IGNORED

ABBUC Softwarecompetition 2016

skr

So what is the object of this Monk game? I watched about half the video, and it seems like a simplified 2D version of Mine Craft. Is that what I'm looking at here?

Survive ;)

You're right... Idea came from Notch's "minicraft" (Ludum dare game compo entry coded in two days by him). It's basically minecraft in 2d.

Good news: The magazine and the ASC disks have finally arrived today, so the hot phase of the competition can begin: playing, testing and voting :)! Here's my contribution to this year's contest:

1K ATASCII Blaster

The idea behind this game is already part of its name: how much fun and technical capabilities can one fit into one single, tiny kilobyte? In times where the size of games has risen to many gigabytes, the fun you get from playing them has not necessarily risen the same way. This is probably one of the reasons why retro games have become so popular. But even with those games there is a trend to – relatively moderately – rising demands of memory and hardware add-ons.

In contrast, our Ataris bring with them so many features and gadgets that can be brought to live with just a few commands. So what can one expect from a game of just a mere kilobyte – much less than an empty Word document nowadays consumes? For example, a horizontal scrolling space-shooter in which the landscape is generated on the fly based on the much neglected ATASCII graphical character set. Decorate this with the typical colorful capabilities of the Atari as well as an increasing level of difficulty (from 1000 points onwards it get’s really heavy :)) – here’s 1K ATASCII Blaster!

This game is also meant as a starting point for further developments by the community – because it certainly would be nice if there were some kind of enemies in the ATASCII landscape, or if one could blast away with two players. But for this, 1.000 bytes are not enough even for such a versatile machine as our Atari (and it would be nice if this could be taken into consideration when voting in the contest :)). After the contest, the source code will be freely available so that everyone can add on their own ideas based on the original game.

The instructions for playing thus obviously quite simple: Boot up the game, press fire and shoot away to crack the highscore – and watch out, it’s not enough to clear just one row, as this is still too small for your spaceship, two rows are the minimum :)

Enjoy playing and have fun destroying (respectfully) the ATASCII landscapes!

P.S.: For those who do not have the disks yet, here's a short video showing the gameplay:

post-38620-0-26482000-1475690026_thumb.jpg

Edited by freetz
  • Like 9

BTW: As probably one of the few - if not the only - game produced this year(s), 1K ATASCII Blaster will be available for sale on CASSETTE - loading time is less than 45 seconds, so if you want to give your kids or nephews the idea of how it was loading games before floppy or even harddisks, here's your chance :-)...

Pricing is 9,99 Euros for ABBUC members and 14,99 Euros for non-ABBUC members, plus shipping costs of 2.50 Euros (Germany) or 5.00 Euros (worldwide).

Free B-Side bonus: Floppy Bird (also less than 1kB and 45 seconds loading time :-) )...

Send me an e-mail to midijoy ätt phobotron dott de if you would like to pre-order or get your copy at the ABBUC JHV.

post-38620-0-83054800-1475690328_thumb.jpg

Edited by freetz
  • Like 6

Since RAIN OF TERROR and all of the other awesome ABBUC 2016 contest games are FINALLY available ( :) :) :) !! ), we wanted to show another preview of the physical/box version of the RAIN OF TERROR game that will be available in the near future.

And we want to announce a challenge!!

Now through November 6th, the person with the highest score on RAIN OF TERROR will receive the very first physical/box version of the game!!

Including…

· Numbered RAIN OF TERROR box – ( serial number 0001 )

· Labeled 5 ¼ program diskette

· Full color manual

And as a special BONUS… ( since this is a paddle controller game after all )…

the winner will also receive an actual set of Atari Paddle controllers!!

(don’t worry, shipping is on us too)

post-38281-0-39726100-1475723839_thumb.jpgpost-38281-0-95435100-1475723876_thumb.jpgpost-38281-0-33548400-1475723888_thumb.jpg

Of course you can play on actual Atari hardware or on an emulator ( capturing the mouse as paddle controller works great on Altirra and Atari800win), but we do want a screen shot or digital picture of your best score either way!

Please PM me with your highest score achievement (including screen shot or digital picture) by end of November 6th.

GOOD LUCK !!

• Like 7

If you are an ABBUC member and have an account on www.abbuc.de: MITGLIEDSCHAFT => Downloads.

But I don't see the new issue there yet.

Also, I go to the link you said and I see two sublinks. Download and Public Downloads. I've been all through this thing. I got my membership three years ago and have yet to find the thing I got the membership for in the first place: an archive of the past years ABBUC Software Contest entries. It is deeply frustrating. One of the curators shows up once each year to tell me they haven't gotten around to arranging the site of making the downloads available. C'mon man. Please.

• Like 1

As a member of ABBUC look up the respective special magazines folder:

http://www.abbuc.de/mitgliedschaft/downloads/viewcategory/7-abbuc-sondermagazine

I do not use google translate so I do not know if it comes up in English or any other language.

If you look at the link without being signed in as a member of ABBUC, you'll find a probably a bit misleading text naming "spezielle Mitglieder". It should read "ABBUC-Mitglieder" as a membership is required.

@Pixelmischief:

Someone at ABBUC has to link your login with your membership - not every person registered and logged in is an active ABBUC member.

Then you would have access to previous issues download. In my case I wrote an email to Wolfgang to gain this access.

Oh! This starts to make sense! Thank you for explaining. I'l renew the pay membership and then send an email to Wolfgang to link them. Many thanks!

You'll want to download 3 files to get all the disk images.

Under "Membership", "Downloads" (and then open the "Downloads" folder)...

Then get both special magazine #49 and #50 from the "ABBUC Special Magazine" folder.

And also get magazine #126 from the "ABBUC Magazine folder".

Then you should have everything. That is a LOT.

GOOD TIMES! :-D

• Like 3