IGNORED

A new Commodore 64 computer and gaming handheld are coming via Indiegogo

Oh, they are also at 50% funding now at about $75.000 with 11 days left to go, and most of the major buzz from the media has died off by now.

They have quite the uphill struggle in front of them if they want all 150k, but being flexible funding they will keep what they raise anyway and might choose to opt out one of the devices, like the handheld for example

I don't wish anyone ill will, but I'm "glad" on one level that a project like this is struggling for funding (although who knows what the final push will be--they could still make it), even though they'll still get anything pledged. If this had a real prototype and was better thought-out, I think they would have blown past their goal and then some (and could have simply gone on Kickstarter, for even more exposure). I think there are absolutely markets for these types of products, at least for the higher profile (upper tier in sales and popularity) vintage platforms.

• Like 3

Yes, i agree. It feels like they didn't think it through enough before going on Indiegogo. For me, they really dropped the egg on the floor when they - in the middle of the fundraising no less - started writing stuff like "we will take your tips on what to do with it!" like they really didn't know it themselves, and starting to toss around ideas for cartridge adapters and whatnot... If you don't have critical stuff like that figured out by the time you look for money to make it then you have a red flag right there.

Markets for these kinds of devices are tricky, too. Either you go for a cheap, simple system for the masses that likely will be frowned upon to a larger or lesser degree by the purists but reach out to almost anyone, or you go hardcore and complicated (and thus expensive), cater to the purists and hardcore users but also making it unappealing to large swaths of more casual gamers.
Examples of the former are Flashback systems, example of the latter should be the MIST FPGA.

Making something in the middle would be a herculean task... Keeping it simple and cheap enough that casuals might get it, while retaining the bits appealing to the hardcore crowd is something i don't believe ever will be feasible. IMO there is a bigger risk you will piss everyone off by doing it wrong than pleasing everyone :-D .

• Like 2

[...] allegedly made some members of the team jump ship for different reasons. There has been all kinds of drama with the remaining team editing out the names of the former members from the Indiegogo-page, the webpage etc.

[...]

I believe the guys behind the THE64 (that sounds wrong?) has had their eyeballs on these developments for some time now.

Remember though (mentioned a few pages back) that the guys who left the Vega project are the same people who started THE64 (for licensing reasons they can't say Commodore or C64, which is why they use THEODD name THE64) and then sold it to someone else. All very weird.

They have quite the uphill struggle in front of them if they want all 150k, but being flexible funding they will keep what they raise anyway and might choose to opt out one of the devices, like the handheld for example

Yes that $150K is an arbitrary number; with flexible funding it means nothing.

I think people should get a cheap laptop and fill it with emulators. Probably have better compatibility.

These recreations seem to be trading on the cuteness factor, of a modern device that looks just like one from 30+ years ago. Also there are a number of people who (astonishingly) are literally unable to or can't be bothered to set up and use an emulator. Those people are looking for a plug & play device where they don't have to copy any files, download and install anything, suffer the stress of risking getting a virus, etc.

As a tech savvy backer of this project (ya, ya, I know) I can say that I just think it would be a cool device to have sitting on a table in my gaming room.

As I stated before, I understand it would be another emulator and perhaps it may evaporate into the aether if the financial goal isn't met.

They claim that they will be manufacturing the product anyway but I have no reason to believe them.

This time around I'm rolling the dice and seeing if it pays off.

Let's see if I get something cool under the Christmas tree this year.

• Like 1

My worry about these in generel, if they get produced, is limited developer support. Even completely open platforms fail to catch on... so there's a question of how long the original creator is willing to develop for it.

The GP2X had a huge community for a while but then it got fragmented between iOS, Android, Pandora and the Dingoo...

Edited by Newsdee

My worry about these in generel, if they get produced, is limited developer support. Even completely open platforms fail to catch on... so there's a question of how long the original creator is willing to develop for it.

The GP2X had a huge community for a while but then it got fragmented between iOS, Android, Pandora and the Dingoo...

This is different from something like the GP2X or its ilk (which I've struggled with myself) in that it's a single purpose device meant to run original software. If they get it right in the first place, then it doesn't matter if they go away after a few years. Those other devices rely on constantly updated emulators, firmware updates, etc. In theory, that shouldn't affect this type of product. Of course, I'm not even expecting them to come up with anything, but that's a different argument.

I tried to get interested in devices and gadgets like these, but for some reason I can't. Don't know exactly what it is. I'm thinking about why and hope to have a coherent reason soon. Someone remind me to post it!

As someone who professes to love emulation, I can't imagine what problem you'd have with something like this. Again, I don't think they're going to actually produce what they say they are, but assuming they are, having an emulation-driven C-64-specific keyboard and other modern conveniences seems extremely reasonable and rather desirable.

I personally have no issue with single purpose modern devices. It's kind of a bridge between impersonal emulation on a generic computer and the relative "challenge" (maintenance, decades old tech, size, etc.) of using an original machine.

• Like 4

As a tech savvy backer of this project (ya, ya, I know) I can say that I just think it would be a cool device to have sitting on a table in my gaming room.

As I stated before, I understand it would be another emulator and perhaps it may evaporate into the aether if the financial goal isn't met.

They claim that they will be manufacturing the product anyway but I have no reason to believe them.

This time around I'm rolling the dice and seeing if it pays off.

Let's see if I get something cool under the Christmas tree this year.

It will be a miracle if they make Christmas 2017, let alone Christmas 2016. Hopefully for backers such as yourself, I'm wrong.

• Like 1

The first batch of included games will be presented this week. Assuming those people who also were in the C64DTV project handled licensing, I'd bet that we'll see the same selection, or perhaps if Cloanto already has some games licensed to be included.

Edit: The C64 Forever includes more than 100 games, but those are not listed on the page. Interesting that they're linking to some sites with not always "copyright cleared" content, to be polite.

https://www.c64forever.com/games/

Edited by carlsson

I fail to understand how this upgrade will even combat today's standard machines as in terms of graphics, sound, quality operation, etc. We have no working prototype being demonstrated for the general public, plus - Commodore International & USA both cease to exist, but the remaining IP holders would get their cut of profit if any is made at all from this 'project'.

If this does take off & it succeeds, then more power to the people putting this together.

• 1 month later...

I forgot, too, until the emails came saying this thread has been updated.

Anyone wanting to experience the C64 can do much better, faster, by just going to ebay and buying the hardware there. Or perhaps even emulation and the thousands of games available for download.

I'll keep one eye on it. That handheld would be nice but It's a case of wait and see. I'd rather back a Kickstarter for that 'Breast Breakout' game that Soul Blazer has as his avatar.

Edited by Arnuphis
  • Like 1