IGNORED

Finally tested my Commodore 128's

simbalion

After having these units for about three years, I figured it was time to check them out since I was snowed in this morning and couldn't get to work. The results? Both of my Commodore 128 units seem to work ok and I even have a spare, working power supply. I also have an AV cable for the earlier unit (built 8/85 on the tag), but no monitor to hook it into. The only issue I noticed was that the RF connections were pretty noisy when I first started out and cracking open the one unit (1986 unit uses torx heads grrrrr!) and working the on adjustment on the internal RF box made no difference. But, the more I am using the one unit, the quieter it has become on the sound. Tried a couple game cartridges and those look really good, even through the RF box on the older unit. Haven't tried them on the second one yet. I am basically impressed. Both of these units I got for free, the boxes are basically toast, one was in a damp basement, and the spare power supply was super filthy, but they all seem to work. I have a practically new 1571 disk drive I finally got working a month ago, so this might not be a bad set-up. Now, how reliable are the C128 power supplies? I have read they were designed to be more reliable than the C64 units and I must admit, they feel of better quality. An easy to access fuse, vents for heat, and they appear to be able to be taken apart and serviced if need be.

• Like 1

simbalion wrote:

> Now, how reliable are the C128 power supplies? I have read they were designed to be more reliable than the C64 units and I must admit, they

> feel of better quality. An easy to access fuse, vents for heat, and they appear to be able to be taken apart and serviced if need be.

Because they are switching power supplies, they are much more reliable than C64 brick p.s.'s.

For all the reasons you mentioned,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm