IGNORED

Do you like the Virtual Boy?

KWKBOX

I don't love or hate it as a system (truthfully I don't have much hands-on experience with it), but it makes me kind of nostalgic about the mid-'90s. Exciting time to be a 10-year-old gamer. :)

As a game platform, it seems like it's one of those things that's probably pretty neat if you can get it cheap, which doesn't happen anymore.

Eh, I mean it's not terrible but it's not great. I own mine and two games (Telroboxer/Mario Tennis) and while it's fun, my only issues are that I can never find a good place to put it and that if I rest the controller on the desk, sometimes the battery pack pops off and I lose my game. Other than that, I think the two games I own are pretty good. It's not my go-to system, but if I have nothing better then I'll play it.

Eh, I mean it's not terrible but it's not great. I own mine and two games (Telroboxer/Mario Tennis) and while it's fun, my only issues are that I can never find a good place to put it and that if I rest the controller on the desk, sometimes the battery pack pops off and I lose my game. Other than that, I think the two games I own are pretty good. It's not my go-to system, but if I have nothing better then I'll play it.

Get Panic Bomber. Wonderful game. Cant wait to play it again with the Pandora.

Never liked one myself, and still don't like it all that much. On the other hand, WHY are most people more ready to forget and forgive NIntendo for this debacle than Sega for the 32X and the poor handling of the Saturn for most of that console's lifespan?

I think it's because Nintendo turned it around, well, enough to get back on their feet and make a profit, with the n64. As much as I love the Saturn and DC, and I really do (my favorites from their respective gens) Sega lost a lot of goodwill after the Sega cd, 32x, game gear, nomad, cdx/xeye, Saturn, dc, etc. it was just flop after flop, and it caused many to move on.

Now today? Most of those Sega systems are a joy to play and even to collect for. The hardware is unique and their libraries are equally as unique as the hardware that run them. I think it's less favoritism and more Nintendo simply pulled up their bootstraps and Sega failed to do so. For most, the Sega cd and 32x is when Sega started to lose their minds and die. The virtual boy was when people saw Nintendo get their head out of their ass and make a more thought out console with the n64, is all....

Outside of rational people like me, there are always fanboys of course. Their rational is easy to predict why they love one thing and hate another. Just ignore them.

Edited by MotoRacer

I love my Virtual Boy so much, I program games for it. My second one I began work on a couple months ago is working great, and my first one (Insecticide) is to go on sale later this year. I have the FlashBoy and it works great. I also have a lot of games for it. I even have Jack bros. but it's the Japanese one so I can't read it. The Virtual Boy does not make my eyes or head hurt. Granted it's a little uncomfortable to use, but not when you're, say, sitting at a table.

I must admit, I'm a VB fan as well... its just misunderstood, like the 5200....

Not quite that misunderstood. 5200 only gave us cramped hand due to non-centering controller but it lasted a while longer than 9 months that VB was made available plus 5200 had 2600 adapter that allowed a few hundred more games on 5200. VB had a bit over a dozen games, gave some people headaches, a bit of a pain to get comfortable, and was quickly canned after only 9 months on the market.

I only wished there were more games out :/ and VB can't play any existing games from other platform because both display was too different to be compatible with existing games that were made for single display in colors.

• Like 1

I liked the red display. Still do in fact. I think it works for many games like teleroboxer, panic bomber or jack brothers that are supposed to be creepy.

And I love the controller. It's actually my favorite Nintendo controller ever made. And I wish it would have been supported more than it was just so the controller could get the recognition it deserves.

That said, it was rushed. The stand was a pre-alpha idea and was meant to be replaced by a headset. But the president at the time ordered the unit to go out as is to compete with Sony and Sega.

That, and that alone really killed it. No, the eye strain press didn't help. No, the red didn't help. But neither killed it, I don't think. I think what did it in was the blockbuster deal. People tried it, and thought the stand was uncomfortable or simply got their jollies from trying it. All those rentals could have been sales. And that was all lost. Those sales would have sold software. Software sales would have given confidence to release more titles. Etc etc.

Blockbuster killed the VB, and I only wish Nintendo sucked it up a bit longer so we could have had a couple more rounds of games to play. They could have released a headset eventually and all would have been well.

• Like 1

atari2600land

I would like to see some gameplay vids of Insecticide!

I followed the development thread and enjoyed the screenshots, but never got to see final gameplay. Do you have a vid to share?

Thanks!

There's a label design contest over at Planet VB, and it ends the last day of March. Then after that it gets released!

• 2 weeks later...

Shoot I always used to lie on on my back and let the thing sit there, with the feet of the stand on your chest/stomach.

Hahaha this is how I play it as well. Looks ridiculous if anybody comes in but at least I don't have to worry about my back.

I like my VB, but I wouldn't be recommend it to others and I don't use it that often. It was enough of a curiosity for me to want one when I found one available. I have to admit some games I find fun could have been done in other consoles without the 3D, though.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

So I spent about two hours with my "new" Virtual Boy last night and I have to say that I love it. I played mostly Red Alarm, and some Mario Tennis. My eyes didn't get tired, and with headphones on in a dark room it was a pretty immersive experience. Red Alarm is a cool wire frame shooter; it seemed like playing a 3D vectrex almost...very cool. Went on ebay today and bought a copy of Wario Land which is supposedly one of the better titles for the system.

Side bonus: Finally have a use for my Wii balance board!

post-38373-0-23554000-1487105256_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I like it, I really enjoyed it, and I wasn't harmed by it's so called eye damaging hell of red on black. The only reason I don't have my original one, or the other 2 I've had since, is I ran out of games to play that didn't cost like $100-1000 each to import so I got bored, it got dusty, then it got me some green for something that wouldn't be a dust bunny farm.

Right now I have been self trolling myself over a local craigslist thing that has been up at least since last summer. There's a total VB setup inside one of those blockbuster cases with 8 games, most/all? have the manuals too. It started out at $400, only down to $325 now. I added it up and there's around $450-550 worth of stuff there if someone were to part it out, sell it and minus the ebay+PP fees. On one hand it's tempting because I know I could mess with a few games I never had, but not so much as I'd get bored again and I really don't care to try and flip it. it just would be nice to finally try out Panic Bomber (only played PCE CD and Neo Geo releases), Waterworld, and Nester's Funky Bowling on it. Problem is all my favorites (Mario Clash, Wario Land, and Red Alarm) are not in the lot. Guy has his phone # listed only, no email or other messaging. I tried to text it but it never reported back so it's a land line. I could call but I don't want to get into some pricing debate so I've left it for someone else to poach and yet it remains...9~ months later it remains.

Perhaps if I could get a VB flash kit I'd change my mind as that would double the system library of games including that cool Street Fighter 2 conversion and the unreleased protos as well would be a blast to take a crack at (along with the $100-1000+ dollar JP titles.)

Travistouchdown there is right, some of the games do feel like a Vectrex experience (Red Alarm in particular) which is a good thing. Damn it's limited library as i'd really love it. All the game downsizing I've done lately I've got the money for such a buy (which is a very rare thing.)

I'm a big fan, imported one back when it was only available in Japan along w/Red Alarm. A lot of people poo poo on Red Alarm but as mentioned it felt like a 3D Vectrex to me. I think almost everything else I picked up back then was on closeout for <$10 new. Still kicking myself for not buying Water World back then since it's expensive now. Mario Tennis, Mario Clash and Wario World are all great games as well. However I can understand people hating it if it gives them headaches. If only I could go back to when Best Buy had stacks and stacks of them on the floor for $19.99...

• Like 1

I like em. At one time I had all USA games CIB, yes even the rare boxed Tennis but I sold them in favor of Flashboy cart. I have a few VB units but only 1 works correctly. Other 2 has issues with LED panel and oven trick no longer works. I may just replace the unreliable glued on cable with something more permanent. Unless Nintendo figures out that 3DS can do 3D and should be able to play all of VB games in true 3D view, and get around to releasing all of the ROMs. Love to play Nester's Funky Bowling (the cute cut scene) and Galactic Pinball. Wario Land is also challenging side scroller with 2 "layers" (front and back) that most side scroller never offered.

Before anyone asked, it is red because back in mid 90s, red and green were the only cheap available LED. Blue were still rare and expensive to produce and wouldn't have been practical to get full color LED for a few more years. I doubt red-yellow-green-black color would have been better than just red and black view.