IGNORED

OPCODE GAMES announces: IntelliXpander - Castlevania & Goonies! RESERVE NOW

Rev

My only complaint about the MSX ports is that it seems that some games could've used some cleanup before they were released - either in the graphics or sound departments. But overall, I'm not going to complain about having more games to play on the ColecoVision - just give the MSX ports some polish.

That's up to the developers, right? I also wish for more original Intellivision games, but that doesn't happen too often around here, unfortunately.

The point that was made above about MSX ports is that it attracts MSX programmers with an affinity and experience in that platform.

If it is just a completely different platform to all others, not strictly Intellivision or MSX or NES or whatever, what is the attraction to programmers (and I don't mean me, I mean external to the community, in general)?

There are a gazillion platforms out there for which to program, some even superior to the Intellivision with or without the IntelliXpander; and the most popular ones are the ones that trigger an affinity due to nostalgia or familiarity.

There is a serious risk there. This is not to denigrate the device, just offering a practical perspective, which I hope you appreciate. Saying "dejavu" and assuming all things are equal, may not be to your advantage. :)

The response so far has been from collectors who will buy anything "Intellivision," so that gives you one side of the equation. Remember they can only buy what is actually produced. If all those cool and original games don't materialize, it doesn't matter how much they wish them to. ;)

It would be interesting to know the views of programmers outside the Intellivision home-brew community, and get a feel for their interest as well.

dZ.

It did attract MSX programmers like myself (although I never released anything for the MSX). Last time I counted, I programmed half of all SGM releases (about 20 and counting), so that should count for something here too.

So yeah, we can have MSX ports and arcade ports here too, with obvious polishes required by the superior specs. I can churn those ports out fairly quickly when I am in the right mood. :)

Ed

Last time I counted, I programmed half of all SGM releases (about 20 and counting), so that should count for something here too.

That's a fair point. We've been talking so far about the forging of a platform supported by a vibrant developer community providing a variety of styles and game plays.

If its your own personal playground to release your own games, I guess that fulfills the demand from those who bought it.

But let us be clear that those are two separate potential outcomes that may or may not coincide. It is disingenuous to tell your potential clients that there will be a bunch of games because the platform will attract a bunch of developers from outside the community, while internally assuming that it'll probably be just you making games. ;)

Anyway, none of us know the future (well, I personally can't read it), so this is all conjecture -- perhaps informed by experience and observation, but conjecture nonetheless.

I really wish you luck. I also wish you would consider not diverging too much away from the Intellivision's nature and to "elevate" not "eliminate" the console's character; but it's your device so it's your call. I will probably buy one anyway (depending on the price), so there's that. :thumbsup:

Carry on. :)

dZ.

That's a fair point. We've been talking so far about the forging of a platform supported by a vibrant developer community providing a variety of styles and game plays.

If its your own personal playground to release your own games, I guess that fulfills the demand from those who bought it.

But let us be clear that those are two separate potential outcomes that may or may not coincide. It is disingenuous to tell your potential clients that there will be a bunch of games because the platform will attract a bunch of developers from outside the community, while internally assuming that it'll probably be just you making games. ;)

Anyway, none of us know the future (well, I personally can't read it), so this is all conjecture -- perhaps informed by experience and observation, but conjecture nonetheless.

I really wish you luck. I also wish you would consider not diverging too much away from the Intellivision's nature and to "elevate" not "eliminate" the console's character; but it's your device so it's your call. I will probably buy one anyway (depending on the price), so there's that. :thumbsup:

Carry on. :)

dZ.

Well, I can't force anyone to support it, and it doesn't make sense for me to simply make it an expensive and unfocused jack of all trades device in the hopes someone will support. I am not sure where you read I said there would be a lot of support, because I never said that. Whoever wants to support is welcome, I will do my best to help and accommodate and compromise and tweak and whatever, but until I see commitment and genuine interest, there is no reason for changes.

• Like 2

Well, I can't force anyone to support it, and it doesn't make sense for me to simply make it an expensive and unfocused jack of all trades device in the hopes someone will support. I am not sure where you read I said there would be a lot of support, because I never said that. Whoever wants to support is welcome, I will do my best to help and accommodate and compromise and tweak and whatever, but until I see commitment and genuine interest, there is no reason for changes.

I don't think your were suggesting that there would be lots of programmers supporting it. I think that's just the tacit assumption from the potential buyers here who expressed their interest. It was perhaps based on the comments of others suggesting a future thriving community for the new device.

Unless I misunderstood, and everybody was expressing their wish to buy the device for only Goonies.

Anyway, really I wasn't trying to pick an argument with you. I welcome your interest and your focus and any work you are willing to do for our little console. :)

I may not become a programmer for the IntelliXpander (I'm barely an Intellivision programmer right now, with only one game -- I just don't have the time!), but I may be a user. I am expressing my opinions from both sides. :) more games are better.

I don't think your were suggesting that there would be lots of programmers supporting it. I think that's just the tacit assumption from the potential buyers here who expressed their interest. It was perhaps based on the comments of others suggesting a future thriving community for the new device.

Unless I misunderstood, and everybody was expressing their wish to buy the device for only Goonies.

Anyway,

For only Goonies? You either didn't read the posts or what?

Got it, you don't like the idea and won't support it, and that is fine too.

I will leave it here. Good luck with your projects.

For only Goonies? You either didn't read the posts or what?

Got it, you don't like the idea and won't support it, and that is fine too.

I will leave it here. Good luck with your projects.

Hmmm... There must have been a breakdown somewhere. It's like if you didn't read my post. Check it again, it didn't say anything of the sort.

I said I may not support it as a programmer because I don't have the time -- and that I don't even have time to program at all -- but that I was still interested in the device.

I also praised and defended your effort (which you even offered me a beer!).

Anyway, like I said, this wasn't supposed to be an argument. I'm on your side: more games and better games is great. :)

Oh, I see. I edited the comment because it was submitted prematurely. Since you quoted the shorter version, I guess you missed that.

Sorry, I'm on an iPhone and the "send" button is very easy to press by mistake when animating for a letter and I stead closing the keyboard.

dZ.

Hmmm... There must have been a breakdown somewhere. It's like if you didn't read my post. Check it again, it didn't say anything of the sort.

I said I may not support it as a programmer because I don't have the time -- and that I don't even have time to program at all -- but that I was still interested in the device.

I also praised and defended your effort (which you even offered me a beer!).

Anyway, like I said, this wasn't supposed to be an argument. I'm on your side: more games and better games is great. :)

Fine, you can still have your beer. It might be a little though... :P

Something I'm really confused about. It was stated there will be no FPGA. Was the video chip actually made in the 80's? Are you using a micro-controller? CPLD?

Yes, the video chip was made in the 80s. It is a dedicated video chip and never used in a commercially released product AFAIK.

• Like 1

And I guess this is the critical question with regard to the success or otherwise of the IntelliXpander. Do hard core collectors of boxed homebrew carts with high production values, like Eric, who typically purchase more than one copy of every title, perceive it to be Intellivision? Or perhaps they view it as a rather convoluted means of using Intellivision controllers to play a modern Z80 based console?

I do NOT perceive this to "be" Intellivision... no.

I'm a little surprised at what I perceive as negativity toward this project. I would have thought the brotherhood would have welcomed this with open arms. I know I can't wait for release. I took a pass on the Coleco super game module just to be able to spend my funds on this. Why the resistance?

• Like 2

I'm a little surprised at what I perceive as negativity toward this project. I would have thought the brotherhood would have welcomed this with open arms. I know I can't wait for release. I took a pass on the Coleco super game module just to be able to spend my funds on this. Why the resistance?

I suggest we don't turn this into a "political" discussion. Let's keep focused and have fun. :)

• Like 3

The questions here are, who are those perceiving the negativity toward this project? Is there a link between those who are perceiving the negativity toward this project? In what way does this project affect those who are perceiving this project in a negative way? hhmmmm !!!

Those are the questions or maybe not the questions to be !!! lol ;)

I too am looking forward to this release!!!! Its something close or maybe not to close to what the intellivision III might have been. At least that's how im looking at this project... Plus as opcode quoted they will be supporting this expansion fully within and will be welcoming other programmers if interested. Its a win win for the Intellivision community as I see it...

Cheers Brothers

• Like 1

I had no political intent at all in my statement. Just trying to be supportive of you. ???

I apologize. Bad choice of words. I surely appreciate the support. What I meant was that I have gone through this before and the less confrontational we are the better. In the end everybody is entitled to an opinion, and if we focus on the positive side instead of negatives, we can get what we supposed to get from his hobby, lots of fun. This is an awesome community, I am surely having fun. Can't wait to start showing things. :)

Edit: so in case it isn't still clear, what I meant by "political" was the "us versus them" kind of controntatio.

So again, it wasn't my intention to criticize you or your post in any way. Sorry If it sounded like I was doing that. :)

Edit: and you sir surely earned your beer, a nice cold one! :D

• Like 1

I apologize. Bad choice of words. I surely appreciate the support. What I meant was that I have gone through this before and the less confrontational we are the better. In the end everybody is entitled to an opinion, and if we focus on the positive side instead of negatives, we can get what we supposed to get from his hobby, lots of fun. This is an awesome community, I am surely having fun. Can't wait to start showing things. :)

Edit: so in case it isn't still clear, what I meant by "political" was the "us versus them" kind of controntatio.

So again, it wasn't my intention to criticize you or your post in any way. Sorry If it sounded like I was doing that. :)

Edit: and you sir surely earned your beer, a nice cold one! :D

Understood. Thank you for the clarification! Guess I'll go get that beer now!

• Like 1