IGNORED

Lynx Multi Card Preorders

SainT

Just done a couple more tiny mods - now Retro HQ branded, with some code in place for an icon for the game displayed, but I need to work out the best format for the icons yet.

v1.2 Source - https://www.dropbox.com/s/48ky3ibhjysca6o/menu12-src.zip?dl=0

v1.2 Menu file to copy to your SD card root (backup your old one first). https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxdmmfa84npean9/menu.bin?dl=0

When I get more time I will take another look at the icon stuff, I think it would be cool to see a small thumbnail of the game selected (albeit pretty squashed and pixely I think).

I will add the video link here in a bit.

Here's a short video showing the changes. Forgot to mention the flip option as well (again).

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 5

Just done a couple more tiny mods - now Retro HQ branded, with some code in place for an icon for the game displayed, but I need to work out the best format for the icons yet.

v1.2 Source - https://www.dropbox.com/s/48ky3ibhjysca6o/menu12-src.zip?dl=0

v1.2 Menu file to copy to your SD card root (backup your old one first). https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxdmmfa84npean9/menu.bin?dl=0

When I get more time I will take another look at the icon stuff, I think it would be cool to see a small thumbnail of the game selected (albeit pretty squashed and pixely I think).

I will add the video link here in a bit.

Here's a short video showing the changes. Forgot to mention the flip option as well (again).

Very nice, thanks Gadget. I was thinking of writing a tool for converting LNX into some other new format (LSD or whatever) which would include the game image and full name / manufacturer for use on the menu. Also I saw the System folder in there -- that was one thing I was going to add, just something to ignore the system folders by checking the file attribute bits.

Fantastic stuff, so glad to see people hacking around with this already. :)

• Like 2

Very nice, thanks Gadget. I was thinking of writing a tool for converting LNX into some other new format (LSD or whatever) which would include the game image and full name / manufacturer for use on the menu. Also I saw the System folder in there -- that was one thing I was going to add, just something to ignore the system folders by checking the file attribute bits.

Fantastic stuff, so glad to see people hacking around with this already. :)

Yeah, I wonder if maybe the .LNX is OK as is, but just add a support file - something like you've suggested, a .LSD - which just contains the manfufacturer, size info maybe, and the icon or something? Just because from experience its a pain having to format files a certain way to get them onto a device, rather than just copy the files there. And if the .LSD is missing, the file still works and is listed - just the additional info not there etc.

I think some image file format is needed though because I played around with 4bpp bitmaps earlier and they are doing my head in - it seems like RLE is used regardless. So if you compile a bitmap produce by gimp to produce an unpacked image then the .o output seems to be usable and not containing any form of RLE compression. This doesn't help because I don't want to have to compile images into the menu, they need to be standalone files a user can just stick on the SD card. But the raw bitmaps output out of gimp seem to have RLE in there I think, the file size doesn't reflect the width x height x bpp + header. Maybe I just need to look at it again with fresh eyes when not so tired =/

That retro HQ logo in the menu sounds pretty cool,but i will say don't bother with the menu because we don't want to get thinks screwed up,my main idea is just to focus on that annoying bug wich crashes the system, once you first load & select an incorrect file and then selected a correct file to load in,while it still say's loading but in reality it's just hanging,meaning you have to turn off the lynx first,turn it on again, reselect the supported rom you want to play, and there you go,that bug must be fixed because it's so decievving and annoying.

I saw that bug in the video.

The idea of view an specific image for each game sounds cool and modern,but it's gonne be very challlanging concidering converting each image into a low-res 4bit sprite file while preserving as much quality as possible,if see if they will accomplished that but again that mean each game gots to be converted into another format with those added content, that can take forever,pffff,good luck.

But to me,let's first things first,let us(including me) first get our hands on the lynx sd xard to be used and satisfied with it,and then we can alway's decide to upgrade,i don't care that much about it,except that freaking annoying bug.

'llo here

Hey SainT, i'm in your preorder list (maybe 'round 100th or so) so i have time but, will you ask for cased/uncased order by mail before shipment ?

As i would prefer to have mine uncased with its case aside.

Please let me know, and congrat' for this project !

Please add me to the pre order list. I have a lynx 1. I am aware I can't order the cover version as it won't fit. Any rough eta and also when do I pay for it. I live in Connecticut in the USA. Great job on this project! I know I will have to wait a while to get one. Good things come to those who wait. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I wonder if maybe the .LNX is OK as is, but just add a support file - something like you've suggested, a .LSD - which just contains the manfufacturer, size info maybe, and the icon or something? Just because from experience its a pain having to format files a certain way to get them onto a device, rather than just copy the files there. And if the .LSD is missing, the file still works and is listed - just the additional info not there etc.

I think some image file format is needed though because I played around with 4bpp bitmaps earlier and they are doing my head in - it seems like RLE is used regardless. So if you compile a bitmap produce by gimp to produce an unpacked image then the .o output seems to be usable and not containing any form of RLE compression. This doesn't help because I don't want to have to compile images into the menu, they need to be standalone files a user can just stick on the SD card. But the raw bitmaps output out of gimp seem to have RLE in there I think, the file size doesn't reflect the width x height x bpp + header. Maybe I just need to look at it again with fresh eyes when not so tired =/

Yep, could certainly go the additional file route. I know there's game name and manufacturer space int he LNX header, although with a lot of the ROMs I've seen, they are not set correctly. So in theory just an additional image file would do the job. It shouldn't take long to knock up a BMP->4BPP image converter suitable for loading directly up on the Lynx.

I will have a look into all of this when I've managed to get through a good chunk of the pre-orders, if you haven't got there first. ;) Thanks again for your work on this. All community support much appreciated! :)

• Like 1

i will say don't bother with the menu because we don't want to get thinks screwed up,my main idea is just to focus on that annoying bug wich crashes the system, once you first load & select an incorrect file and then selected a correct file to load in,while it still say's loading but in reality it's just hanging,meaning you have to turn off the lynx first,turn it on again, reselect the supported rom you want to play, and there you go,that bug must be fixed because it's so decievving and annoying.

Yeah, this happens very rarely and only on ROM images with bad headers (that I have seen). Its something I need to address, however its far from a big issue unless you're a homebrew addict. :)

This is another thing which will be addressed when I've got through a good chunk of the pre-orders as its not a "show-stopper" bug as we call them. It's probably about a B. ;)

• Like 1

'llo here

Hey SainT, i'm in your preorder list (maybe 'round 100th or so) so i have time but, will you ask for cased/uncased order by mail before shipment ?

As i would prefer to have mine uncased with its case aside.

Please let me know, and congrat' for this project !

Yep, I will confirm with you what it is you want when I get to you on the list. At the moment its hard to say how long its going to take! I'd like to think I'll get through 20+ a week at least. I'll speed up a bit as I get the hang of things. :)

However there may be a bit of a delay while getting in the next batch of PCB's as I have to now build up enough capital to be able to re-order. So it just depends on the lead time vs. remaining stock.

This hobby as gotten slightly out of hand. ;)

• Like 2

The first post has also been updated with a photo showing the cased and uncased carts side by side for comparison so you know what you're ordering. :) I'll get some of the uncased carts out to the lovely YouTube folks shortly so they can give a good overview of them. I'm not the most handy person with a video camera, although I've been meaning to give it a go since I got the kids a quite nice video camera for xmas.

Like many carts in the Lynx 1, it can be a bit of a bugger to remove it. But in theory, you will never have to.... :D

• Like 1