IGNORED

Holes in the 7800 library

Inky

Mid to late 80s games like Rampage, Outrun, Double Dragon, Gauntlet were popular during the 7800s years. It would have been reasonable to see ports or ripoffs of those.

Also, Atari sequels to Yars Revenge, Adventure, Swordquest (except actually good).

Films at the time could have 7800 versions. Batman 89, Superman III, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Star Wars trilogy, Terminator, Aliens, Top Gun.

• Like 1

There will be a sequel to Adventure... Right now it's leaning a little more toward Intellivision's Advanced D&D: Cloudy Mountain, but I plan on adding more 'Adventure-isms' to make it more familiar. This one can be two player simultaneous. It's called "Adventure III: The Quest for he Chalice"

• Like 5

There will be a sequel to Adventure... Right now it's leaning a little more toward Intellivision's Advanced D&D: Cloudy Mountain, but I plan on adding more 'Adventure-isms' to make it more familiar. This one can be two player simultaneous. It's called "Adventure III: The Quest for he Chalice"

In my limited exposure to Cloudy Mountain, I really like that game. I am looking forward to your take on it.

Mid to late 80s games like Rampage, Outrun, Double Dragon, Gauntlet were popular during the 7800s years. It would have been reasonable to see ports or ripoffs of those.

Also, Atari sequels to Yars Revenge, Adventure, Swordquest (except actually good).

Films at the time could have 7800 versions. Batman 89, Superman III, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Star Wars trilogy, Terminator, Aliens, Top Gun.

The 7800 has Rampage and Double Dragon already. And, of course, Dark Chambers was based on Dandy, the precursor to Gauntlet.

Totally with you on film-based games. Even though they usually aren't very good, Home Alone for Genesis is one of my all-time favorites.

The 7800 has Rampage and Double Dragon already.

True, but Double Dragon as an arcade port for the 7800 was lacking. I think no one should expecting the game to be 100 percent like the arcade since the Nes and SMS weren't capable of it either, but the 7800 had room for improvement.

This is a game that needed to be the same cartridge size as the SMS version and the NES version aka 256k despite it not going to a perfect port no matter what..

This is a gaming that had music on the wrong levels. The graphics could've been better at the time. The programmers in the past mentioned they had boulders as weapons against the Abobo in stage 3, but they took them out due not being allowed a bigger cartridge size. The programmers even developed the balcony's for the final stage, but it wasn't shown. Even if the boulders were there in stage 3, the game was going to miss weapons found in the arcade. The game also was missing some moves for the arcade also. The 7800 version didn't have enemies die by pits or landing in water like they did in the arcade version. The AI was different from the arcade version also.

The Cartridge size problem with the 7800 was not a limit on the system, but it a was cost issue. There even a even a backswitch 512k with pokey support mention on Dan Borris's Atari 7800 Technical page, but it never was used by Tramiel due to cost. Activision themselves also didn't bother creating a bigger cartridge size.

I know there is a hack for improved graphics and pokey sound added, the author of the hack didn't do anything with adding weapons and had no problems with AI.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I like puzzle games, which are lacking in the A7800 library.

Examples:

X-It

Benefactor

Pipe Mania

Even a good Tetris clone would be nice :)

However, as you all know, there's a great one on the way!!!! http://www.penguinet.net/Games/Rikki_Vikki/

The only thing the 7800 needs in the way of classic arcade puzzlers is POKEY Klax. Such lovely graphics...and such horrible sfx. And add digitized voices too, please!

• Like 2

I know quote a few people feel that there are enough arcade ports on the 7800.

I can only speak for myself, but

The issue for me is that I enjoy doing ports, especially for 'underdog' titles. (On an underdog system). That being said, I do want to get back to "Adventure III: The Race for the Chalice", and "ReZolve"... but "Defender" is in there also.

I'm sorry... The other programmers here (who are MUCH better than I am I should add) seem to enjoy doing more original titles. So hopefully it will all even out.

I am in the boat of new games. However, I do like seeing ports of games I didn't know about. Like Astro Blaster and Baby PM. I am not aware of those or some of the others toy have done being on other systems.

Defender on the other hand had a 2600 port and has been on other systems too. That is why out of the 3 you listed I felt like it was the least interesting.

I am sure that whichever you do it will be great. Maybe do the one you feel like you could get done easier. Especially after Baby Pacman, since it seemed to be a doozy.

Donkey Kong Jr PK :):) :) We've got a PHENOMINAL version of Donkey Kong with DK PK, and although the 7800 version of DK JR is a very good port, it would definitely benefit from Pokey sound and some more options. :)

Would also love to see a port of Prince of Persia on the 7800. I think that would work great (even with TIA sound).

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 4