IGNORED

Superman--Sears picture label

dwh

so far, it looks like it will go up to $65  ;)  

who knows what kind of bargain it would have been if not posted here  :x

This cart is not worth anywhere near $65. I picked up this sears picture version with instructions on ebay about 4 months ago for $12 or so.

I wonder if there's some Superman collector who's bidding it up, not knowing that it's not that hard to come by? I've seen this happen with other games like the Star Wars title and once with a Dukes of Hazzard proto... the guy who ended up with it wasn't an Atari collector at all, just a Dukes memorabilia collector.

Odd, that one, I thought...

:ponder:

First time I've ever seen a picture labeled Sears Superman cart. But did anyone else notice that the end label is from a Text label Superman cart? Pic label Sears carts had slightly different looking end labels (look at a few and you'll see what I mean). This *might* be a fake.

Tempest

anything could be a "fake" at this point, since it seems possible to make a reproduction label for anything.

sears end labels did have different styles, some much closer to the glossy dark black end labels atari versions had.

this particular picture label version from sears seemed more like a rumor than reality to me, this is the first one i have ever seen...it's not listed on atariage. does anyone else have this version they could post a picture of it for comparison?

and i doubt it is a rarity 4, more like a 6 or 7 i'm guessing.

First time I've ever seen a picture labeled Sears Superman cart.   But did anyone else notice that the end label is from a Text label Superman cart?  Pic label Sears carts had slightly different looking end labels (look at a few and you'll see what I mean).  This *might* be a fake.

Tempest

nope, sears used a different font for "N" in later years. the end label on ebay has a different font from both the sears superman text (also white versus yellow) and a different font from the atari picture label:

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?Sof...wareLabelID=534

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?Sof...wareLabelID=532

Wow, a cart that is not even listed on AA. If I had to guess, I would guess that this cart is a rarity 6 which would match up with the rarest of the sears carts. Who knows, maybe its a 10? Why isnt this cart listed on atari age? Was it just an oversite, or is it so extrememly rare, that no one even knew it existed?

I just did a quick picture comparison, comparing the Superman picture for auction to the Atari picture cart then looking at Adventure Atari vs. Adventure Sears picture. The Superman cart looks very consistent for what other Sears picture carts look like and shares the same similarities other Sears picture carts have to their Atari counterparts. Based on that, I think this cart is the real deal.

Wow, a cart that is not even listed on AA.  If I had to guess, I would guess that this cart is a rarity 6 which would match up with the rarest of the sears carts.  Who knows, maybe its a 10?  Why isnt this cart listed on atari age?  Was it just an oversite, or is it so extrememly rare, that no one even knew it existed?

A lot of Sears picture carts have only recently been discovered. This does not necessarily make them ultra rare, they just may have eluded the collectors because a lot of people pass up Sears carts when collecting because of their similarites to Atari carts. Everything about them is identical except the name on the cart with the exception of Steeplechase, Submarine Commander and Stellar Track which are original titles. Still, it would be kind of cool if this did turn out to be really rare.

Both the main and end labels on this cartridge do use the regular Sears picture label font, distinctly different from Atari's font and also from Sears' text label font. (I know someone else already made this point but I want to reinforce it.)

I have not seen one of these before and have no idea of its rarity, but I am fairly confident that it is authentic.

Someone at PC4 was telling me that he had seen picture labeled carts for most Sears games including Superman.  I thought he was full of crap, but maybe not...

Tempest

I think you and I were having that conversation with the same guy at the same time. I remember saying "Even buh?" and he'd say yes, and I'd say "Even so-and-so?" and he'd say yes to that too. His bottom line was that almost no Sears cart existed without a picture label, which although plausible still represents a mind-blowing collector's challenge if true.

If the seller had gone to the effort of doctoring up the photo, he would undoubtedly have taken the extra effort to hype his acution as HOLY GRAIL, RARE, RARE RARE!!! But no. He nonchalantly specifies his cart as a Rarity 4, nothing more special than a "Scarce +"

With a 100% feedback rating, an unhyped auction and other current auctions of his offering other Sears carts and a Sears console, I have no reason to suspect the seller's picture lable Sears Superman cart is anything but genuine.

Just because no one has seen a pic Sears Superman cart before doesn't mean that much. It wasn't until a year ago that a picture label Miniature Golf cart surfaced on eBay to the stunned amazement of many veteran label variation collectors. Hardcore label variation collectors stun easily because there are a lot fewer of them than they realize. And there are a whole lotta variations out there.

Here's a riddle for Sears collectors: Where does that model number come from, #99845? The seller mentions that number, even though the label on his cart shows it to be 49-75152. That is also the number found in the AA database, even though the cart scan for that entry shows the number 49-75152. I checked both of my sears Superman's (Supermen?), and they are also listed as 49-75152, both on the cartridge labels and on the box.

Does anybody have a Sears Superman with the model number 99845 on it, either on the label, instructions or box? Maybe the 99845 in the AA database is an error.

Ben

I agree with Ben on the seller's take on the rarity. This cart is probably MORE rare than he says it is, and he maybe doesn't even realize it.

As for the two numbers, I would guess Sears actually did have two catalog numbers for these games. IIRC, my first-run Target Fun (with red text label) has one of those 5-digit numbers starting with 9, whereas my later yellow text label Target Fun cartridges have a 49-xxxxx number.

If someone has a first-run Sears Superman, I bet it says 99845. Anyone?

The two Sears Superman's I have are both text label, and both are numbered 49-75152, the same number shown on the picture label variant on auction.

However, my two carts are different. One of the labels says "for 1 player" (which I have to assume is the earliest run of the three) and the other says "for 1 or 2 players" (which I have to assume came later, but before the pic label variation). So, if all three cartridge runs bear the number 49-75152... where does the model number 99845 fit in? How many production runs of Sears Superman could there have been? Does anyone actually have a 99845?

Ben

Archived