IGNORED

Super Pro Utopia?

intvdave

Why have weather if it is predictable? Which brings up the question, why have the option of where to put crops down if you already know where the weather is going to be?

I was a bit surprised to see that people wanted 3 and/or 4 player options. Making a one player version does not seem to be worth the effort.

After seing that some of you wanted interesting options such as sharks with lasers, I knew I was going in the wrong direction with updating the game. Utopia was not a game I played as a kid. I just thought it would be nice to update the game for those that would play it. I am going to focus on updating games I play and understand better. Sorry to have brought this thread up. Maybe someone can close this thread.

Dave,

You've seen everyone's wish list, but you certainly don't need to listen to any of it. Part of a round table discussion is to get everyone to chime in and then start shooting down the ideals that are beyond the scope of the project.

We've heard many large requests, so now is the time to narrow things down.

I think some of these items can become a great Super Pro Utopia release:

1p vs computer mode

1p mode to control both islands at the same time

fixing existing bugs

adding the governor's award (in 2 player mode only) that is mentioned in the manual but is missing from the existing game

change up the weather a little (have an option of selecting old-school weather or fully random weather paths)

I think just that small list alone would be a great update to the game, and one that many people would play. If you look at 90% of the posts, they were all for a 1 player mode. It will be one that I play a lot.

The other items can become "Superdooper Pro Utopia 2", that uses ESC, and includes all the above, plus:

1 or 2 player modes, as above, but adding 3 or 4 player modes if ESC is connected

selectable islands or one large continent that is subdivided

More weather options (flooding, drought, etc)

severe earth shattering events (tsunami, earthquakes, volcano, meteors, aliens, etc)

More awards and challenges to achieve

Variable strength items to withstand weather or rebels

There was that recent poll asking about ESC and if additional games should be developed for it, well this is just an out cropping of that.

If your heart isn't into the game, then it is understandable that trying to update it will be more of a chore and not a passion.

Please let us know if we can change your mind for the Super Pro 1-player version, and maybe in the future one of the other producers may take on Superdooper Pro Utopia 2

Yes David please make the 1 player super version of this game!

I agree that if ALL you do is add a 1 player vs the cpu option you will have an outstanding achievement and classic add on to the inty library.

The game utopia is hands down 1 of the most important games ever made for the intellivision! Best 2 player game in my opinion if not the best game that kept me coming back for years.

It's also THE VERY FIRST SIM GAME EVER MADE....to me that is huge and what all was inspired from its release way back in 82 until now!

Any small tweets you may add besides a 1 player vs cpu would be gravy and not necessary.

I would not change the weather or the building items!

Adding a governors award would be something to consider since it was mentioned in the manual but again not necessary ;)

Don't feel overwhelmed by everyone's ideas, it's all just brainstorming.

And the 1 player mode is most important, don't lose sight of what a great idea this is or what a great game utopia is...even if you didn't play it....which you should now :) kids LOVE this game too!

I don't think the effort to create a full artificial intelligence player would be worthwhile. There are issues with the scoring system that need to be addressed. See the excellent analysis from Intvnut.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233297-utopia-thoughts/?p=3143628

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/197259-utopia-revealed/?p=2511401

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that there is no penalty for a high death rate and killing off your population. As long as the survivors have housing and food you can maximize your score. You can lower your population and continue to build productive factories. There is no relationship between population and factory productivity There is no benefit to building a hospital since lowering your population is actually beneficial. Perhaps it was designed this way because limited island space is a problem.

I think the priorities for an updated Utopia game would be a one player mode where you can build on both islands, and a tweaked scoring mode addressing current scoring issues.

I am going to implement the nukes. That would be easy. There will be no sharks. The entire screen will become land with a line separating the sides if in 2 player mode. The nukes will come in from the sides and destroy 5 quadrants. The hurricanes become tornados. Ships and fish are gone so that means 4 player mode will not be implemented since it will no longer makes sense.

• Like 3

Ships and fish are gone? How are you gonna make money or is it 'game over' after the nukes? :lol:

Gotta clean up the environment and rebuild the populous somehow. Or not. :rolling:

Don't you know, it is said that the cockroaches will be able to survive a nuke holocaust, so once the nukes are deployed then the cockroaches will take over.

Or the ants, like in the "Empire of the Ants" 1977 movie and we are all sprayed in the face by the queen ant and become her drones.

How about some snow? Can the color be changed easily? You know im serious! :)

Snow leads to ice, which leads to polar bears, which leads to a terrifying adversary with no natural enemies....unless the seas were stocked with sharks with friggin' laser beams attached to their heads. Do you want chaos? Cause that's how you get chaos.

https://youtu.be/Bh7bYNAHXxw

Some options did not make it into this version. Sorry no snow but.. you can choose:

- Terms (as before)

- Turn Length (as before)

- Players (1-4)

- Island Layout (1-9)

- Laser Sharks (0-1)

- Nukes (0-1)

This is what all of you wanted! Enjoy!

UTOPIA.GIF

Utopia.rom

Wait, for serious? You put sharks in it? :) I was totally kidding but if you did that is fantastic.

Some options did not make it into this version. Sorry no snow but.. you can choose:

- Terms (as before)

- Turn Length (as before)

- Players (1-4)

- Island Layout (1-9)

- Laser Sharks (0-1)

- Nukes (0-1)

This is what all of you wanted! Enjoy!

attachicon.gifUTOPIA.GIF

attachicon.gifUtopia.rom

I can't continue after selecting 1 for Nukes and press ENTER?

[click to animate]

post-38229-0-03570800-1452224815_thumb.gif