IGNORED

my modded Sinclair ZX-81

So heres my current project. Not done yet, but starting to take shape.

A sinclair zx-81 (also sold as a Timex TS1000). Its been put into a custom wood case, a TI-99/4A keyboard has been added, a modern power supply and has a 16k ram cartridge. I still need to rewire the keyboard, but im thank full that ive found a few pictures of them already modded online. As well as i need to finish up the power supply and switch.

Im debating doing the zx-1541 mod to this. That is using a commodore 1541 floppy drive as an external hard drive for my sinclair. Who knows, it might be fun to store Pong and Pacman on a floppy HD :)

2ypkr3d.jpg

2hpps20.jpg

2hn10zc.jpg

• Like 5

These were rather cheap and simple 8 bit computers, thus many experimenters modified them back when they were new. Adding wood cases, non membrane keyboards, floppy drives, a host of different things.

heres the plans for the ZX-1541 mod, so that I can use a Commodore 1541 floppy drive as my hard drive. A whopping 96kb of memory!

http://8bit.yarek.pl/interface/zx81.zx1541/index.html

2uhq29x.jpg

Edited by J.Ivy
  • Like 1

Have you implemented a better back porch? Are you interested in the ZX-PAND add-ons that involve joystick ports, AY sound chip and if I recall correctly memory card device in case the 1541 is not practical enough? I've come to understand that in modern days there is quite a lot of ZX-81 upgrades, but due to low volume they're quite pricy so mainly for the true enthusiasts.

I would love to own and use the ZX-pand and AY sound mod, I just dont have the money to buy either at this point. Hopefully i can one day in the future :)

Though there is a cheap way to rig up a joystick for this. I can add a DB9 port in the back, then hard wire that directly into the keyboards matrix, for the left, right, up, down, fire. Giving me a simple way of having a joystick for this machine.

As well as using the ZX-tape program for this. Loading and converting the game files to my pc, then onto an mp3 player. So i can then load games through the cassette port.

i wood like to see a zx spectrum log into a bbs how we do it with our lantronix modems. i have only seen youtube videos from bbc tv computer programes in the 80s but never

any one logging into a bbs any more these days.

Yes, the BBS scene is still alive and well! I log into a BBS all the time with my TI-99/4A hooked up to a Lantronix UDS-10. I've got the pieces of footage to make a You Tube video, but have not had the time to put it all together in a decent manner yet.

I do have a lame little video that is showing off ANSI graphics in 80 columns though. << LAME LITTLE YOU TUBE VIDEO >>

Well my video output is now being screwy, im not getting a consistent signal to the tv, just flashes of it on the screen. This board WAS working fine a few weeks back when i hooked it up to a 1982 quasar b&w tv set. Ive tried two different adapter cables as well as checked the power supply.

Im at a loss, any ideas?

Maybe a dumb question but how did you hook up the TI keyboard?

The matrix of the Ti-99/4a and ZX-81 are different, so the keyboard has to be modified a bit. A few cut traces and a bit of rewiring. Here are the pictures that i found of a TI that has already been modded for use on a zx81.

I actually havent modded my keyboard yet, i was about to and then had this video issue crop up...

2h52lvn.jpg

2em0xus.jpg

70ak39.jpg

Edited by J.Ivy
  • Like 1