IGNORED

Putting DDP Images back onto DDP's

Milli V

How can I go about putting a DDP image back on to a DDP? It is 256k so wont fit on a disk. Iam assuming that on the pc you split it into 2 images and then on the adam you have a program that reads one image then the other but not sure - am sure there is some way since they got off the adam :)

Bill

Correct...you split the ddp image in two, copying the first 160 blocks to one disk image and the remainder to a second disk image. Then you transfer the disk images to real disks and recombine them on your ADAM.

There is actually a program to aid you in doing this, but I will have to look for it.

How can I go about putting a DDP image back on to a DDP? It is 256k so wont fit on a disk. Iam assuming that on the pc you split it into 2 images and then on the adam you have a program that reads one image then the other but not sure - am sure there is some way since they got off the adam :)

Bill

Here is the program you run on the ADAM to do a ddp to disk transfer.

Whoops....this may be corrupt...I'll see if my original boots up...

EDIT: OK, not corrupt. It just didn't like the CF/IDE version of ADAMem I had installed. Here also is the .zip with all the files in it.

Bill

ADAMem Tape Converter (1996) (Marcel de Kogel).dsk

adam tape.zip

Edited by jblenkle
  • Like 1

Correct...you split the ddp image in two, copying the first 160 blocks to one disk image and the remainder to a second disk image. Then you transfer the disk images to real disks and recombine them on your ADAM.

There is actually a program to aid you in doing this, but I will have to look for it.

If you could let me know what it is I would be greatful!

Marcel de Kogel (author of Adamem) released a utility to work with DDPs in just such a matter as you need, but...

It's just as easy to split the DDP images into two 160K disk images (keeping track of the blocks locations), transfer the two disk images to Adam disks and then recombine them on a DDP on the Adam using File Manager v3.x.

Speak for yourself!!! I always screw it up when I try to do it that way.

Marcel de Kogel (author of Adamem) released a utility to work with DDPs in just such a matter as you need, but...

It's just as easy to split the DDP images into two 160K disk images (keeping track of the blocks locations), transfer the two disk images to Adam disks and then recombine them on a DDP on the Adam using File Manager v3.x.

Really? interseting

EASY PEAZY. Niad's way works great as long as you have filemanager or equivelent block copy program. Just make sure to keep your block#'s straight; if not, yougot a mess like Joe says. Absolute easiest for DDP to DDp is Filemanager, EasyCopy or other and just use the copy media program inside of it. The only thing important is to trade DDP's when the program asks you to put in original or copy DDP.

What I usually do when I have a DDP Image File on the PC that I want to transfer to a real ADAM data pack is:

Method #1:

If I know that the number of used blocks on the DDP image file is less than 160K, I use Virtual ADAM but do not mount any image files and do not boot into the Adamem emulator. You can use Virtual Adam's built in options to convert the selected DDP Image File into a DISK Image File and even have the blocks free recalculated if you want, but you will be placing this image file onto a real DDP eventually, so why bother. Then transfer this new DISK image file to an Adam disk using DCOPY. From there, use a good copy program (File Manager by AJM Software is the best and it comes free with the IDE CF Card Package) to copy the disk contents to a data pack.

It's getting late and will continue tomorrow.

Edited by NIAD

Is there not a BIN to WAV converter available like for the Atari Starpath Supercharger?

Guess it might take a little longer to just play the audio file and record it to tape on an audio deck using the headphone jack, but could be of benefit to those without a coveted disk drive for the Adam, much less a 5.25" floppy on their PC still! :)

I really don't what to de-rail the topic, but I've noticed that cassette tapes are making a comeback. I'm only mentioning it, because it might be possible to produce new homebrew DDP's program/games. I know a standard cassette is not 100% the same as a true DDP, but I would think it would be possible to use a cassette as a DDP. Not to mention you can order blank cassette tapes (type II) in any time length. I'm only saying this because it looks as if more and more Adam's are getting their DDP drive repaired.

I've been making my own DDP's out of cassettes with no issues since 1986. :) The Sony HF60 was always my tape of choice (was already in use by a lot of the community by the time I learned how). To use one as a DDP, you simply need to drill two holes on the B side of the tape just under the write-protect tabs, then format it with the necessary audio track (I used a dual cassette deck and just copied an existing DDP).

• Like 1

I've been making my own DDP's out of cassettes with no issues since 1986. :) The Sony HF60 was always my tape of choice (was already in use by a lot of the community by the time I learned how). To use one as a DDP, you simply need to drill two holes on the B side of the tape just under the write-protect tabs, then format it with the necessary audio track (I used a dual cassette deck and just copied an existing DDP).

Cool, Thanks for the info. I just found this article that describes the same thing for anyone who wants a more detailed explanation:

http://www.theadamresource.com/manuals/Modifications/Audio%20Cassette%20Tape%20to%20a%20DDP%20Pack.htm

Cool, Thanks for the info. I just found this article that describes the same thing for anyone who wants a more detailed explanation:

http://www.theadamresource.com/manuals/Modifications/Audio%20Cassette%20Tape%20to%20a%20DDP%20Pack.htm

I was thinking about this more.

If there is a need for more blank DDP's, it would be very easy to make them if one was to use a "stereo 4 bay high speed tape duplicator". You can purchase high quality bulk tape in a 29 or 30 minute length. Since a stereo tape duplicator records all four track of a cassette at the same time, the DDP's tracks will automatically be lined up (no flipping the tapes like you do normally). One would just need to drill holes in the new cassettes so it fits in the DDD. Tape duplicators range in price from $100.00 to $500.00 (used of course since I don't believe they are made new anymore). You can try ebay for them. Again, the trick is, the duplicators must be "stereo" duplicators.

Edited by pboland
  • Like 1

The best quality cassettes to use from our experiences BITD were the Sony HF-60 brand.

Yes, Murph74 also stated this a couple of posts up. However Sony HF-60 (as far as I know) is no longer manufactured any different from any other high quality tape. My understanding there is only one company in the USA that still makes bulk cassettes. All of their equipment processes tape at high speed. By the 1990's Type II high bias tape was the standard (and for good reason). Type II tape is a more robust tape material and I'm sure would work very well with the Adam's DD Drives. After all those tapes are designed to work in high speed tape duplicators. Heck, standard bulk Type II 60 min (30 per side) tapes are only $0.56 each when purchasing at least 100 and you can choose the color of the shell. If you are willing to buy 1,000 tapes at a time you can get them at 29 minutes per side, which is a heck of a lot closer to the original DDP's. Here's a link:

http://nationalaudiocompany.com/731-Music-Grade-Tabs-Out-Cassettes-in-Color-Shells-P4316.aspx

I'm just putting it out there for those who might want to consider new blank DDP's or for software homebrewers.

• Like 2

If you are willing to buy 1,000 tapes at a time you can get them at 29 minutes per side, which is a heck of a lot closer to the original DDP's. Here's a link:

I'm just putting it out there for those who might want to consider new blank DDP's or for software homebrewers.

Incredible find Phil! Thanks for sharing this pertinent info. I think it'd be a novelty to create new, cool, reproduction DDPs with unique plastics. (FTFY).

Incredible find Phil! Thanks for sharing this pertinent info. I think it'd be a novelty to create new, cool, reproduction DDPs with unique plastics. (FTFY).

Thanks!, I've actually known about bulk cassette tapes and the colored shells since the late 90's. I used to be more into audio production (multitrack audio recording/tape/CD duplication). The best part about DDP's is that cassette tapes are still being made new (and they're affordable) for new software, unlike 5.25 floppy disks.

I assume I will being seeing some really cool Adam DDP's from you in the future? :)