IGNORED

ABBUC Softwarecompetition 2016

skr

@StefanD: Does R.o.T also NOT clear the P.M. area ?!?

Yes, same as in d.y.e. - it switches off BASIC, but doesn't clear the RAM under BASIC (which is not cleared when booting with BASIC). This is a bit strange, since the PM area starts at $A000. But never mind, it's started with MyPicoDOS, which clears the RAM under BASIC - so it does run from the ABBUC disk when booting with BASIC.

Lots of good games this year, I'm really impressed - thanks for the contributions to the ABBUC contest. d.y.e. is a new unconventional game idea, The Monk an interesting exploration and building game (I can build new islands now ...) and Dimo is very colorful with lots of items and obstacles. 3 shooters and a quiz about ATARI games and 3 more games - what do you want ever more?

In d.y.e., I mastered level 29 with one move less than allowed (6 moves instead of 7). But now I'm stuck in level 31. There is a small issue - sometimes d.y.e. ignores pressed keys. I'd like to see the name of artist and picture in every level ...

From the applications I tried the PicMaker+Viewer - it's easy to handle and works really good. Unfortunately, interlacing APAC2/CIN modes do not work with modern TVs, only with CRTs ...

In d.y.e., I mastered level 29 with one move less than allowed (6 moves instead of 7). But now I'm stuck in level 31.

Got me! :grin:

L29 was the last level I've created (there is a reason for this, a story worth to be told later). Due to the rather high speckling I've applied here the complexity is high and I stopped my solver program after 5h. - deadline was in sight so I took the best count found till then. My play testers and me weren't able to find a better solution, so I leaved it this way, knowing that less steps won't do any harm.

Due to your achievement I grant you hereby officially the title "Conqueror of dye" - so I'm sure you will also solve L31.

This maybe sounds strange, but I'm glad you can spend some time solving the levels. I was worried the playing time could be to short and after 2h the fun is already over.

There is a small issue - sometimes d.y.e. ignores pressed keys.

I know, like said control scheme needs minor improvements. Please be merciful.

I'd like to see the name of artist and picture in every level ...

You will discover soon the reason why this isn't so... ...at least you know the first name of every artist.

Edit:

Your badge:

post-7778-0-31154300-1476219490_thumb.png

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 2

My Dimo's Dungeon doesn't load :( Red loading screen, text, then display list colour bands but that's it, light then goes off on the drive. 130XE PAL/1050 Drive. [i read that HOLDING IN FIRE WHEN LOADING THE DISK might bypass this bug and it worked!!]

If would be nice to have an ATR with example files for the utilities too :)

ABBUC #126 showed up here in the U.S. today!! Very nice.

40 page ABBUC magazine(wow!) and 24 pro© Atari magazine...and of course the THREE 2-sided disks!

Even though I already downloaded the ATR images and have been playing the games for a while now it is still really cool to see them show up at my doorstep on actual 5.25" floppy disks. It never gets old, does it? :-D

• Like 5

My Dimo's Dungeon doesn't load :( Red loading screen, text, then display list colour bands but that's it, light then goes off on the drive. 130XE PAL/1050 Drive. [i read that HOLDING IN FIRE WHEN LOADING THE DISK might bypass this bug and it worked!!]

Thank you for trying out my BMP to Apac converter!

I have some stuff here that may be useful for you:

Some correctly sized source BMP pictures to save you the hassle of resizing your own photos, the resulting converted pictures in apac and cin mode if you just want to see some results first, then the english and german manual files, and last not least a spreadsheet disclosing the BGP file structure.

The games this year are really absolutely amazing. Dye is a real gem!

BGP-APAC.rar

BGP-CIN.zip

BMP resized.zip

manuals.zip

bgp file format overview.zip

• Like 5

I had exactly the same problem. reason was bad data on the disk. solution was to rewrite the disk from the ATR. now my disk is working fine.

greetings - Mario

• Like 3

Thank you for trying out my BMP to Apac converter!

I have some stuff here that may be useful for you:

Some correctly sized source BMP pictures to save you the hassle of resizing your own photos, the resulting converted pictures in apac and cin mode if you just want to see some results first, then the english and german manual files, and last not least a spreadsheet disclosing the BGP file structure.

The games this year are really absolutely amazing. Dye is a real gem!

Your viewer is really coming along nicely. The hi-res CIN files were a nice surprise.

Hey Stephen, thanks!

How's your PC version of the converter? People have asked why I did a rather slow Atari one.. ;-)

I haven't worked on it in a while, but seeing your new features has given me the motivation to resume it. Also, winter is approaching, so I have alot more indoor time coming up. I'll shoot you a message when I get back into it.

Thanks for the badge, Irgendwer! I'm using it now as avatar :)

I still can't solve level 31. Since only 7 moves are allowed, at most 3 moves can be used to connect all pixels of one color (4 moves are needed to eliminate 4 colors). And I found no way to do this in 3 moves. Is level 31 really solvable?

• Like 2

Thanks for the badge, Irgendwer! I'm using it now as avatar :)

That made me really laugh! Thank you!

I still can't solve level 31. Since only 7 moves are allowed, at most 3 moves can be used to connect all pixels of one color (4 moves are needed to eliminate 4 colors). And I found no way to do this in 3 moves. Is level 31 really solvable?

That makes me really sad: I tried yesterday evening L31 again and I know what you mean. Doesn't look good. Needed 8 steps. I hadn't it so hard in mind, so two possibilities:

* There really is a wrong count (currently my solver runs again to check that, please be patient) and I solved it in 7 steps in a different space-time. Took a screen-shot to let the solver work on, maybe there is a bug in my image decompression routine which leads to this. A single pixel shift can be enough to produce this. If there is a problem, await a patch and my deepest apologies.

* It was late and there is a way. I'll give you a hint then.

I'm really sorry!

SORRY!

I cannot say what went wrong. The level needs 8 steps. I'm quite busy now, but will analyse how this could happen.

Normally I just would provide here a new xex, but since the contest isn't over yet, please find attached a patcher.

(It runs on the Atari - so it is for the audience "system independent". ;) )

Thanks again Stefan for pointing this out. If we ever met I owe you a drink.

I will definitely publish an updated version after the contest with the quirks removed.

Unfortunately I cannot fire my beta-testers. ;)

My son just told me "I haven't played that level in the final version, you told me to go to bed!"

Life...

Thank you in advance for any understanding!

DYEPATCH.ATR

• Like 6

Good thing I wasn't a play tester. I started thinking things were impossible at level 12. I got past that then got stuck at 20. It will be some time before I am needing to run that patch. This is a game though, that my gf & I want to finish, and do not want hints or cheats, so that definitely says something.

• Like 2

Never mind, Irgendwer, since you have provided a patch within only 1 day. Fantastic service! I continued to play and solved the remaining levels. But surprise - you can continue with a very interesting task. I solved this too (it was not easy, since I do not know much about art), but now the next task is really difficult - will need some more tries (but take a look at the level number).

Dye is a fantastic and unusual game! The task at the end is a really good idea - I like this game a lot! And please make more new levels!!!

As every year, I will come to the ABBUC JHV, perhaps you can come also?!?

• Like 2

Dye is a fantastic and unusual game! The task at the end is a really good idea - I like this game a lot! And please make more new levels!!!

As every year, I will come to the ABBUC JHV, perhaps you can come also?!?

Like to hear that your mood didn't suffer from the problem. Like promised in the ABBUC forum one level will be added anyway as an excuse for the faux pas. Further levels? Let's have a look after the compo if others enjoyed the journey through art like you did.

Creating the 48x48 graphics was fun but also quite challenging - esp. if you have playability and complexity in mind and find yourself restricted to that resolution & colour depth.

Some conversions didn't make it into the game and the selection of suitable master pieces was a task on is own. The game wouldn't have the same fun if you had to play mostly with portraits of women.

I will not attend the JHV (I would then have to pay a drink) , I have other duties that weekend.

BTW: I think you have discovered already the Easter egg - haven't you? Look closely!

Thanks for playing & enjoying the game!

• Like 2

I'm stuck at Level 16! That bird is really hard to do. No matter what, at the end there is still one color left... I'll keep trying although I'm beginning to get a bit desperate.. Any hint what colour to begin with and where?

HAAA! yellow the tail first!!! yeah!

Edited by bugbiter
  • Like 1

BTW: I think you have discovered already the Easter egg - haven't you? Look closely!

Yes, I found the Easter Egg (thanks to Google) and just solved it after lots of tries. (Fortunately, I know the artist's name, since I have one of his artworks in my apartment.)

I had problems with level 26, though it's rather easy (if you know how). But the artist of this level is famous for his confusing artworks ...

Note: My Game Space Fortress Omega will only work from a clean boot (power off first), otherwise the title screen shows then it locks up! I'm still developing it further and have some new features and many improvements for a future release.

Disk 49A Atascii Blaster, Get up!, Dye, Rain of Terror, Skyscraper, The Monk

Disk 49B Name This Game

Disk 50A Dimo's Dungeon

Disk 50B Space Fortress Omega

Disk 126A Utilities

Disk 126B Big Mess, Utilities and Instructions for games on Disk 50

:)

If anyone is wondering what they should be doing on Space Fortress Omega (apart from making it to the end of each level) here are some screenshots of the key items:

1. Collect Omega Missiles (fly over them)

post-19705-0-65967800-1476459577_thumb.png

2. Shoot Power Generators (some are just on screen in the abbuc version but in the latest version they are fully encased and there is a protective door that opens and closes from level 3)

post-19705-0-71271500-1476459584_thumb.png

3. Recharge your Energy by flying through the Energy Tunnels

post-19705-0-35093400-1476459594_thumb.png

Still working on a few tweaks and applying some game polish. If anyone finds any bugs or has any suggestions please let me know as I have a few bytes left.

:)

• Like 5

@Irgendwer: OK, this was a misunderstanding. After your hint, I found the Easter Egg immediately. I'll follow its text ;-)

@therealbountybob: I'm sorry, but I didn't understand your game at all - and the manual in the ABBUC magazine doesn't really help. With your explanations I'll give it another try. Some questions:

Are the Omega missiles the orange items in screenshot 1?

Is the Power Generator the left or right entry in the building in screenshot 2?

What do the items in the status line mean, especially the strange characters on the right side?

• Like 2

I tried dye with the touch tablet! It's cool but the game doesn't seem to poll the stylus button. Only the side keys on the tablet are functional.

Yes, like documented. If you wish, I can that improve too. (I've tested with my CMI08 in touch tablet mode where the mouse buttons are paddle compatible to the side buttons of the tablet.)