IGNORED

Atari A8 Donkey Kong Hack

Come on guys we are on 21st century, create another story:

-> MARIO BROS.: The two cooperate and battle to defeat Kong.

-> DONKEY KONG: Play Luigi instead of Mario and the story is to rescue Mario's girlfriend just and only to help and he likes his brother, really and only for helping ;) [or] rescue Mario's girl (possible take her of his brother :grin:)) [or] she is, indeed, his/Luigi's girlfriend.

-> DONKEY KONG JNR.: Revenge of Kong.

This way, Luigi uses green (instead of Mario's red) and blue that the Oring will be light brown for the skin colour: something like (BA)+(76)=(FE).

See? I'm a genious! There's nothing on A8 that I can't solve and colour!...

:grin:

Edited by José Pereira

Come on guys we are on 21st century, create another story:

-> MARIO BROS.: The two cooperate and battle to defeat Kong.

-> DONKEY KONG: Play Luigi instead of Mario and the story is to rescue Mario's girlfriend just and only to help and he likes his brother, really and only for helping ;) [or] rescue Mario's girl (possible take her of his brother :grin:)) [or] is indeed his girlfriend.

-> DONKEY KONG JNR.: Revenge of Kong.

This way, Luigi uses green (instead of Mario's red) and blue that the Oring will be light brown for the skin colour: something like (BA)+(76)=(FE).

See? I'm a genious! There's nothing on A8 that I can't solve and colour!...

:grin:

I got excited and missed something. Check this edit.

Actually, I read your previous deleted thread, and it encouraged me to play.. I think you may have something. Don't know how I missed it.

My thought has been that I can live with "white", because the overall package is light-years better than Coleco -- And Mario was WHITE!

I tried the Luigi for fun...

post-13491-0-69845600-1459436273_thumb.png

... but not a fan. Looks good, but not the right guy.... Plus, he may have liver failure.. :)

3A 74, instead of 36 74

This might not be bad at all. Mario has a more fleshy tone, and he seems red and blue (pink-ish).

So, he may wield a pink hammer, but oh well.

3A 74 38 74 (Current) Slightly darker red. Barely noticeable, but flesh is darker, allowing more blue -- maybe..?

post-13491-0-77707200-1459436354_thumb.png post-13491-0-42676400-1459437143_thumb.png

Edited by darryl1970

I got excited and missed something. Check this edit.

Actually, I read your previous deleted thread, and it encouraged me to play.. I think you may have something. Don't know how I missed it.

My thought has been that I can live with "white", because the overall package is light-years better than Coleco -- And Mario was WHITE! (On Coleco)

I tried the Luigi for fun...

post-13491-0-68971300-1459437336_thumb.png

... but not a fan. Looks good, but not the right guy.... Plus, he may have liver failure.. :)

3A 74 (New), instead of 38 74 (Previous)

This might not be bad at all. Mario has a more fleshy tone, and he seems red and blue (pink-ish).

So, he may wield a pink hammer, but oh well.

3A 74 38 74 (Current) Slightly darker red. Barely noticeable, but flesh is darker, allowing more blue -- maybe..?

post-13491-0-66621800-1459437346_thumb.png post-13491-0-45796500-1459437341_thumb.png

Bumping this edit, because others have posted since. Don't want it to get missed.

Edited by darryl1970

It's true that the original version had more of a flesh color, because Mario was originally made up of 3 players.

The Atari Player/Missiles have a mode where P1 and P2 produce a 3rd color by overlapping pixels the players.

The downside is that the third color is not select-able, but is a result of the two main colors.

Red and Blue just happen to overlap to make a white color, but only at specific brightness levels.

This was necessary to make the mult-colored "prizes" that Pauline dropped. I think that really adds to the polish.

Here are some examples of the limitations. Keep in mind, just because it looks good on here, doesn't mean it looks good in the actual game.

Some colors make a better flesh, but wash Mario out.

I have gone through so many combinations, and I keep finding my way back to the same one.

Here is a rough example. Keep in mind that a combination might look good on here, but may clash in the context of the full game.

attachicon.gifAlternateMarios.png

Some of the "other alt" versions remind me of the NES SMB Mario.

They look good for a minute, but then when I change back to blue and red, I find myself saying, "Ahh.. Much better", in my head.

MY PERSONAL opinion: All the other alt Marios looks better than the smurf one. :grin: That blue face is very irritating to me. I have always in mind: 'why to hell is the face blue? there's a lot of flesh-color in any other part of the screen so why not in marios face?' ;-)

But I am still happy with the MOD as it is. You're the MOD-MAN. :thumbsup:

Edited by MARIO130XE

MY PERSONAL opinion: All the other alt Marios looks better than the smurf one. :grin: That blue face is very irritating to me. I have always in mind: 'why to hell is the face blue? there's a lot of flesh-color in any other part of the screen so why not in marios face?' ;-)

But I am still happy with the MOD as it is. You're the MOD-MAN. :thumbsup:

I just brightened up the red, so Mario has lost the blue in his face.

"there's a lot of flesh-color in any other part of the screen so why not in marios face?"

-- The players are completely independent of the screen colors. It doesn't matter if it exists. It matters if the two colors for Mario result in a good third color.

post-13491-0-35242400-1459554772_thumb.png

I think the one I have now should work, without resorting to Luigi.

First, he was blue and red JUMPMAN. Luigi didn't exist yet.

HOWEVER, using Luigi colors results in Mario swinging a GREEN hammer. Plus, I can assure you he'll look a little wild on a PAL system.

post-13491-0-70533800-1459554744_thumb.png

The 5200 V7 seems to be the standard 5200 version??

sTeVE

Nobody has converted the RMT version to the 5200. Kind of bums me out too.

Playsoft took the three base versions (Standard, RMT, and 5200 conversion), and he inject graphics and code into them where he found room.

He didn't convert anything.

I'd like to have the RMT for my 5200 also!

If somebody can do that, I can share what I have.

Sorry. I deleted it but please consider the post now.

The idea is that turn to greenish Luigi you can get the light brown colour F for the skin.

And it will also make a great difference because there isn't greens in any of the game levels screens.

:)

See above. Luigi colors won't work, but you did inspire me to find a red/blue combo that results in flesh. Thanks!

Edit: I just tried this on my actual 800XL (NTSC), and Mario just looked kind of washed out to me.

Let me know what others experience. I am going to keep tweaking colors, but not tonight.

Donkey Kong Hack V 6.8

Here are the updated colors.:

post-13491-0-92746400-1459555428_thumb.png post-13491-0-48652900-1459555455_thumb.png

post-13491-0-36255800-1459555433_thumb.png post-13491-0-23771700-1459555438_thumb.png

post-13491-0-81990400-1459555421_thumb.png

DonkeyKongArcade_XL_V6.8.xex

DonkeyKongArcade_RMT_6.8.xex

DonkeyKong5200_6.8.bin

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 2

Update 7.2

I have spent Monday and Tuesday evening tweaking colors. (The umbrella is a little nicer now too.)

I did not see the blue faced Mario, until I tried the 5200 version. My 5200 colors are different from my A8.

When I compared results with Playsoft, back with DK Jr and Popeye, we were getting similar results.

So, this version attempts to create NTSC and PAL colors that are very similar.

In addition, I am trying to find the right combination for the 5200, which gets more complicated.

The 5200 tweaks also require me to run down to the basement to verify my results.

The A8s have two versions, standard and (alt). Standard attempts to keep the blue, with a white Mario face. (ALT) is a flesh-like face and more faded "blue".

Blue - White face Mario (I do not see any blue)

DonkeyKongArcade_XL_v7.2.xex

DonkeyKongArcade_RMT_v7.2.xex

Blue/Grey - fleshy face Mario

DonkeyKongArcade_XL_v7.2(alt).xex

DonkeyKongArcade_RMT_v7.2(alt).xex

5200 I do not have time to test these on the actual hardware. I may have tweaked these the wrong direction.

DonkeyKong5200_v7.2(alt-blue).bin -- Retains the Blue in Mario and uses the tweaked colors on screen

DonkeyKong5200_v7.2(alt-alt).bin -- Blue/Grey Mario, with tweaked screen colors

DonkeyKong5200_v7.2(NTSC-alt).bin -- Blue/Grey Mario with standard NTSC colors

Enjoy....

• Like 6

Love the Mario colors in 7.2 (alt) versions - but on both PAL and NTSC systems I have the play field colours are odd - the blues are not blue, but very green...

But on the non alt versions the play field is great - so I vote PF colours from regular 7.2 and Mario colours from alt version!

sTeVE

Love the Mario colors in 7.2 (alt) versions - but on both PAL and NTSC systems I have the play field colours are odd - the blues are not blue, but very green...

But on the non alt versions the play field is great - so I vote PF colours from regular 7.2 and Mario colours from alt version!

sTeVE

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure if you're using the 5200 or A8 version. The 5200 might have odd playfield colors, because they are different than the A8.

If you are using the A8 version, look back over some of the comparisons. The arcade doesn't have powder blue ladders, like the A8 original.

The arcade has blue-green ladders; so a blue green ladder color is actually correct.

The (alt) Mario is actually RED and GREY. However, it kind of gives the appearance of a light blue.

As much as I PREFER a darker blue on Mario, I do like that the darker red, allowed by the grey, keeps the hammer the same color. Also, his face has more of a yellow tone to it.

I am truly in awe. Holy crap! I saw the 7.2 rev, and hadn't seen the previous revisions.

So far, I like the blue mario, it looks more correct.. the alt makes Mario look like he's a bit older... ;)

(I do have to say, that Donkey Kong's plummeting on the rivet stage is fucking disturbing, but...) ;)

-Thom

• Like 1