IGNORED

just some 7800 questions.....

Everett1954

Hi,

1) Are there any 2600 games that the 7800 will not play? Especially any home brew titles?

2) Does the 7800 work with the 2600 Harmony encore cartridge?

3) Does the 7800 work with Atarivox+ for 2600 carts?

4) Does a flash cart exist for 7800 titles?

5) I understand that most games on 7800 can use 2600 and sega controllers. Also that some 7800 games some use both buttons. Is there a a two button substitute controller that works or a link to modding a controller?

The answers will help me make a decision if i want to spring for a 7800 vs. 2600.

Thanks in advance!

1) Technically no. Depending on your 7800, there are some 2600 cart shells that have a lot of difficulty being plugged into the slot. Code wise, there isn't an issue.

2) Yes, as far as I know.

3) Yes, as far as I know.

4) Curt released the Cuttlecart2 some 12 years ago for the 7800. However there's the H2 on the horizon, and also Mateos is releasing a flash cart with 16 slots soon: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251570-atari-7800-rewritable-multigame-cartridge/

5) I don't believe so, although someone might correct me and say a Genesis controller can work for both buttons. Aside from the Edladdin replacement controllers available.

1) Technically no. Depending on your 7800, there are some 2600 cart shells that have a lot of difficulty being plugged into the slot. Code wise, there isn't an issue.

5) I don't believe so, although someone might correct me and say a Genesis controller can work for both buttons. Aside from the Edladdin replacement controllers available.

1) If your 7800 is one of the first few or last few off the line, it should be fully compatible. In between, though, there are some issues with certain cartridges...off the top of my head, The Activision Decathlon and Robot Tank come to mind, as well as the Starpath Supercharger. If you have difficulty plugging in a cart, a minor physical modification is very doable: there's a plastic lip around the cartridge port that can be removed pretty easily if you don't mind opening the console and working with a Dremel or razor blade.

5) A Genesis controller can work with both buttons...provided you have the proper adapter, such as (but not limited to) the Edladdin Seagull 78. :)

• Like 1

1) Maybe. With some versions of the console, Kool-Aid Man gets stuck in a corner and bounces out of control. There may be other games with glitches, but not enough to worry about (unless you LOVE Kool-Aid Man).

2) Works fine

3) Yes, but you'll have to take the Atarivox out of the shell (or mod the 7800 shell) to get it to fit.

4) Very Soon, but there is no set date, so...

5)there are options. I use a NES pad (nodded by the.golden.axe back in the day). Others make similar.

The minor and extremely rare 2600 compatibility issues that very few might encounter are completely fixed by the Harmony cart, as those 3 or 4 problem games run just fine from a Harmony, even on 7800 consoles where the original carts won't.

So the answer is: get a Harmony and you will have 100% compatibility.

I think the OP is asking for any controllers that work two button with the 7800 WITHOUT any modifications needed. And there aren't afaik. You need adapters or mods currently if you're not using the Proline or Europads.

Just a minor correction, the Cuttle Cart 2 was created by Chad Schell.

Yeah, I had a brain fart there. Chad released the Cuttlecart series.

On compatibility, the vast overwhelming majority of 2600 games work without an issue. There's a handful that can be problematic on some 7800s, but 99+% are perfectly fine to run.

No Sega controllers support two buttons directly - either Master System or Genesis. The light gun doesn't work either.

5) I understand that most games on 7800 can use 2600 and sega controllers. Also that some 7800 games some use both buttons. Is there a a two button substitute controller that works or a link to modding a controller?

I make a Sega Genesis to Atari 7800 adapter, price is $18 for adapter + shipping

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/249239-sega-genesis-to-atari-7800-controller-adapter-for-sale-gen78/

If you rather hack a Genesis controller, it takes two resistors. Follow the schematic in the Atari 7800 FAQ

Nice thing about buying 7800 is that it works for both 7800 and 2600 with single system. If you video mod the 7800 then its even better because single video mod works for both 2600 and 7800 mode.

Wow, What a great bunch of responses!! Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer the questions. And so quickly too.

All the answers were what I hoped for so its going to be a 7800 for me!!

Now to find a nice one at a reasonable price. It will be a nice addition to my 5200.

• Like 3

Some more questions,

Can i use the 2600 paddle controllers on the 7800 for those 2600 games that use it?

Do any 7800 games use paddles?

Regarding AV MOD....can the 7800 be modded to output stereo sound for those 2600 games that have it?

Thanks!

You can use the paddles to move left and right in the 7800 version of Ms. Pac-Man... but obviously not up or down, Lol.

I'm unaware if there's any 7800 paddle specific games for the system though...

That is only because the trigger buttons on paddles are mapped to joy left and joy right.

Crazy Brix is a great 7800 paddle game btw. You need to use the paddles in the right player port however.

AtariVox works but needs to either be removed from it's shell (not recommended) or use an extension cable. The recent 7800 homebrew Dungeon Stalker uses AtariVox extensively.

And a minority of 2600 games have issues playing on a minority of 7800s. That and some 3rd party carts sometimes not fitting well is why I would recommend a 2600 in addition to 7800 for playing games.

• Like 1

That is only because the trigger buttons on paddles are mapped to joy left and joy right.

Crazy Brix is a great 7800 paddle game btw. You need to use the paddles in the right player port however.

AtariVox works but needs to either be removed from it's shell (not recommended) or use an extension cable. The recent 7800 homebrew Dungeon Stalker uses AtariVox extensively.

And a minority of 2600 games have issues playing on a minority of 7800s. That and some 3rd party carts sometimes not fitting well is why I would recommend a 2600 in addition to 7800 for playing games.

Unless spacing is an issue, definitely use 2600 games on a 2600. Why suffer the 7800's cartridge slot to wear and tear over 2600 carts? :)

Unless spacing is an issue, definitely use 2600 games on a 2600. Why suffer the 7800's cartridge slot to wear and tear over 2600 carts? :)

Word. My 7800 lost her virginity to an Activision cart.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241383-insert-activision-cart-and-pop-goes-the-weasel/

Good news is she now takes mostly whatever I can shove inside her, including those infamous double enders. :love:

Imagics are still a no-go however; they simply won't fit no matter how hard I try to force it... |:)

Oh and Curt owes me a new cart guide, paid for on his broken website but never received. :x

• Like 2

Hi,

I also picked up a 2600 jr....I guess Ill keep it due to the slot problem with the 7800. I ve heard you can dremel the opening, but that can't be pretty no matter how good you are at using the dremel.

i seen the cartridge extender cart but not sure who or if still made, plus that is adding more connections onto the cartridge connector

I have never seen the double ended cartridges..who made them?