IGNORED

First generation where you no longer have a home console

MotoRacer

Just a few games pull me into modern gaming. Those being the MasterChief Collection and the Forza series,thats it. And dont get me started on Sony and their PS4 by relying on indies this whole generation,yeesh. Some market leader there. LOL.

Only thing I get excited about is home brew for the 8 bit consoles and maybe a little bit of Mame, thats it.

Once I have my SGM its party time btw. Though I would kill to own Space Patrol for the Intellivision but those Ebay prices are beyond crazy. Thats the stuff that gets me going. Knowing Donkey Kong Arcade,Gradius and Space Patrol,Goonies,Buck Rogers Super Game, are out there either now or soon. And the others that follow it that I want to own and play and play till the cows come home.

To me modern gaming is really at an all time low. Maybe another crash needs to happen to set things right.

Honestly my favorite era was probably the 32 bit one with the Saturn,PSOne,N64,3D0, and Jaguar, Those were amazing days as all companies brought their A game.

Now though? Its this sickening rushed to market games with their "patch this,patch that publisher mentality" + constant focus on online instead of fine tuning a game's single player. Its gotten way out of hand.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 3

I told myself this would be the first gen I'd not own a new console (unless someone gifted one to me), but alas, I own a XBOX ONE (and a Wii U, but I guess you could say that's last gen). I enjoy both systems but admittedly I play actual games on them very infrequently, and I only buy new titles a handful of times a year. I'd probably try to use them more, but I have loads of retro consoles and a couple other hobbies that are also vying for my time, so it's not an "out of spite" kind of thing, although I will say my interest levels in modern stuff is far, far lower than it once was.

Just a few games pull me into modern gaming. Those being the MasterChief Collection and the Forza series,thats it. And dont get me started on Sony and their PS4 by relying on indies this whole generation,yeesh. Some market leader there. LOL.

Only thing I get excited about is home brew for the 8 bit consoles and maybe a little bit of Mame, thats it.

Once I have my SGM its party time btw. Though I would kill to own Space Patrol for the Intellivision but those Ebay prices are beyond crazy. Thats the stuff that gets me going. Knowing Donkey Kong Arcade,Gradius and Space Patrol,Goonies,Buck Rogers Super Game, are out there either now or soon. And the others that follow it that I want to own and play and play till the cows come home.

To me modern gaming is really at an all time low. Maybe another crash needs to happen to set things right.

Honestly my favorite era was probably the 32 bit one with the Saturn,PSOne,N64,3D0, and Jaguar, Those were amazing days as all companies brought their A game.

Now though? Its this sickening rushed to market games with their "patch this,patch that publisher mentality" + constant focus on online instead of fine tuning a game's single player. Its gotten way out of hand.

While not the last generation I played in depth, I would agree that was the last "amazing" generation. And that's not nostalgia, even back in the day, in the moment, that generation was something to behold.

• Like 1

I got the Wii U because it's different, and it's Nintendo I suppose. The last survivor of the 8 bits era, and still the reference in portable real gaming.

But the PS4 and Xbone?

Neh, bleh.

They are cheap (in quality) X86 computers, sold too expensive (a 600€ PC from their launch day was already more powerful than them consoles - and their bloated coffee-making OSes doesn't help much getting more performances out of the hardware.)

They have DLC, updates, patches... Huuuuhh. I get a Steam Machine and I get exactly the same things, with the same issues, but with more performances and upgradable system.

Or your PC and a Steam Link box to your TV.

So, this gen is the first gen I won't get more than one home console.

And if Nintendo goes toward portable-on-TV gaming with the RX, it kinda mean that they will leave the home console market.. and so it's likely that the next gen consoles will just be PCs. And that will be the end of it for me.

Edited by CatPix

I think a lot of what many of you are feeling is probably related to age/getting older, which is probably related to the same phenomena to not "getting" today's music and other current forms of pop culture. I'm fortunate in that I still find tremendous joy in not only the classics, but also all of the new stuff. I hope that never changes.

• Like 1

I feel like it indeed. For me, gaming had never been so enjoyable.

Huge games, lots of indie game with original ideas, mod-friendly games, games on multiples platforms.

What I don't see the point of it having all the issues of computer games, without all of the benefits of a computer game.

I guess that maybe, online gaming might be easier to set up on consoles as all the tools are built in, but you apparently have to pay, and I don't play any online game.

So as far as I'm concerned, the Wii U because it offer an unique experience, but the two others? Gloried PC, with no exclusive games.

I MIGHT have got a PS4 to play Silent Hills, but Konami shat again on us, so I don't need a PS4.

Edited by CatPix

I didn't buy a new console from when the Jaguar came out until I bought the PS2 (after it'd been out for a while). Then I skipped the PS3/XBox360/Wii generation. I do have a PS4 and a Wii U from the current generation though.

No. Not the getting older thing. Because I enjoy new material and rich and complex simulations on the PC. And other games. Modern consoles just don't make the grade these days.

Well, in your case, based on your comments in the forum over time, I'd just say you're extraordinarily grumpy about just about everything, so I'm not surprised you don't like modern consoles. :)

If it weren't for my wife randomly deciding she wanted a Wii, and more recently a Wii U, the last generation I participated in was the PlayStation 2/XBox/GameCube generation. For the most part, I simply haven't cared about new games and consoles for the better part of 10 years.

Even my PC gaming is pretty much just Doom, Doom, and more Doom. Sooooooo many custom .wads and source ports and mods that even after 23-odd years it's infinitely playable. I still went through my Half-Life, Day of Defeat, Quake III: Arena, and Battlefield 1942 (and the great WWI TC Battlefield 1918) phases, though. Which reminds me: I need to play through Black Mesa again. :-D

The pet-peeve of mine I have against the tech industry is that every product is touted to be the end-all be-all, best of the best, the latest and greatest, and you must buy it attitude. I suppose that's true of many industries, but the tech industry screams it loudly, especially mobile services and gaming products.

Back in the day when I first got my Apple II. I don't recall seeing any tv ads, maybe I did but I was too young to remember. Anyhow everything I knew pre-purchase was from brochures and visits to the computer store. Things I had to seek out. No overhyping leading to let-downs.

I can count the games of the current gen that are inspiring to me on the fingers of one hand:

1) uncharted 4

2) no man's sky

3) xenoblade chronicles

4) ni no kuni 2

5) ?

and i still don't have the time nor will to start one of them!!!

I still haven't dropped out of the console market and I started back with the dedicated Pong machines. I went through a time in the 90's where I played a lot of PC games but finally gave up because I couldn't keep up with the upgrade cycle. There seems to be a lot of hate on the internet as if people can only be one or the other. Play whatever makes you happy, you don't need permission to enjoy what you enjoy.

IDK, to me a lot of present gen games look all alike. And yeh the PC upgrade cycle was pretty furious beginning right around the dotcom, MMX, and Voodoo eras. Right around when they started marketing the PC as an entertainment device. Yes. Right around then. And finally coming to a slowdown after AMD burned out, and intel got their quad-core processors going.

And I blame those those fucking graphics cards and glorification of "extreme" overclocking and funky bling-bling cooling systems for adding fuel to the fire. With the PC industry in a long-term downtrend I hope we never have another race like that.

There's so much material out there, past and present, I no longer see myself chasing upgrades like I used to. It's all commodity now. And hardware just a couple of years old works pretty well and can be had at cheaper prices.

• Like 1

IDK, to me a lot of present gen games look all alike. And yeh the PC upgrade cycle was pretty furious beginning right around the dotcom, MMX, and Voodoo eras. Right around when they started marketing the PC as an entertainment device. Yes. Right around then. And finally coming to a slowdown after AMD burned out, and intel got their quad-core processors going.

I'd argue there's more visual diversity than ever, from graphic realism to cartoon-like visuals to purposely pixelated. That's due in part of course to the almost seemingly infinite number of indie games available on just about every possible platform. One "easy" way to make your game stand out is to make it look visually interesting and distinctive.

Most modern console I have is an old Xbox 360 (a release edition, not too shabby that it still works) that I traded my friend a case of beer for about 5 years ago. Currently it does nothing more than play Netflix, I gave the games I owned for it to my brother and a few friends over a year ago.

There is absolutely nothing about modern consoles (or really modern gaming for that matter) that interests me. Besides playing GTA 5 on my PC as a stress-reliever, about 85% of my library are games from pre-2010. In fact the only modern game I have purchased since GTA 5 was American Truck Simulator which I purchased just an hour ago. I find that the overwhelming majority of modern games hold little to no interest for me. Between buggy releases, constant patches, ludicrous amounts of DLC, 30 different methods of freaking DRM, unfinished content, and lazy ports to PC I cannot fathom a single reason why they deserve 80 of my hard-earned dollars (plus whatever stupid amount they demand for DLC down-the-road).

To be honest I find even most indie games frankly nauseating these days. Then again, I tend to find myself in the minority when it comes to games. For instance, I found 'Undertale' boring, ugly (and not classic-game-ugly, just plain old ugly), and entirely too patronizing for its own good to be honest. Then again, no one cares (nor should they care) about what I think so it's merely my opinion.

Mercifully there are services such as Good Old Games, which allow me to harken back to a time when PC reigned supreme and point-and-click adventures ruled the roost.

Mercifully there are services such as Good Old Games, which allow me to harken back to a time when PC reigned supreme and point-and-click adventures ruled the roost.

There are some wonderful modern day adventure games. If you don't like the Telltale Games style, there are several classic-style adventure games that are quite good as well. Broken Age was a particular stand-out in the classic style.

I think there's more good, high quality software out than ever, and certainly more than I have time for.

I also think there's more types of games, for more types of people, than ever before.

So I've not bowed out of consoles yet, but I do wait until well into the cycle to get my consoles...there's no great reason to be the early adopter as other than being in that early "community" (which can be fun) you deal with a lot of issues, and pay a premium for it. I waited for my PS3, I waited for my WiiU. If I get anything of the next gen, and I bet I might, I'll wait for that too.

I always skip a generation where I either get a console (very late in it's lifetime) or just stick with my PC. Originally I planned on skipping for this generation since I can upgrade my PC to handle 1080p graphics (same as PS4), get a Steam Link to play those games in my bedroom and sell off my Xbox 360 and get a used PS3 for watching Blu-Rays. Note: I use my Xbox mostly for streaming videos.

But after seeing how X1's can stream (exclusive) games to PC's, now have backwards compatibility and also play Blu-Rays...I've revised my stance and will add it along side my PC setup. Instead of choosing to play console games upstairs or play PC games downstairs I can now play any type of game no matter where I'm at...

Edit: Since this is posted on the Classic Gaming forum, I also plan on streaming emulated games. :)

Edited by MrMaddog