IGNORED

Going price for STe?

What exactly do you guys feel as fair for a very nice condition STe of the 4MB variant, no yellowing? Your standard ST series keyboard, not the Mega ST boxes.

I would have thought $250 is in range for such a unit but could be terribly wrong, never mind the fact that I can't even really find one.

A recon unit from B&C is $450 but isn't that a premium going price?

stelogo.jpg

Yeah, I'm in the U.S. so easily double that plus take into account the dwindling U.S. dollar and that's $80, which would still be really well priced. Then if I import one, I have to worry about changing out the power supply and possibly the keyboard in some instances maybe, which would go beyond the benefit and cost of getting one altogether. Know anyone with a closet full and don't mind shipping via DHL to U.S.? ;-)

Edited by Clint Thompson

At least $300 (if you are lucky) but more realistically in the $400-$500 range, especially given the RAM and badge upgrade.

The badge is like $20 so I don't really feel like that's a big deal overall but I guess if it really is $400-$450 then I suppose B&C's price is on point and I should just go with that? 4MB or not I would still have to get the badge separately and that would then bump it to $470 not including shipping so I guess now it's getting into the $525 shipped range.

Edited by Clint Thompson

What exactly do you guys feel as fair for a very nice condition STe of the 4MB variant, no yellowing? Your standard ST series keyboard, not the Mega ST boxes.

I would have thought $250 is in range for such a unit but could be terribly wrong, never mind the fact that I can't even really find one.

I suppose it depends on how 'mint' it is and how important that is to you. I've never seen an ST from a private seller go for as much as B&C's is asking, I paid that much each last year for a TT and Falcon, and much less for a Mega STE and Stacy. They are a business though. The 4160 badge and 4MB RAM shouldn't add anything to the price above what they actually cost, which is about $50 or so.

If that really is the going price then I need to start retrobrighting some of my spare STEs!

• Like 1

The prices i have been seeing lately are under 300 for an ste and 3-400 for mega ste's on ebay.

On ebay germany you can usually get a mega ste for under 100 euros and they have a 110-220v power supply so you can use them here. Get english tos and some english keycaps for 20 bucks from best and youre golden.

Obviously one from the dealer should be clean and tested but 450 is way high.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Atari-MEGA-STE-2-MB-HD-Originaltastatur-Netzkabel-Atari-Maus-RAR-/322078356911?hash=item4afd5db5af:g:s9cAAOSw~oFXFBeP

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Atari-MEGA-STE-4-MB-48-MB-HDD-Originaltastatur-Atari-Monitor-SM124-Maus-/301935668894?hash=item464cc4ae9e:g:fr8AAOSw3mpXF-Xt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by bugs

Thanks for all the feedback guys! It seems like maybe going the B&C route isn't such a bad idea after all. If someone notices this thread and has a really nice condition 4MB STe they want to part with for the $300ish range, please PM me.

Should you pay $450 for the STe from B&C, know that you will be getting a nice one with a guarantee. You will also be able to get your money out of it some day not problem. Ste's as I mentioned, sell for $500ish these days on ebay (nice examples anyway, which yours will be.) I think I paid $300 for mine from a woman who had two on ebay, a bunch of people were watching them, the second then sold really fast for $500. I have at least 1K in my ST collection now as I got the NEC 1970nx multisyc, best VGA cable, Ultrasatan, Bose Sound System, and a bunch of software etc, not to mention my CD ROM drive. ENJOY!

• Like 1

B&C Price is the most you'll likely pay, but they have stock on hand. When you get tired of being outbid on ebay, the B&C guys are a good alternative (if they have what you need). There's a few sites that'll sell you a STe from overseas (ST Freakz I think or something like that), but he may not have stock too often.

All that said, I scored a 1040STe 4meg for less than $300 off ebay about a month ago. Only downside to it is it came with TOS 1.06 which is the oldest STe TOS, but I'm pretty sure you can just burn eproms and drop in whatever version you want easily. Seller even added a SF314 and SM124 for an extra $125. The monitor needs calibration and I gotta open the sucker to do that. I'd say I got an OK deal. It's my first STe and so far it's running great. Unless you can find someone on here or atari-forum willing to sell you a system I think bidding or buying from a retailer is your best bet.

My advice, setup an ebay watch for atari 1040 STe. Get the ebay app on your phone to get alerts, figure out your ceiling and hope some reseller posts a STe at a STf price with a Buy It Now option. Lately I've seen a few come up for sale. They are out there.

If people overseas are having trouble buying STE's, I can refurbish a couple, then they will be serviced properly, not just old junk off ebay. I am in the UK though, so shipping is likely going to be expensive £50 mark.

Hello Exxosuk,

what models of STE's do you have in stock, and what cost plus shipping (I'm based in the UK - if close enough, I could pick it up). Please PM me if you have the chance.

Hello Exxosuk,

what models of STE's do you have in stock, and what cost plus shipping (I'm based in the UK - if close enough, I could pick it up). Please PM me if you have the chance.

I have a lot of machines, though not "stocked" as I spend a lot of time in servicing them before I sell them which takes a lot of time. Also it depends what upgrades you want fitting. I'm in the midlands. Best to check out my store first of all.

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/store.htm

• Like 1

So going the Exxo-route seems to be the best choice for me after considering factors such as a replacement PSU, or upgraded rather, for longevity, TOS 2.06 and an overall nice machine all for around $400 total, shipped to the U.S. - Then I can apply the 4196 badge once it arrives and give it a proper slew of Games and MIDI applications to burn through!

=)

• Like 1

I have a lot of machines, though not "stocked" as I spend a lot of time in servicing them before I sell them which takes a lot of time. Also it depends what upgrades you want fitting. I'm in the midlands. Best to check out my store first of all.

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/store.htm

Awesome, I'm based in Brum.I'm looking for an STe to play games really. I have got an Amiga a1200 :-o WHDload setup. Looking for a setup along those lines - 4mb STe with internal storage for games with a 16 Mhz booster. I did check out your store - some pretty cool stuff on there.

I hope to have a couple stock machines done soon, but I am swamped with so many things going on at the moment its unreal. I've just started working on a simple STE booster where I hope it will be available in about a months time. Then I will be working on a more advenced version with IDE and alt-ram, but i suspect it will be 6-12months easily before that even shows sign of life. I never built a IDE or alt-ram design before, so it may not even get produced. Its why I am trying to get some simple booster produced meanwhile.

I am in the process of reducing the collection, due to a complete lack of time (like 4 years since I played with my ST stuff). I *think* I have 2 1040STes. I will have to look, to be sure. I think so, I think one is boxed and the other is not, but they are both really nice (no yellowing, nice, if memory serves). I will have to dig 'em out and take some nice (direct sunlight) pictures, so condition can be truly assessed. I have so much stuff that I haven't used in so long (and so may other worries now), that I can't remember, exactly. I live in Tennessee.

All this stuff is going to Ebay soon, but if you're looking, I'll test 'em out and post some pictures here, first.

I am going to place these systems (along with some more 1040STe, 1040STfm, 520STfm, 520STm, SF314, Indus GT-like drive for ST, Spectre GCR, programming languages, books, etc) on Ebay this summer, starting soon.

No extensive testing, as-is as all get out and yellowed like a submarine - thanks but no thanks. I've seen this on eBay for a while now and have passed it up for good reason. I think my best option is to go with Exxo (currnet plan) or B&C at this point. I suppose I could retrobrite the living daylights out of the thing but when buying from within the community or from an actual dealer, at least you know what you're getting and they generally know the machine well enough that it's tested beyond a $300 paperweight that could prove to be nothing more than a hassle or nightmare in the end.