• It's only worth a Redbox Rental
    • It's so-so
    • There's no duct tape on Mars to fix this piece of crap
  2. 2. Should I buy Doom or Uncharted 4?

• Doom
    • Uncharted 4
    • Just play Bioshock again

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Well, I still haven't purchased this game (yet), but really....I should take the plunge for August and just get the damn thing. I mean, it's Doom, it's fast, furious, and there's lots of carnage to be had. What's not to like?

I was on the Alpha and Beta program and wasnt that impressed - Ive played every Doom released and couldnt wait for this..............

Having said that I did buy the PC release and really like it. The Campaign is great (SW Battlefront anyone.....) and Im about 50% the way through it. Someone mentioned its not an Explore game but I disagree - it def has its run and gun segments, but when the bad guys are finished off you can do some exploring - there are alot of secrets to work through.

Good purchase for me - I hope they have additional campaign addons at a later date.

"when the bad guys are finished off you can do some exploring"

To me this is what makes me seriously worry about this game. Because on original Doom exploring was a risk reward thing. There was tention every second. Now it seems combat is just shooting monsters, and exploration is just walking around. When the game originally was all about the tension of progression, cause it would always try to throw something unexpected at you.

Not to mention Doom had huge variety, and Doom doesn't seem to have that. (It wasn't me who chose the stupid name, so now deal with it.)

I'll get Doom when it's 10 euros or so. Or for 20 DRM Free if they ever do that.

"when the bad guys are finished off you can do some exploring"

To me this is what makes me seriously worry about this game. Because on original Doom exploring was a risk reward thing. There was tention every second. Now it seems combat is just shooting monsters, and exploration is just walking around. When the game originally was all about the tension of progression, cause it would always try to throw something unexpected at you.

Not to mention Doom had huge variety, and Doom doesn't seem to have that. (It wasn't me who chose the stupid name, so now deal with it.)

I'll get Doom when it's 10 euros or so. Or for 20 DRM Free if they ever do that.

Original DOOM was the same way. There is a set amount of enemies and when they are done you can look around. Makes more sense than trying to find secrets while you are getting shot at. I agree with you on the name. One of my biggest Pet peeves with the entertainment industry is reusing original names. Why not Doom 4??

• Like 1

There was tention every second.

There was literally zero tension if you wiped out the whole floor and then went looking for secrets. It's no different in the new DOOM, except that it has way more secrets than the original DOOM games.

Someone mentioned its not an Explore game but I disagree - it def has its run and gun segments, but when the bad guys are finished off you can do some exploring - there are alot of secrets to work through.

Yeah, it can be really exploratory, or you can ignore it all together and just focus on the combat and stage progression. There are benefits to finding the secrets, but if you are decent at the game they aren't necessary at all. I like that if you want to just blow through the game you can, but if you want to spend time looking for hidden areas, you can too (just like the older DOOM games).

There was literally zero tension if you wiped out the whole floor and then went looking for secrets. It's no different in the new DOOM, except that it has way more secrets than the original DOOM games.

Yeah, it can be really exploratory, or you can ignore it all together and just focus on the combat and stage progression. There are benefits to finding the secrets, but if you are decent at the game they aren't necessary at all. I like that if you want to just blow through the game you can, but if you want to spend time looking for hidden areas, you can too (just like the older DOOM games).

except you can have enemies in the secrets in original doom, and the whole "wiping the floor" is already exploration. Everything in doom is exploration, and except for revisiting an area you were already in every progression in the game has the tension of a possible encounter. It's a different design logic to the act of progressing through the levels.

Edited by leods

Well, I probably didn't get a very good "look" at it from the demo, which was short and sweet, but fun as hell (literally). Probably my perception of the game was colored from other reviews that stated this is a frag fest, pure and simple. I like the fact that there are elements of exploration in it as well. I think I'll have to get this game very shortly.

except you can have enemies in the secrets in original doom, and the whole "wiping the floor" is already exploration. Everything in doom is exploration, and except for revisiting an area you were already in every progression in the game has the tension of a possible encounter. It's a different design logic to the act of progressing through the levels.

Classic DOOM *IS* about progressing through levels (while "exploring" in the process). Of course, once you learn the game and play it repeatedly, that whole exploration aspect loses its luster and it strictly becomes an arcade-style shooter.

• 2 weeks later...

After a week of no playing I finally got some time to play with the girlfriend gone for weekend. So I went to start it and had a message stating I can play in 50 minutes. So I'm like wtf.....check out steam and there is a 12 gig update. That's ridiculous

Modern gaming's great, isn't it?

/sarcasm

• Like 1

It's funny you should mention "modern gaming". How much simpler things were 20 to 30 years ago versus gaming these days. Don't misunderstand me, however. I love the look and feel of games with high-quality graphics and game play, but I have to admit I miss the simple "plug it in then start playing" days. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• Like 1

It's funny you should mention "modern gaming". How much simpler things were 20 to 30 years ago versus gaming these days. Don't misunderstand me, however. I love the look and feel of games with high-quality graphics and game play, but I have to admit I miss the simple "plug it in then start playing" days. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I agree. For me the only platform that I'm ok with it is PC. Primarily because it's been like that for as long as I've been gaming.

It's been an epiphany of sorts for me, seeing how far gaming has come but that old pull for the "good old days" of gaming, such as arcades and the Atari 2600/Intellivision/Colecovision/DOS PC gaming is still there.

Sorry..reminiscing again. :grin:

Bought the other day for £24 ($31.37), which I think was a good deal.

As for the game, visually it's quire stunning, but I'm not yet sold, I think I need to play some more.

Maybe it's because I have been playing 3d shooters since the beginning, and that I also still play the likes of Wolfenstein 3d and Doom on my nVidia shield tablet, but at the moment I feel like this new version (Played on Xbox One btw), lacks the immediacy of the original, each area seems to be too much like a set piece.

It looks very much like Doom 3, something else that I also can now play on my nVidia Shield.

That doesn't mean I don't like it, it just doesn't give me the same feeling that Doom did when I first played the shareware version.

Bought the other day for £24 ($31.37), which I think was a good deal.

As for the game, visually it's quire stunning, but I'm not yet sold, I think I need to play some more.

Maybe it's because I have been playing 3d shooters since the beginning, and that I also still play the likes of Wolfenstein 3d and Doom on my nVidia shield tablet, but at the moment I feel like this new version (Played on Xbox One btw), lacks the immediacy of the original, each area seems to be too much like a set piece.

It looks very much like Doom 3, something else that I also can now play on my nVidia Shield.

That doesn't mean I don't like it, it just doesn't give me the same feeling that Doom did when I first played the shareware version.

Yeah I played the Xbone version at my friends house the other day and wasn't impressed. The textures were bland and had a lot of lod pop up. It also felt zoomed in. Like there was less on the screen than the PC version. It played nice and smooth though. Playing multiplayer was a lot easier too. Seems like the best players use a keyboard and mouse (makes sense).

• Like 1

Yeah I played the Xbone version at my friends house the other day and wasn't impressed. The textures were bland and had a lot of lod pop up. It also felt zoomed in. Like there was less on the screen than the PC version. It played nice and smooth though. Playing multiplayer was a lot easier too. Seems like the best players use a keyboard and mouse (makes sense).

I've played some more over the weekend, and it has got better, but still not what original Doom was like to play. It feels like a bland remake, made just because we can.

The worst part for me is the feeling like all of the campaign levels have been designed as multiplayer from the get go, and just strung together to make a game. Original Doom wasn't like this, it was a proper campaign.

They should have looked at what made original Doom great, and used that recipe. I don't want to have to mess around with weapon and armour add ons, though some are fun :), I want to run and gun, and not feel like the campaign played second fiddle to multiplayer.

I also don't want a chainsaw that runs out of gas after chopping up one bad guy!!

There is definite crossover with Doom 3 in the architecture and textures, but I'm going to be controversial here, out of New Doom and Doom 3, I think Doom 3 is the better game :-o

Original Doom still has it for me. Now where did I put that boomstick....

Can't please everyone, it seems.. :roll:

I guess as a long time Doom player, I have pretty high standards.

For the price I paid, it's not bad, but when you have so much to live up to, you need to pay attention to what made the original great.

I should probably also confess that having played so many FPS's, I was hoping for something special in new Doom, and it just didn't deliver for me.

I'd still buy it, I just wouldn't pay full price :)

You think the campaign was second fiddle to the tacked on multiplayer? Oh and those upgrades are optional. You can ignore them. And the levels are meant to be arena like playgrounds. If it were generic corridors it would have ruined the flow of the run and gun gameplay. The chainsaw only runs out if used on the bigger enemies. It's main purpose is to give you ammo and take down the harder enemies.

• Like 1

I can't comment on multiplayer, I've not tried it yet. Is it that bad?

Look, that is just my opinion, you're entitled to yours. These are MY Doom impressions, given freely and honestly.

It's not a terrible game by any means, and I've played a few crappy 3d shooters over the years, but it just didn't feel like Doom to me.

It just kind of felt like a generic 3d shooter, they could have called it Quake and probably got away with it. I suppose that is next for a reboot.

I still enjoy playing it, and it's got me back onto my Xbox One after a period of it sitting idly, which is good :)

If you enjoy it, then that' great.

I guess as a long time Doom player, I have pretty high standards.

For the price I paid, it's not bad, but when you have so much to live up to, you need to pay attention to what made the original great.

I should probably also confess that having played so many FPS's, I was hoping for something special in new Doom, and it just didn't deliver for me.

I'd still buy it, I just wouldn't pay full price :)

As a long time DOOM fan that still plays the classics and many of the mods, I feel the exact opposite. I feel they nailed the feeling and the game as a whole. Whatever "compromises" were made were for the better and complement the gameplay.

You think the campaign was second fiddle to the tacked on multiplayer? Oh and those upgrades are optional. You can ignore them. And the levels are meant to be arena like playgrounds. If it were generic corridors it would have ruined the flow of the run and gun gameplay. The chainsaw only runs out if used on the bigger enemies. It's main purpose is to give you ammo and take down the harder enemies.

^ Pretty much this.

• Like 1