IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

2 hours ago, leech said:

Ha, I do kind of like things that are broken.  Like I have spent the last few weeks trying to figure out why the PPC keeps crashing in my Amiga... instead of just using the Vampire standalone...

I don't mean to derail this thread but how do you like the Standalone Vampire, it is worth getting?  It is good value for your money? Is is good and stable?  How is the compatibility with classic Amiga games?

I have been following it but I have not met anyone who owns one and I am tempted to get one but did not know if the time was right to strike.

Thank you for any insight!  I have a few Amiga (500s-600-1200-CD32) and they are all in storage but would love to get the "Ultimate" Amiga if possible.

On 8/5/2021 at 11:11 PM, Guitari said:

Ok, I've downloaded and installed the latest firmware- I've imported .cdi files etc. into a 'Jag CD' subfolder but I don't see the files where am I going wrong?!

Wrong file format! Your CD games have to be jcd format. Either convert them or download complete official (plus some Betas, homebrews) CD collection incl. mrq files from archive.org using Bittorrent link. ?

• Like 1

Sorry to sound thick here but I put my name down on the waiting list back in March and have never received any email other than the original acknowledgement.

So, can these actually be bought now from the Atariage.com store? I had asked if you ship / how much to ship to UK and if these carts would be compatible with my PAL Jaguar but never got an answer.

I will gladly buy one but need to know if it will work first.

Help appreciated ?

5 hours ago, Zap1982 said:

So, can these actually be bought now from the Atariage.com store? I had asked if you ship / how much to ship to UK and if these carts would be compatible with my PAL Jaguar but never got an answer.

If you're in the UK then use either a UK or EU distributor.

https://www.retrohq.co.uk/products/atari-jaguar-gd-flash-cartridge

There are some in stock at DragonBox. I *think* they can still ship to the UK as the JagGD is above the threshold for the whole VAT-at-source crap which has come into effect.

On 8/9/2021 at 12:27 PM, SainT said:

If you're in the UK then use either a UK or EU distributor.

https://www.retrohq.co.uk/products/atari-jaguar-gd-flash-cartridge

There are some in stock at DragonBox. I *think* they can still ship to the UK as the JagGD is above the threshold for the whole VAT-at-source crap which has come into effect.

That's great, thanks for this info. I will check it out

On 8/5/2021 at 9:39 PM, imstarryeyed said:

I don't mean to derail this thread but how do you like the Standalone Vampire, it is worth getting?  It is good value for your money? Is is good and stable?  How is the compatibility with classic Amiga games?

I have been following it but I have not met anyone who owns one and I am tempted to get one but did not know if the time was right to strike.

Thank you for any insight!  I have a few Amiga (500s-600-1200-CD32) and they are all in storage but would love to get the "Ultimate" Amiga if possible.

For gaming, it's fine.  For applications that don't require special hardware, also fine.  It is rather picky on keyboards / mice that work with it.  They seem to be updating it quite frequently.  It just doesn't 'feel' like an Amiga to me though, and feels the same as say a MiSTer or MiST does, where it's just a little box that you plug whatever keyboard into it.  Though I did make an adapter so I could use the original A4000 keyboard, so that makes it a tad better :)  It is fast, I'll give it that much.  I think if all you want to do is play old games, a MiST/MiSTer is probably better.  If you want to play some of the newer ports and such (which I mean sure it's cool to be able to run ScummVM on an Amiga, but you can run that anywhere) then it's pretty decent for that too.  It's still missing some stuff from the perspective of what one would expect from having a 68060 (trying to remember if it's the MMU or FPU it still lacks). 

It does make it pretty nice to be able to use an HDMI screen though.

6 hours ago, nabuk said:

hi im on firmware 1.09 i think its the latest one i can load regular game no prob but none of my cd game work they are all in .jcd format im using a 32gb samsong eco card format in fat 32 any idea why they wont load thank you

You should go read this thread for all of the information you could possibly want on Jag CD support. It is also a better place to address any issue you have with it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bmadgames said:

Is there an ETA on when the next batch will be available in the US? 

It will be around 6-8 weeks assuming parts can be sourced at a reasonable price. I'm just taking a little time to sort out potential issues thrown up by the current worldwide component shortage to ensure there are no production issues.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Eurgh, that's ridiculous. :(

If whoever is bidding on that is reading this, there is a small batch of carts hitting euro / uk retailers in the next week. Don't waste your money like that, just spend the little extra on postage. :(

I've been sorting out my test hardware and having some fun with my new rework microscope fixing issues with boards which didn't get past QA the first time this last week. I'm close to the point there are not even any faulty boards left! Thankfully now I have some test gear I can see about getting some more produced.

I had some considerable QA issues with parts sourced for NGP carts due to the amazingly frustrating component shortage, which has forced me to move testing to the fab house. If this has happened on the JagGD it would have been an absolute nightmare, so I've had to delay even considering getting more made until I had testing in place over at the fab. This is now just about there, so I get the luxury of paying inflated prices for parts! Woo!

I've just been absorbing the extra cost myself (this has been going on a while!), so it won't make any odds to the customer on pricing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Humanzee said:

Actually, cost difference after looking at shipping/tax/etc probably isn't much more than $30, not a big deal if you can't wait (and I just can't!).  And also being mindful of what it might have cost if you passed on the component prices... so, Thanks!!!!

I hope that place is legit cause I just gave them a lot of money and I waived a bunch of alerts from my bank card for ordering over sea again

2 hours ago, Humanzee said:

Actually, cost difference after looking at shipping/tax/etc probably isn't much more than $30, not a big deal if you can't wait (and I just can't!).  And also being mindful of what it might have cost if you passed on the component prices... so, Thanks!!!!

Also yeah I think the conversion came out to $205 US after everything. Now we just gotta wait 2 weeks...

huh... $205 total? Maybe there was a cheaper shipping option I missed....

Yeah same, my bank assured me I was committing fraud too. But I've done some serious pay and pray lately, to some internet rando for a custom retro item here and there; This is a real site, RetroHQ links these folks, no fear here.

Edited by Humanzee
  • Thanks 1