IGNORED

Rebooteroids - Public Testing Phase (And user created level submission)

CyranoJ

Oooh 3 in a row! Must. Not. KLAX. Myself!

Pushed this back to a real board tonight with a 2k eeprom and noticed that the eeprom erase code and the scores were not saving correctly.

Turns out I made a rookie error and hadn't used 16 bit addressing for the scores (But I had for the config data! Go figure!) - anyway, I've also fixed that as well so that'll be in the next build as well. Also added "RESET EEPROM" to the menu as an option.

• Like 4

I'd missed playing a couple builds due to time constraints but can say from a pov from before the level # being added on screen, the indicator showing where the ship will appear and the ship flying up toward the camera at the completion of a level, that the changes so far are excellent and welcome. I haven't explored the more intricate process of playing for score or camping for UFOs bc I never would've done that but I'm certain they've enhanced the gameplay for many as well. When I hit the power button, it's a frantic dash for the highest level I can get to as quickly as I can make happen-all while attempting different ideas to get an infinite lives code. (score being a theory also but since I already surpassed 1,500,000 through various means, I'm moving on to other possibilities)

Looking forward to the next build and final release :cool: :cool: :cool:

Non-critical questions:

Any chance of a gameplay demo attract mode?

Any cool art to add to the zip file for selection screen in VJ?

When I hit the power button, it's a frantic dash for the highest level I can get to as quickly as I can make happen-all while attempting different ideas to get an infinite lives code. (score being a theory also but since I already surpassed 1,500,000 through various means, I'm moving on to other possibilities

1.5 million !! Are you playing from start with normal # of lives? Or using a cheat code? Even with infinite lives, that's impressive. Your eyes must be falling out by the end of the game

Yes, I was totally cheating. No way I could get that score on my own lol.

Was hoping a high score would give a code to unlock infinite lives but it didn't happen. Ran through the game twice that day and killed myself on the opening wave the 3rd time to check.

Not sure how to find cheats yet.

Just played the release candidate on chips/board. SO IMPRESSED! Just amazing. I was supposed to go back in the house and kept playing to see the levels. Kudos to CJ and everyone who worked on this. Just awesome.

Was a little disappointed the scores did not save, but I see that that is a bug in this release, so cool. HOWEVER, the qCode thing? GENIUS! Made the top 10!

The only thing I might ask for, even though we are to release candidates now is maybe the player could get a bonus for choosing higher levels to start with a la Tempest/Roadblasters? I know, I am way late in getting to testing it, but MAN SIGN ME UP FOR THE RELEASE! I think I am just going to give these out as christmas gifts to people who would appreciate it!

-M

With this I'm taking the opportunity to thank Kentaro Fukuchi for providing his QR library for free (https://fukuchi.org/works/qrencode/index.html.en) - after many many false starts his library was so easy to compile and interface that I almost cried when it worked!

here's what he replied when I asked him for permission to use it:

Thank you for your letter. I had checked the subject twice, and now I checked it again. ATARI Jaguar?! Dude, you made my day so happy ;)
  • Like 11

Score is from start to level 55

Nice pacing of the game. Ramp up, then slow down. Ramp up even harder, then slow down. Very nice.

Game jumps in difficulty at level 50. Seems like everything moves faster and rocks travel at 90 degree angles. Devious having stars that take many, many hits to kill.

Like the way the music also ramps up and down.

Smoothness of game is very impressive. Is it 30 fps or more?

Everything is just nicely done.

post-5453-0-12653900-1467684040_thumb.jpg

Score is from start to level 55

Nice pacing of the game. Ramp up, then slow down. Ramp up even harder, then slow down. Very nice.

Game jumps in difficulty at level 50. Seems like everything moves faster and rocks travel at 90 degree angles. Devious having stars that take many, many hits to kill.

Like the way the music also ramps up and down.

Smoothness of game is very impressive. Is it 30 fps or more?

Everything is just nicely done.

The game is locked to 50fps (PAL) or 60fps (NTSC) and doesn't drop frames at all. The movements are all fractional so that it plays the same speed on either system.

• Like 2

CJ, with you knowing the patterns of everything, how do you do when you play the game?

On the latest build I got up to L48 with around 300k score (I can't remember!)

But the scoreboard needs to be reset soon anyway, with the multipliers and tweaks a lot of the older scores are now invalid. When this goes to final I will change the encryption key that generates the code so none of the beta builds will be able to submit scores.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Won't be getting this game!

Machine gun firing??? Really??? Where's the challenge???

The challenge is figuring out why people would make such comments on a game they've obviously never played.

• Like 3