IGNORED

Atari A8 Donkey Kong Hack

That's what the 8-bit manual calls them, so that's what I call them. If it was good enough for Atari then it's good enough for me: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-donkey-kong_1673.html

Otherwise, what DO you call them? They're fire-foxes and fire-balls, it's either Firefoxes or Foxballs, and I don't think you want me calling them that. :D

loool, yes foxballs...that's perfect!

Hi

darryl1970

I've been following your updates to these classic games and loving it. Just wanna say thanks for you work and effort in this.

I wanted to mention a couple of small tweaks that might make it more in line with the arcade that I noticed comparing screens.

• On the rivets screen I noticed that the arcade original has ladders from the top down in patterns 4,3,4,3 and the a8 in patterns 4,4,3,4.
  • On the cement factory in the arcade, there aren't end caps to the conveyors on the 4th level. Where as, they were placed there in the a8 version. Also, there is a matrix under the oil can.

Pardon me if someone has already mentioned this in previous posts. So much to read.

Thanks for the great job!

• Like 1

Hi

darryl1970

I've been following your updates to these classic games and loving it. Just wanna say thanks for you work and effort in this.

Thanks!

I wanted to mention a couple of small tweaks that might make it more in line with the arcade that I noticed comparing screens.

• On the rivets screen I noticed that the arcade original has ladders from the top down in patterns 4,3,4,3 and the a8 in patterns 4,4,3,4.

This bothered me too, but I am more of the drawing guy. Playsoft has extracted the graphics, made it possible for me to redraw the graphics & sprites. He has since created the magic interrupts to get the white in Kong's mouth and eys, multi-color prizes. I asked him how hard it would be to put the rivets in the right order. Coincidentally with your question, this was in my inbox when I logged on today.

post-13491-0-35724000-1458442152_thumb.png

• On the cement factory in the arcade, there aren't end caps to the conveyors on the 4th level. Where as, they were placed there in the a8 version. Also, there is a matrix under the oil can.

Nobody has mentioned the end caps, nor the matrix under the Conveyor Oil. I would think that replacing those caps with the regular floor wouldn't be a huge deal. Since they aren't animated, I don't think I paid much attention to them.

As far as the matrix though, I think it's better without the matrix, unless somebody rewrites the sprite engine. If you notice the rivets image above, the firefox that is overlapping a ladder is a little distored, because of the and/or software sprites. If there was a matrix along that entire floor, I think the fireballs would look terrible in that area. Since a couple sometimes linger there, it might get ugly. That's just my thought.

I think the thing that makes this fun is trying to make the game as close to arcade "perfect", while taking the system limitations into consideration. I have been looking at this version so much lately, I looked at the arcade tonight and thought, "Wow, Kong's eyes are close together!", because I am getting used to the lower res on the A8.

Pardon me if someone has already mentioned this in previous posts. So much to read.

No problem. I don't think they had been mentioned. Good atention to detail. I know how that is about trying to find something in a long thread..

Thanks for the great job!

Thanks. I am glad you like the changes. I have always wanted to tweak DK, because it's a personal favorite. It's even more satisfying if others get some enjoyment out of it.

VERSION 6.7E

DKArcadeXL.xex -- Original Base

DKArcadeXL(RMT).xex -- RMT Base

DKArcade5200.bin -- 5200 conversion base.

• Like 8

Thank you darryl1970 !

It is truly amazing to play the original cartridge version back to back with your enhanced version. One, you realize that what you thought was pretty terrific in 1983(?), now looks a little blocky and unpolished when you campare the two. Second, you realize the potential the machine always possessed, but wasn't utilized so it could fit on a 16K cartridge. Makes sense, you didn't want a hit game that all your 16K 400's couldn't play. Things on AA can get a little static, nothing much going on, but then these little gems pop up and I find myself logging in more often to track the progress. Very well done!!

Edited by ACML

VERSION 6.7E

attachicon.gifDKArcadeXL.xex -- Original Base

attachicon.gifDKArcadeXL(RMT).xex -- RMT Base

attachicon.gifDKArcade5200.bin -- 5200 conversion base.

Thanks playsoft for the reconfigured ladders on the rivets screen. Another unexpected, but amazing surprise! :)

I agree, the matrix would probably make it a little murky with the xor sprites. Although when it only happens briefly, like when they come down ladders it is ok. It's part of the charm of the A8.

But making the endcaps match the arcade would be harmless enough if it could be implemented. I never really noticed it until Mark mentioned it.

Playing on my VBXE equipped 800XL changed the blue to green on the spring screen. Since I also got game over on this level, I watched when it went back to the main menu and the blue was still green.

Starting a new screen reset the correct numbers.

P.s. The scared "Fireballs" are great!!

1ce920bed0f4d90f4a7da82cc0f155f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing on my VBXE equipped 800XL changed the blue to green on the spring screen. Since I also got game over on this level, I watched when it went back to the main menu and the blue was still green.

Is mario really that pale on the vbxe or is it just the angle of the picture?

I also noticed that the title screen takes on the last color. I didn't worry about it too much, because it resets during the game screens.Leave it idle for too long, and it turns all different colors.. lol. :)

Is mario really that pale on the vbxe or is it just the angle of the picture?

That screenshot is really sharp! I don't think he is THAT pale, but he is more white than I'd prefer. I figure the ColecoVision only had WHITE for his skin tone, and CV didn't have multi-colored objects and enemies.

Are you using colour 10 for those blue things? On PAL colour 10 will be bluish green as opposed to greenish blue on NTSC.

Not 100% sure but I think VBXE uses the same palette regardless of what machine you run it in, which would mean closer to Pal than Ntsc.

Yeah I was thinking in that but I don't know how VBXE works regarding tv modes.

Usually the simple way to know PAL->NTSC is to add 1 to the colour/hue but even if this he wouldn't get that:

Game uses PAL colour 8 blue that it would be NTSC 9 still a blue but what he seems to get is colour 10 green and the game doesn't use PAL colour 9.

Yes, it is very sharp. Well I really meant washed out when I said pale, but I was trying to be tactful :)

All the mario colors are so light, but I wasn't sure if it was just the angle of the screen. I haven't tried on real hardware yet.

No.. I get you. That is why I didn't point it out at first. I wanted to see how noticeable it was, as it is the cost of multi-color prizes.

However, there are still tweaks.

This is SO minor, but brightening Mario's red by one register causes his red to "POP" a little, and I think his face inherits it. I have tried crazy combos, and this is the closest, since I am working with an "and" color.

I may revisit it from time to time, but this is where I am at right now for next release. I'll give it some time, as I am tired and want to see with fresh eyes.

post-13491-0-27616700-1458522518_thumb.png

• Like 1

Are you using colour 10 for those blue things? On PAL colour 10 will be bluish green as opposed to greenish blue on NTSC.

Not 100% sure but I think VBXE uses the same palette regardless of what machine you run it in, which would mean closer to Pal than Ntsc.

Playsoft has edited the most recent version to allow for PAL colors.

I have not had time to do much of anything. I will probably have to sit with Altirra in PAL mode when time allows. :)

And isn't that also too much red, a real red?

I can't run the file(s) now but from what I remember from yesterday is that it was PF0 in luminance 4, originally I think it was colour 2 but latest turned into colour 3?

Could it be to bright, a luminance 4? And VBXE has pure red that original A8 haven't?

It seems for me that other than he's strange in get the green instead of a blue colour he also get too brightest luminances, perhaps 1 value down of what it should be (indeed 2values as it's only even values in steps of 2 for none GTIA modes).

Darryl no need to run anything because just by looking to your last picture explains all ;), you guys changed from PF0 colour 8 to 9 so he and all NTSC guys get that green that is PAL colour 10.

Please return to original colour 8 that is fine for PAL and NTSC guys will get similar to your last picture.

Although the best for the two without a need to create separate versions is you try using colour 7 (PAL) that will be still blue in NTSC (same blue as PAL colour 8 original one).

:)

Edited by José Pereira

The RMT version of 6.7e still has the red shadow beside Mario of the double width player.

So the regular version is ok for you now? I didn't check whether the RMT version had the same issue.

The original xex files I used came from Atarionline:

http://atarionline.pl/arch/D/Donkey%20Kong/Donkey%20Kong%20%281983%29%28Atari%29%28US%29.xex

http://atarionline.pl/arch/D/Donkey%20Kong/Donkey%20Kong%20%282010%29%28Atari%29%28US%29%5Bh%20RMT%20Fandal%20%26%20Kjmann%5D.xex

Ideally programs should initialise all the hardware registers... but neither of these do and I'd imagine there will be others which don't either. In this case I can "fix" them when I do the other hacks but if you encounter any other programs that don't run correctly you should try and load them differently if you can (other loaders may clear the h/w down).

Darryl no need to run anything because just by looking to your last picture explains all ;), you guys changed from PF0 colour 8 to 9 so he and all NTSC guys get that green that is PAL colour 10.

Please return to original colour 8 that is fine for PAL and NTSC guys will get similar to your last picture.

Although the best for the two without a need to create separate versions is you try using colour 7 (PAL) that will be still blue in NTSC (same blue as PAL colour 8 original one).

:)

The version that I currently have (should be the same I posted earlier) uses 8 as the color (8A, actually, except for the Elevators. The oil can and darker girder color do not look right with a dark blue-green, but I think it works with the lighter, to be more arcade-accurate. I think the elevators look pretty decent, and it changes up the feel. The Rivets definitely need more blue, which is why I did settle on various brightness of color 8 for the rest of the levels.

I created an example below, using AA as the color, to match the arcade. If Color 9 looks like A on PAL, it is actually more arcade accurate. I would like to experiment a little with more arcade close colors. See below.

The arcade actually uses more of a blue green for the ladders..

Arcade EXAMPLE: AA as the "BlueGreen" Current 8A Color

post-13491-0-47041700-1458582213_thumb.png post-13491-0-03658700-1458581946_thumb.png post-13491-0-52510500-1458582491_thumb.png

I have been using color "A8" on the Elevator screen, because I thought it was a nice change-up.

post-13491-0-64595200-1458583194_thumb.png

I tried the blue-green before, but I used too dark of a shade. Here is a version that detects NTSC or PAL, and should adjust accordingly.

I tweaked the NTSC to be AA, and the PAL should be 9A. Should these be "equal"?

I know the original Dark Red and Dark Blue-Green looked bad, but how does this brighter shade look on different screens?

If anybody has a PAL screenshot of this, I'd like to use it as a measure of how "off" my screen is.

DK(BlueGreen).xex

Thanks.