IGNORED

If you could only pick two OS ROMS for the 8-bit

ACML

First of all, I know we don't have to settle for just two and picking just one I thought was too limiting. I chose two as it is arguably the easiest modification that only requires a single pole double throw (SPDT) selector switch (+5VDC -- Center -- GND). This ties in with the RF channel 3/4 RF selector switch which is conveniently a SPDT already wired for (+5VDC -- Center -- GND). This allows the two OS modification to just be a wire going from the high address bit on the EPROM direct to the center pole of the RF 3/4 selector switch. No drilling or cutting holes in the case. No one uses RF video anymore.

I've thought about it, tried different configurations, and the two I think are the ones to go with are;

1) Atari 600/800XL OS

It is the most compatible OS

Still retains the 1200XL extended keyboard and LED functionality

2) Omniview XE/256, etc OS

Based on the Atari 400/800 OSB OS making it compatible with older programs

Allows full access to 64K. Its a 64K Atari 400/800.

Awesome 80 column output through the separate video (Y/C) or S-video

Has the fast math floating point routine

Has the built in monitor for the ATR-8000

Has RAM disk handler for 256K machines

I've put this combo in my 1200XLs and have never been disappointing with this combination.

• Like 1

I've put this combo in my 1200XLs and have never been disappointing with this combination.

I bought a 1200xl from you on Ebay a year or so ago and agree that these two OSs are a good combination for a non-U1MB modded system. I use this 1200XL mainly for original game carts and the Ultimate cart, so being able to switch to an 800 compatible OS in an instant is great when needed (Gorf, Demon Attack, etc.).

For my other system however, having a highspeed OS sure is nice.

XEOS (with reverse Basic and Hias' HSIO) and Omnimon XE (for 800 compatibility and the superb monitor). "No others need apply..." ;)

-Larry

The reason I went with 600/800XL OS is that the XE OS got rid of the 1200XL extended keyboard support.