working on it, I have a friend helping me out with some audio issues so I have to wait on that part.

• Like 7

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/18/coleco-chameleon-atari-2600/

They own the rights to 300 VCS games now?

The company that calls itself Atari wasn't able to put together more than 100 titles that it still has the rights for their latest Steam pack. Their 80-in-1 console release included a large number of arcade titles to reach that number. Even then, they had to include every original 2600 title no matter how simple or obscure like "Fun With Numbers". To get to 100, they probably have to include the Sears variants (same game, different name). So where anyone (Mike or the clueless Engadget reporter) got that 300 number is anyone's guess. We know from the Flashbacks that Activision wants a non-trivial amount of cash to part with their titles. It's unlikely that Mike could wrangle an additional 200 titles either from homebrews or reacquiring expired 2600 licenses. Still, I'd love to hear Mike claim that Spielberg has expressed interest in putting E.T. and Raiders on the CC.

SNES FPGA "core" is not impossible, just extremely complex. It has largest transistor count compared to other 16-bit consoles save for perhaps NeoGeo, and unlike NES, much of the hardware is still undocumented despite nearly two decades of emulation development. The more components and transistors, the larger the FPGA needs to be.

Well, I meant "impossible" in terms of creating one within such a limited time frame. But I imagine the complexity you speak of plays a part in that. Programming games for the thing must've been a chore.

You give team Chameleon way too much credit. These jokers can't even wire up an LED and power switch, let alone assemble an FPGA board much less program one. I'm interested to see what stunt they try and pull off for the Kickstarter. They seem hell bent on getting by on excuses and minimal effort, so I have little faith at this time, even if the kickstarter succeeds, that it will be a viable product, if it ever gets delivered at all.

For a while before this, I'd wondered if the system would just end up being a Raspberry Pi taped inside a shell. That seems to be edging more and more into the realm of plausibility now...

• Like 2

Early 8-bit games were typically done by one programmer. SNES, being on the cusp of the 32-bit era, was different. There's whole teams working on the games.

Gone were the days when it was practical for 1 person to be totally familiar with all aspects of the machine they were working on.

LOL. I'm tempted to make a video to see if they "go after" me.

Mike: "Make him disappear."

I have many Videos out about the Retro VGS and CC, including one that's titled: "The Coleco Chameleon already failed, just let it die" (almost 2 months old)

And a Video asking "Is the Coleco Chameleon an SNES in a Jaguar Shell?"

This second Video has over 1300 hits. It uses Pictures made by the RVGS Team, but I haven't got any Claims or strikes against me. It's the first Video on YouTube about the SNES fiasco.

Mike can't really do much. Specially because now Youtube has a policiy of going after People that Claim bogus Copyright Claims. If they go crazy flagging everyone it might come right back at him.

• Like 1

Yes! I do have a video in the works. I can't guarantee Mike will appreciate it but I genuinely think you guys will enjoy it because it does end with positive vibes about our community. Still working on it, I have a friend helping me out with some audio issues so I have to wait on that part.

I can't wait! Remember, 10+ minutes. :-D

I watched your Playstation TV videos, thanks for those.

I bought a Playstation TV about a year ago, used it for 10 minutes and packed it away.

Ugly interface, no 1080p etc. Get the Nvidia Shield TV. I love it.

/Nick

Edited by AE35

Gone were the days when it was practical for 1 person to be totally familiar with all aspects of the machine they were working on.

Fun fact: I was blown away when I learned (not that long ago) that the Nasir that did a bunch of Apple II games I played as a kid is the same Nasir Gebelli that worked on the Final Fantasy series...

The greatest secret they're holding back now is the pack-in game... how they've kept that back so long is beyond me... unless like the prototype, there is no pack-in game. Would that be the ultimate icing on the cake... if the KS launched with "pack-in to be named at a later date?" I wouldn't put it past him, though part of me thinks not even Mike is that goofy. But, if it's not Intellivision, it's not Colecovision, it's not the Piko stuff... what else could it be? Collectorvision or a completely out of left field game would be the only option.

Air%20Raid%207_zpsfzreg0rq.jpg

• Like 2