IGNORED

Help with original sio2pc

Bikerbob

Need help with my original sio2pc that I built 20+ years ago.

This is a Nick Kennedy design on a radio shack be.

I have tested the hardware following Nick's FAQ.

I have tried the trial of APE, AspeQt, RespQt, and Nick's own 4.21 of his software (run in a VISTA DOS window)

I am making a DOS bookable USB or Cd so I can run the original software direct in DOS as Nick says windows can mess with the serial communications.

So anyone really good with this stiff want to help???

James

Why don't you post a picture or two of your interface (innards).

Are you using the Max232? That was Nick's original design with several caps. A later design had a Max233 (less the caps). Lot's of folks had trouble getting the 232 version to work properly. The 14C89 (note the "C") was a lot easier and cleaner to build. This was originated, (I believe) by Rick Cortese. The 14C89 works better than 1489 with multiple drives in the system.

http://www.atariarchives.org/cfn/05/07/0050.php

A better schematic for building was on the Atarimax web site (since removed):

https://www.google.com/search?q=Atari+SIO2PC+1489&tbm=isch&imgil=N0MQV5w1imMwQM%253A%253BX4r11jUInMwCmM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.atarimax.com%25252Fape%25252Fape.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=N0MQV5w1imMwQM%253A%252CX4r11jUInMwCmM%252C_&usg=__OdKYrHi5Z_zQpLULRfQ8AZsZYLc%3D&biw=1728&bih=826&ved=0ahUKEwjWiKWWrPDLAhUrs4MKHZhGB_MQyjcISg&ei=Z-__Vpa5L6vmjgSYjZ2YDw#imgrc=N0MQV5w1imMwQM%3A

-Larry

Why don't you post a picture or two of your interface (innards).

Are you using the Max232? That was Nick's original design with several caps. A later design had a Max233 (less the caps). Lot's of folks had trouble getting the 232 version to work properly. The 14C89 (note the "C") was a lot easier and cleaner to build. This was originated, (I believe) by Rick Cortese. The 14C89 works better than 1489 with multiple drives in the system.

http://www.atariarchives.org/cfn/05/07/0050.php

A better schematic for building was on the Atarimax web site (since removed):

https://www.google.com/search?q=Atari+SIO2PC+1489&tbm=isch&imgil=N0MQV5w1imMwQM%253A%253BX4r11jUInMwCmM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.atarimax.com%25252Fape%25252Fape.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=N0MQV5w1imMwQM%253A%252CX4r11jUInMwCmM%252C_&usg=__OdKYrHi5Z_zQpLULRfQ8AZsZYLc%3D&biw=1728&bih=826&ved=0ahUKEwjWiKWWrPDLAhUrs4MKHZhGB_MQyjcISg&ei=Z-__Vpa5L6vmjgSYjZ2YDw#imgrc=N0MQV5w1imMwQM%3A

-Larry

Yes Larry, I remember when this was first being done.. we at the user group had a build your own SIO2PC evening. We built the original with the single chip 232 and the caps.

I will take pics tonight. Do you happen to remember why people had issues? I do remember using this.. it did work 25 years ago.. OUCH!! hurt me saying that!!

James

Yes Larry, I remember when this was first being done.. we at the user group had a build your own SIO2PC evening. We built the original with the single chip 232 and the caps.

I will take pics tonight. Do you happen to remember why people had issues? I do remember using this.. it did work 25 years ago.. OUCH!! hurt me saying that!!

James

I think it was because it was more difficult to build. But if yours worked then, it still should still be ok.

So it could be a com port issue. I built both 232 and 14C89, and both worked fine with WinAPE (long ago).

Do you have a real com port? All bets are off if you are using some type of USB converter. Do not use more than one real drive to get it going. Bad solder joints are always a possibility after 25 years.

-Larry

No I have not.. Do you think running it through the USB instead of the DB 9 will make it more compatible? I am using an old T40 laptop as the server. It has a real serial port on it.

How do I run the software then? SIO2USB? or Serial?

OK, so if I am remembering how this should work..

I should be able to get the PC side setup with an ATR.. bootable lets say. Then I simply turn the Atari off/on and it should boot from the atr hosted on the PC correct?

So far no go.. Someone mentioned I might need to change the handshake.. Nick does not talk about that because his software does not give any option for that.

James

I know that (generally) SIO2PC instructions say the actual Atari computer doesn't need to be powered up - just the disk drive.

However, I've found that the following steps tend to help ensure best success rates - using a USB connection.

To be honest, i did previously own a SERIAL version...but it routinely failed to connect. so perhaps USB is more relaible

1] always daisy chain so that SIO2PC is last item in the chain

2] power up your PC, SIO2PC LEDS should flash (3 times on recent models)

3] power up your atari computer and boot/load a real disk (i tend to use old menu disks as they're quick to load) - SIO2PC LEDS should flash during loading

so far, so good...you've established they're talking to each other, now it's important to get them to handshake. next stage will vary depending upon the you use. I used Atarimax versions of APE/Prosystem

4] Run APE - from the menu select IMAGE TOOLBOX and launch PROSYSTEM

5] Prosystem should confirm "1 drive detected"

I appreciate your help, but unfortunately the type of hardware your talking about was created 10 years or more after the original.

I have no LEDs, also Nick recommends I connect the sio2pc direct to the Atari and the PC - not even have any other devices in the chain.

LEDs would be awesome here to see if anything is happening.

I might look at getting a new one.. if this tinkering does not work.. just that I built it, I would love to keep using it.

James

Edited by Bikerbob

Here are some pics of my project board SIO2PC - front of the board showing the 232 Chip.

post-45982-0-86992700-1459650164_thumb.jpg

This is my Soldering Job.. not bad in my opinion :)

post-45982-0-93613000-1459650266_thumb.jpg

I have a DOS boot USB now.. I will try the SIO421 software from there.. see if that fairs better.

Bill, thanks for that Schematic.. better than the one I had.

Wonder how easy it is to get a 14C89.. maybe I rebuild this into that????

James

OK, my story is... I cleaned everything.. checked all my connections and now it works.

(Reality.. is on the machine I was running in the windows box it was showing me that it was getting a signal from the serial port... but once I got down to a bare DOS machine.. the software said.. HEY buddy you have no serial port.. this aint going to work - no serial port hang on there.. in bios it will say... disabled... DOH!!!) thanks WinDOZ

YES it works .. sigh

Edited by Bikerbob
  • Like 3

Great! Got to admit, I never thought of a bios setting.

If you're so inclined, try WinAPE -- compared to the original SIO2PC, it's a lot more feature-rich (even the trial version). I used to run it on a Pentium I palm-top (Libretto), so it will run fine on just about anything.

-Larry

• 1 year later...