IGNORED

TODAY: What would be your dream/suggested A8 setup?

doctor_x

Ex BBS sysop... Love to research disks I find searching for rare stuff, demo screens, loader menus, etc...

If you were going to suggest a "rig" I should get to not only be able to buy stuff off of ebay (disks/carts) but also be able to enjoy the wealth of ROMs that are out there and easy to get - what setup would you recommend?

Note that while emulators are ok to a point - I absolutely am interested in Atari hardware.

Another note: I *REALLY* like the remote keyboard functionality of the XEGS... Have any/many mods been done to this system or nah?

Doc

So replying to my own topic.. lol..

In nosing around, it appears that this would likely be a pretty hot setup... Comments?

XEGS with extended keyboard cable

VBXE for video mod

Ultimate 1mb

Side2

plus an XF551 for reading disks or possibly a ferret drive or something similar on my pc....

I never once used spartados other than possibly when required by a bbs software or something way back when -- but man it looks bad ass... the "Sparta commander" and "eddy" apps are just freaking amazing looking and I'm chomping at the bit to get back into Atari now....

Let me know if you think anything else is missing from my list.. From what I am seeing if I have Side2, I don't really need and SIO2SD or similar right?

Finally - I am WAYYYYYY behind on Atari mods - so I'm certain with some research I will learn everything I need to know... Really just trying to get back into "the community" as well.. :)

doc

• Like 1

Ferret is sort of like kryoplex or catweasel -- its a way to read Atari disks on your pc... from what it appears though ferret project died.. Sounds like some people here are already using kryoplex for the software preservation initiative - so it would probably be wise for me to use what others are...

• Like 1

Well for me it the dream setup (from back ion the day) is the 800XL with RAMBO XL (256K), S-Video mod (improving the video output is a must for the 800XL). then a Rtime8, Multi I/O and SpartaDOS X. For a monitor, I'll go dual... Commodore 1702 and an Amber composite screen. Must have a SCSI disk of some kind. For floppies I'll go with a US Doubler modded 1050 (tough call for me because my sentimental favorite is the Indus GT).

I had a Star NX10 with my Atari and it was a workhorse for me... I used it for 10 years on three different computers. For modem my last Atari modem was a Hayes V-series 9600 BPS. It rocked.

The ultimate joystick for me was the Amiga powerstick. Best I ever had (and I have almost every Wico stick made). Loved the feel and precision.

Now this was my ultimate system back in the day and I still own most of it. (some was rebought like the 1702).

It's hard to beat the SIO2SD, U1MB, SIDE2, etc. for modern mods, but back in the day this combo rocked.

I wish I had a GOOD 80 column solution, but I have an XEP80. My MIO has a monitor port but it does nothing.

Oh and having teh Atari through a good audio system makes a big difference... I never had a stereo Atari but for years I used a Marantz Amplifier with small bookshelf speakers with the Atari.

Edited by bbking67
  • Like 1

What I have is close but missing stuff *

800XL, Ultimate 1 Meg, IDE Plus 2, VBXE

Atarimax flashcarts, SIO2PC cable interface, SIO2SD

* 65816 accelerator @ 14 MHz, SIO2BT.

Probably more. Things like coprocessor cart like Project Veronika. Things that are proposed but not readily availble such as inbuilt HDMI conversion.

Lotharek's SIO2PC USB is the way to go for sure. That and a 4MB memory upgrade is coming that makes it easy to upgrade if it's a socketed machine, you have no soldering to worry about. I don't know that much about the XEGS though I imagine it being similar to the XE so maybe it's socketed?

Back in the day I wanted specs as 16-bit, 80 column, 512k ram, a hard drive, 2400bps modem, double the number of player/missile

Today, I have side2 for my hd, vbxe in an 800xl for 80col/vega out (with help of sync doubler)..128k in a stock 130xe, a rapidus uninstalled in a box... No longer care about 2400bps, but do have connectivity in sio2pc... So I don't have the dream in one machine....yet

And what happened to my additional p/m.... And now I want at least 4 times as many.... :)

Today...none!

Really. Back in the 80s the A8 was a great experience.... programmingwise. But all about video and audio looked incomplete. While the 400/800 in the late 70s had been outstanding pieces of great Computerhardware, the XL series suffered by "trivial" issues. Just like no colours in hires. They even forgot the chroma line in the XL... No 80 columns when it was standard in almost every computer in the mid 80s. And, well, POKEY and the missing "HiFi" circuit , to connect the A8 to some amplifier... The XE series looked like a hoax in several aspects, as the Freddy chip seemed to bring improvements to the A8 just like "fastmem" in the Amiga. But the CPU still gots halted , even if the memory of the CPU and ANTIC wasn't shared. Even sold in the late 80s it still got no 80 columns... And so on...

Today...none!

Really. Back in the 80s the A8 was a great experience.... programmingwise. But all about video and audio looked incomplete. While the 400/800 in the late 70s had been outstanding pieces of great Computerhardware, the XL series suffered by "trivial" issues. Just like no colours in hires. They even forgot the chroma line in the XL... No 80 columns when it was standard in almost every computer in the mid 80s. And, well, POKEY and the missing "HiFi" circuit , to connect the A8 to some amplifier... The XE series looked like a hoax in several aspects, as the Freddy chip seemed to bring improvements to the A8 just like "fastmem" in the Amiga. But the CPU still gots halted , even if the memory of the CPU and ANTIC wasn't shared. Even sold in the late 80s it still got no 80 columns... And so on...

And compared to my Core i7-5930K processor and GeForce GTX 980 Ti video card, the Atari 8-bits seem like worthless garbage. Okay, I have to ask, why are you here?

It took a while, but I already have my dream setup.

* The first thing I wanted for my Atari was a disk drive. I got a 1050 Top Drive only to discover that it was not exactly what I wanted the mass storage to be. When I learned about the existence of hard disks, I immediately knew that I wanted one. It was a very expensive thing, I was not able to afford an Atari hard drive, so (long story short) around 1994 I convinced Simius to build one. He did it and I wrote the firmware for it (the PBI ROM driver, that is). It was the earliest version of the thing you may now know as IDE+2.0.

In those times hard drive vendors sometimes added very detailed manuals to the stuff they were selling. I got hold of such a detailed manual of some Western Digital disk, they were kind enough to include literally all the information needed to build an AT-BUS host adapter for it and to write a driver.

* The second thing I wanted for my Atari was a memory expansion. This was the consequence of getting a disk drive: it was a pain to copy double density disks using only 1 disk drive and 64k RAM. So soon after the warranty had expired, I gave my Atari to some people who were able to expand the RAM. I got a 256k (64+192) RAMBO-like expansion, and used it for quite a long time, even in the times when software started to require 320k. Now I have three Ataris, one 320k, one U1MB, one 4 MB, if not one, then the other ought to be enough :)

* The third thing I wanted for my Atari from the earliest times was an 80-column display. I wanted that, because I was writing many texts and did much text processing in general (in The First XLEnt Wordprocessor - that program was so good that it was only The Last Word 2.x - and later releases - that was superior enough to make me abandon the First XLEnt). I was always jealous of this feature of the Amstrads (but not enough to get an Amstrad, apart from anything else, they were relatively expensive).

When Electron released a first version of his VBXE, it was noone else than yours truly who convinced him to implement some form of 80-column text mode in the board. It was early enough, there yet was some place in the FPGA, so he has developed the beautiful VBXE 80-column text mode which I like very much. If I am not mistaken, out of all the new modes implemented in the FX core, this one is used most often.

* The fourth thing I wanted for my Atari was an accelerator. The Atari served for me well until mid 90s as the first computer (I also had a Falcon, but it was not until some 1996 when I began to seriously switch from 8-bit to the Falcon as the primary, everyday machine), for some tasks it was a bit too slow. Around 1995 I have learned about the 65C816, so in December 1995 (by accident, I have the postal receipt to this day) I purchased the Sweet-16 board from the FTe (speak of luck, I had no idea, that they had financial problems and are soon to disappear) along with some other stuff. That was an experiment, but, after getting some acquaintance with it, I liked the new processor. It was still 64k and 1,77 MHz, though, and I knew that the CPU is able to address 16 MB and run up to (IIRC) 10 or 14 MHz.

Now two of my three computers contain the 65C816, one having 4 MB RAM at 1,77 MHz, the other one - 30 MB and the CPU operating at 20 MHz.

So, I am now a satisfied user, and a part of this satisfaction is that I was sometimes also less or more (rather less than more, but still) engaged in creating the hardware I wanted to be available.

Sorry for the long post, I could not resist :)

Edited by drac030
  • Like 5