IGNORED

Adventure - how long is it?

atari2600land

I am making a game sort of akin to Adventure for the Odyssey 2, and I am wondering how long would it take for someone to know what they're doing to complete Adventure for the 2600. I could play it myself, but I have no idea what I would be doing and it would give me an inaccurate length of time, even once I read the manual, which I did. What I'm looking for is a pro at the game to tell me how long it takes for them to complete the game on Level 2. I'm wondering how long I should make my game for the Odyssey 2. I want it to be able to be completed in one sitting, but long enough to not be called too short.

• Like 1

Setting 2 for me depends on how much of a pain in the butt the bat decides to be. I'd say on average it takes me about 15 minutes ish (a large part of that is due to the bat), but it's been a few years and I wouldn't by any means consider myself a pro. Setting 3 is the fun one though.

If you can, make the game longer. Putting a challenge is always good. I'm assuming you're creating a variation or if only 1 option of play, randomness of items and dragons like Adventure level 3 does. Playing level 3 is totally random so if you're lucky enough, you can finish the game in a couple of minutes, or if you get a great randomness, maybe up to 10 minutes. Also, hopefully you create a game that can be finished each time. I remember some times that games couldn't be finished because keys were locked in their own castles from the start. Good luck with this. I probably would be interested in a copy when you're all done. Adventure is probably my favorite game for the 2600.

Phil

So i'm guessing judging by these times, no one else was after the easter egg? I considered it beat when i got the grail just outside the castle, then went and got the easter egg. different strokes for everyone I suppose.

That's correct. Getting the easter egg would have added another couple minutes for sure.

So i'm guessing judging by these times, no one else was after the easter egg? I considered it beat when i got the grail just outside the castle, then went and got the easter egg. different strokes for everyone I suppose.

I guess they figured timing with respect to the official way to win, which is fair enough. But I agree there's more than one way to play the game, which adds to its appeal. Its certainly one of the first sandbox games, if not the first.

I'd sometimes try to stack *all* of the objects I could into the easter egg room, to see how badly I could make the game flicker. Grabbing the bat and forcing it to trade objects, you can even drop the dead dragons in there. Good times. :)

• Like 1

Tried that a few times, my favorite was doing it all without the sword, or only using the sword outside the gold castle. Used to call it the Monty Python version "Run Away!!!" (just remembered how I always figured the sword was a spear, but everyone else i knew insisted it was a sword) Those Dragons got crazy as heck if you let to many get in one area.

• Like 1