IGNORED

Fixing the Tempest proto

CDS Games

Just stumbled upon this thread. Can't wait to see this completed. I loved the 5200 release which I picked up as soon as it went on sale. I'd do the same for this version as well!

Any further progress since December?

I also stumbled onto it, as I also own the 5200 Tempest and have seen the protos for this well-done cart, yes, while it took more than the onboard 4K (like Pac-Man 4K did) to get it done, I have already acquired a DEAD-STOCK (brand new in box, only taken out for photos) 2600 Jr. with the short rainbow on eBay and plan to get it a/v-modded as soon as I get it, but will the ROM work with Harmony, as I plan to get either the SD or micro SD version of it and fill it up with some of my faves from the good-old days. But it was THIS version of Tempest that convinced me to get the NOS 2600 Jr. I also saved this thread in my bookmarks under "Atari Forums Sites".

Now, can someone do a 2600 version of Donkey Kong (and Donkey Kong Jr.) that is far superior, and is no more than 4K, to the one that Coleco butchered (a tactic Coleco used which is well know to us Atarians to lure us to get a ColecoVision).

I also stumbled onto it, as I also own the 5200 Tempest and have seen the protos for this well-done cart, yes, while it took more than the onboard 4K (like Pac-Man 4K did) to get it done, I have already acquired a DEAD-STOCK (brand new in box, only taken out for photos) 2600 Jr. with the short rainbow on eBay and plan to get it a/v-modded as soon as I get it, but will the ROM work with Harmony, as I plan to get either the SD or micro SD version of it and fill it up with some of my faves from the good-old days. But it was THIS version of Tempest that convinced me to get the NOS 2600 Jr. I also saved this thread in my bookmarks under "Atari Forums Sites".

Now, can someone do a 2600 version of Donkey Kong (and Donkey Kong Jr.) that is far superior, and is no more than 4K, to the one that Coleco butchered (a tactic Coleco used which is well know to us Atarians to lure us to get a ColecoVision).

DK has been redone a couple of times.

DK VCS

and

DK 2600

• Like 2

Use the link in my signature if your looking for any Atari VCS/2600 homebrews, hacks, etc.

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply, I've been super busy with work lately.

I haven't made any progress on this since my last post, and I'd definitely love to get back to it at some point, time permitting. Usually wintertime is better for Atari shenanigans, so we'll see. Shouldn't actually take super long once I get the color switching bug ironed out.

Superior and 4k don't really go together. The playfield graphics for the elevator and pie factory screens would need a large chunk of memory that 4k doesn't have to spare. You could squeeze in some graphic improvements, but that's about it.

As far as "butchered", I'll stick up for Coleco DK all day long. Garry Kitchen did a phenomenal job, despite requesting 8k and not getting it. The only thing that bothered me personally about the cart was the missing levels, which is why I did this:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/229931-donkey-kong-2-lost-levels/

• Like 2

Sorry for the late reply, I've been super busy with work lately.

I haven't made any progress on this since my last post, and I'd definitely love to get back to it at some point, time permitting. Usually wintertime is better for Atari shenanigans, so we'll see. Shouldn't actually take super long once I get the color switching bug ironed out.

Just curious is that other "thing" still going on? Havent been around in a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 4/1/2017 at 8:47 PM, Psionic said:

Is there any possibility this version was done by someone outside Atari (i.e. Roklan)?

It definitely wasn’t Roklan or On Time Software.  Since Keithen remembers talking to the programmer at Atari it seems unlikely it was programmed elsewhere. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/28/2022 at 9:56 PM, Dutchman2000 said:

It definitely wasn’t Roklan or On Time Software.  Since Keithen remembers talking to the programmer at Atari it seems unlikely it was programmed elsewhere. 

I ask this primarily because the numeric font used for the score counter appears to be the exact same one that was used in Crazy Climber, Gorf, and Wizard of Wor (which were all developed by Roklan) and it's not used in any other first party Atari titles that I know of.  A slight variation of this font was also used in Astro Chase, Boing!, Omega Race and Solar Fox.