IGNORED

A Boy and his Blob remake being re-release!

TPR

I spent 22 years in the video games industry until I retired in 2011 and this was one of my favorite games I worked on of my entire career! Sadly, with the glut of Wii games coming out, it never really got the attention it deserved. Our team was the group that went on to create Shovel Knight and we are all huge fans of the original NES game and loved things like Disney animation. We were all super happy with the results of the game and we got some GREAT reviews! I hope now this game gets the attention I feel it deserves!

It is a "hug button" because we put a lot of love into it! :)

http://bit.ly/1JrK8jB

2009s A Boy and His Blob remake is coming to Xbox One, PC, and PlayStation 4 on January 19.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

I have (and completed) the Wii version and it was wonderful. One of my most fondly remembered Wii titles. I'm glad even more folks will get a chance to play it now :)

We had always said it was "one of the best Wii games that nobody every played." But that didn't discourage the team in any way. We were really happy with the response that we got from the people who DID play it. The original NES game was such an obscure title to begin with, and this was a re-make title that was a passion project for many of us and the team actually pitched to Majesco. I remember there was some sort of discussion, I don't remember if it was internal or with the publisher that went something like this...

"Out of all the NES games, you want to re-make... that one???"

"Yes. And it will be awesome. Just trust us."

"Ok!"

It took a lot more convincing than that, but in a nutshell we were just happy that someone took our crazy idea and ran with it! Now 7 years later maybe some people will finally get to play it! :grin:

• Like 1

My curiosity is piqued - TPR what was your role in ABAHB and Shovel Knight? (I bought Shovel Knight for Wii U at Xmastime but sadly haven't popped it in yet. Really looking forward to it).

Also, will this re-release of ABAHB be a physical copy or download only?

My curiosity is piqued - TPR what was your role in ABAHB and Shovel Knight? (I bought Shovel Knight for Wii U at Xmastime but sadly haven't popped it in yet. Really looking forward to it).

Also, will this re-release of ABAHB be a physical copy or download only?

I was the producer on A Boy and His Blob meaning I managed the entire production of the game from the developer side of things. It was great fun working with our in-house animation team for the all the fantastic character artwork you see in the game as well as the design team. I didn't work on Shovel Knight as that team (Yacht Club) formed after I left WayForward and retired from the industry, but it was quite a few of the same team that I worked with on A Boy and His Blob. I still keep in touch with them and even made them for fun a mock-up "Shovel Knight for ColecoVision" which we gave to them at Pax last year! =)

post-41816-0-69168600-1440805964.jpg post-41816-0-58664000-1440806210.jpg

I'm assuming the re-release is just a downloadable, but I have no idea since I'm not involved with the re-release in any way other than just to be excited that it exists! :D

• Like 1

Oh, that's sweet you made the post - I saw the game go on the "Upcoming" tab on steam and was wondering if it was new or an older remake. It looks fun and I have it on the wishlist and followed, so this will have to be a game that I grab when it's available.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 2

This looks great. Curious though - why the decision to halve the age of the boy?

I think mainly because a younger child's emotions can be more endearing and conveyed better in animation. Also, the "blob" character is sort of like an imaginary friend or stuffed animal in many ways that a child would carry with him. I think the character resonates better with people being a child instead of more like a pre-teenage boy.

Didn't know that there was a remake of this game on Wii so this is the first I'm seeing it. Great googly moogly, it looks amazing!

Loved the original game and I see it already has a Steam page, so that's where I'll be picking this up.

• Like 2

I'm a fan of the original too, and got the Wii remake when it came out! Good to hear it's being re-released, I believe it'll do very well!

@CTF@

Edited by c_t_f

• 3 weeks later...