IGNORED

ABBUC Softwarecompetition 2016

skr

Note for Dimo`s Dungeon:

When in the title screen, press the (Joystick-) firebutton to continue loading ! If you press the Start-key or "any key", the loading screen appears, but alas, it then hangs and does not continue loading... so until a bugfix is available only use the firebutton to continue loading...

Note for Dimo`s Dungeon:

When in the title screen, press the (Joystick-) firebutton to continue loading ! If you press the Start-key or "any key", the loading screen appears, but alas, it then hangs and does not continue loading... so until a bugfix is available only use the firebutton to continue loading...

Yeah... and while bugfixing, some volume check on the title tune would be usefull.

Note for Dimo`s Dungeon:

any tricks to get it to work on NTSC? The fire button trick doesn't seem to work for me on my NTSC hardware. Does the hang thing just like the start key.

Damn it. I am logged in, but I don't think I have access to download the latest magazine :(

This is the (translated) text I get:
This category requires registration to download data to können.Sollten you are already registered, please sign in please. But this category is only for special members.

Yeah... and while bugfixing, some volume check on the title tune would be usefull.

Well,

I am hard hearing (almost deaf) so a volume check does not matter to me !

Besides, I have been told that you have to wait for the title screen to appear in Dimos Dungeon and then press the firebutton to continue loading. If you press the firebutton before the title screen appears or hold it (keep it pressed), the program still hangs... (said the author of QMEG-OS). Bugfix please !

NTSC problem ? Don`t know, have to test this on the emulator, since I don`t have NTSC Ataris...

Damn it. I am logged in, but I don't think I have access to download the latest magazine :(

This is the (translated) text I get:

This category requires registration to download data to können.Sollten you are already registered, please sign in please. But this category is only for special members.

Well,

afaik the Abbuc webpage has a login-bug. You have to go to the login page first, then visit the page (or forum) you want to. If you go to the download page (or forum) first, then do the login, it does not work.

If that also does not help and you still cannot download the ATR images, write an E-Mail to the webpage admin (internetatabbucde) and he will get it going for you...

The translation is almost complete: This category requires a registration to be able to download data. If you are already registered, please sign in. But this category is only for special members (hmm, special members = Abbuc club members).

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

Note: My Game Space Fortress Omega will only work from a clean boot (power off first), otherwise the title screen shows then it locks up! I'm still developing it further and have some new features and many improvements for a future release.

Disk 49A Atascii Blaster, Get up!, Dye, Rain of Terror, Skyscraper, The Monk

Disk 49B Name This Game

Disk 50A Dimo's Dungeon

Disk 50B Space Fortress Omega

Disk 126A Utilities

Disk 126B Big Mess, Utilities and Instructions for games on Disk 50

:)

• Like 2

d.y.e. is simply amazing! Even though I am colourblind, I got through to level 12 on the 1st go through. Like a dumbass, didn't write down any of the level names (passwords). One small thing I noticed though - when not using the keyboard for input, the "attract mode" kicks in.

• Like 2

Yes, the author of d.y.e. forgot to write 0 in ATRACT=77. And he didn't clear the PM area, so you should boot without BASIC or use MyPicoDOS (as on the ABBUC disk). But d.y.e. is a really fascinating game - I reached level 26 so far.

I need some help for "The Monk": I collected lots of items including rock pick, sandbag and bread and I can modify the landscape, but what to do now - what's the goal of the game? The manual doesn't say anything about it - there is also no night as described in the manual?!? And it seems, that "seeds" is a very rare item, right?

In Dimo's dungeon, I reached Level 5, which is quite difficult. Graphics and Sound are really fantastic.

• Like 3

I need some help for "The Monk": I collected lots of items including rock pick, sandbag and bread and I can modify the landscape, but what to do now - what's the goal of the game? The manual doesn't say anything about it - there is also no night as described in the manual?!? And it seems, that "seeds" is a very rare item, right?

I only found clothes using fist on zombies...

I don't find anything else! What am I doing wrong? :dunce:

EDIT

Solved!

• Like 1

d.y.e. is simply amazing! Even though I am colourblind, I got through to level 12 on the 1st go through.

Thanks for the accolade. I'm a bit worried if the game matches "somehow" a common taste, as mine is a bit "different"... (Just compare the "likes" for the title presentation here ("dye" (not "d.y.e." - disk menu is false) only got three likes while the others have more than double the "likes".)

Like a dumbass, didn't write down any of the level names (passwords).

I strongly recommend to write them down. They may be useful later on...!

One small thing I noticed though - when not using the keyboard for input, the "attract mode" kicks in.

Yes, like it did in ECKN... ;) ...all my beta testers (daughter, son, wife) played the game with the stick but made use of the keyboard to short-cut the selection of colours, so that they didn't observe this glitch.

Yes, the author of d.y.e. forgot to write 0 in ATRACT=77. And he didn't clear the PM area, so you should boot without BASIC or use MyPicoDOS (as on the ABBUC disk). But d.y.e. is a really fascinating game - I reached level 26 so far.

Depending on the contest placement I may create a "Special edition" with 15 additional levels, background footage and fixes. I'm also not content with the CX77/CMI08 support (interruption during fills) - that needs to be improved too. I've even prepared a light-pen input, but release was in the end a bit rushed as my dead line was one week earlier while my holiday travel started.

It's maybe interesting, that most implementation work is not in the game itself. I have written a program, which translate a 2D image into a neighbourhood graph. This graph can be read by a further program I've written which estimates the number of reduction/recolouring steps to a single node graph. I've tried several heuristic approaches to speed up the process but didn't find one which fits to all cases. So at the end, I've created a branch & bound solver to find the number of steps. Depending on image complexity this is -on my "not so bad PC"- a task which can take hours for a single image (one need even more than a day!).

Here a sample for such a graph (..._X where X is the colour number):

post-7778-0-68411100-1476007032_thumb.png

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 7

Glad to hear zombies still haven't eaten you ;)

Well, as result of coding game mostly in two weeks before deadline some planned features are not in the compo version you've got... Things like health, attack values, zombie agrresivness and number of them are not thoroughly balanced. Final version that will be released after compo is done will have lot more stuff in and I plan to include you guys in a process so we implement most wanted elements first :)

I wouldn't write any more now as I think it would be kind of spoiler for people who still haven't figured out what to do with acorns or zombie clothes ;)

Enjoy in the game! Coding it brought me lot of fun, hope it'll entertain you to!

• Like 5

Interesting and colorful game, thanks!

I have 18 different items and found out what to do with every item - except flowers. Has the game in the compo version a goal or should I stop playing and wait for the next version?

(Seeds are not rare - I found another way to get seeds.)

I would like to see a faster way for item selection, e.g. typing first letter (repeatedly), using space is rather clumsy, if you have lots of items.

• Like 1

What a fabulous edition of Abbuc Game contest this year. Have had lots of fun so far. Some games have an outstanding quality.

Also some very original concepts this year. DYE is one of these games. I am really surprised by the fun of that game!

And the 'Name that game' game... written in Basic, fabulous graphics and very complete game.

But don't think I do not like the titles I did not mention. I love other titles too a lot!

I can not decide which one is my favorite.

But there is still time for the final vote.

Thanks to all the people involved in this. You really brought some fun to my house and my atari 8bit!

• Like 6

Interesting and colorful game, thanks!

I have 18 different items and found out what to do with every item - except flowers. Has the game in the compo version a goal or should I stop playing and wait for the next version?

(Seeds are not rare - I found another way to get seeds.)

I would like to see a faster way for item selection, e.g. typing first letter (repeatedly), using space is rather clumsy, if you have lots of items.

Well if you've smashed everything you see around and tried every combo and you're still alive with all those zombies around - kudos to you :)

Trust me, whole inventory-crafting system is planned, it's just that I figured it out like a week before deadline that if I make inventory system, I won't have enough time to make actual game ;)

So it came down to "make it work" (which is to press space to change item) and just focus on main game.

Monk V1.4 will have more enemies, better inventory, better crafting and more resources to use. Won't be quick so take your time ;)

I'm extra happy with how the game turned out to be as it is an excellent example of how simple graphics can look good and game with "simple" code can work so well. Plan is to use all lessons learned in this project to make full game maker (as mentioned in one of other topics by me). I will open a separate topic about building The Monk and write all the details about it there.

For devs out there, think about this: as game uses lo-res mode with only 2k for screen it turned out everything works extra fast and my main loop can look like this:

jsr update_world
jsr draw_background
jsr draw_sprites

Simply redraw everything - every frame :)

That means you don't have think about clever scrolling routines, old-position, new-position of sprites, overlapping... Nothing like that. Just update all stuff in the world in one part of code and then draw everything based on data in memory without thinking much.

This simplified coding a lot. Details in separate thread when I find time :)

Cheers and enjoy all the games !!!

ps. Me thinking about next year already :)

• Like 6

In Dimo's dungeon, I reached Level 5, which is quite difficult. Graphics and Sound are really fantastic.

It's my fave (and gf's too) so far. Tonight, we got through Levels 12 through 20. It's definitely addictive.

• Like 1