IGNORED

Antonia 4MB Operational Questions

Larry

Many years later....I have my antonia up and running.  I think I may have reported a failed install last time I tried, I don't recall.

But, the main issue beyond user error, is it didn't really fit in the 800xl case, there was some modding of the keyboard, getting a low profile socket to simultaneously raise it above one chip and carefully clipping the pins to get it just low enough to close the case.

Having trouble finding a lot of docs on it though.  I downloaded the ant17.zip form here. Thanks.  I get into a configurator screen. I turned on 128K XE and linear ram.

I found only one rom on drac030 called XLOS816.ROM, but all that does is say err 136 when I try to load it. 

Does anyone know where you get the images to use it in 816 mode?

Thanks

p.s. if anyone has the original docs, that may set me in the right direction.  I see that you can potentially set 8 rom sockets, but I don't see how you ever select the os rom that you want to boot from anywhere.

Looks like the option key is broken on this machine, so that won't work for disabling basic.  I have another keyboard but it has a massive metal shield, which won't work with the space available..  Bummer, anyway, if i get the directions it'll help me for later...thanks in advance.

Edited by Dmitry

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I found only one rom on drac030 called XLOS816.ROM, but all that does is say err 136 when I try to load it. 

Seems to work here. Maybe the *.ROM file you are trying to load is broken? Or provide steps to reproduce (incl. DOS you are using - if this is MyDOS, then you have to use a patched version).

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

if anyone has the original docs, that may set me in the right direction.

All the docs is the README.TXT file included in the original archive on my website.

On 12/11/2020 at 9:05 PM, drac030 said:

Seems to work here. Maybe the *.ROM file you are trying to load is broken? Or provide steps to reproduce (incl. DOS you are using - if this is MyDOS, then you have to use a patched version).

All the docs is the README.TXT file included in the original archive on my website.

Dude, thanks for all your help, we are having a communications misunderstanding that may be my fault.

So in order to not cause any offense, allow me to very formally avoid any misunderstanding

1) I'm very appreciative of your help

2) I'm not complaining

3) I do not wish you to think I'm asking you for further help

But I have a question that has a simple answer, I do not want my question to become unanswered becasue of this "RTM" response.

From my perspective it was quite the logic puzzle, to obtain an un-arc program for my mac.  To then get a readme.txt that doesn't have readable eol on my Mac, to use regex expressions to replace the EOL characters, to then read the document, which still does not answer my question.

That's fine.

Anyone that has used the product can answer this in 5 seconds, if someone else, will just tell me, how do you select the slot that you want to use?

Thanks

Btw, in case it helps anyone, here is the readme.txt that I have read, what I see here is the ant.exze configuration.  What I'm asking about, is after I have a few configured, how do I select them later?  How do I select the one that I would use?

README.TXT:

Antonia 4 MB Configuration software

This program allows you to configure the Antonia 4 MB extension, i.e. choose one of the 8 available ROMs to serve as the OS and BASIC, and one of the 16 available RAM setups.

General characteristics
-----------------------
Apart from the usual RAM extensions handled by the PORTB register, that is:
) none
2) 130XE - separate access for CPU and ANTIC
3) Karen 192k - separate access for CPU and ANTIC
4) Rambo 256k
5) Rambo 320k
6) Compy Shop 576k - separate access for CPU and ANTIC
7) Rambo 1088k

the Antonia also offers two less usual options:

8) Axlon 2 MB or Axlon 4 MB

9) 2 or 3 MB linear RAM for the on-board 65C816 CPU

The Axlon implementation on XL/XE slightly differs from what is known on 400/800. On the original Axlon for the 400/800, due to partial address decoding, the controlling register occupies the areas $0FC0-$0FFF and $CFC0-$CFFF. On XL/XE the register is located only at $CFFF; moreover, it is available only when PORTB bit 0 is set to 1 - or in other words, when the system ROM is on.

The Axlon extension can be used in SpartaDOS X just the same way as the regular PORTB extension is usually used there, i.e. for system code, ramdisks and such.

The size of the Axlon and linear areas are dependent on each other: there is 4 MB RAM to share, so if you want both enabled, each one will occupy 2 MB. When you disable the linear, the entire memory will get assigned as the Axlon RAM.

The linear RAM is accessible using the new (to 6502) addressing modes provided by the CPU. The flasher uses this memory to buffer the ROM contents before flashing. When the Axlon 4 MB was selected, the flasher cannot enable the linear RAM without remapping the banked extension, and this may be destructive for any data possibly already residing there (as ramdisks, resident drivers and so on). This is why in this case you will be asked to switch the memory configuration manually before proceeding.

Again, the linear RAM may be used as ramdisk under SpartaDOS X.

NOTE: the presence of the linear RAM past the first 64k proved to cause some compatibility problems with some software. The most known program which has a problem with that is MyDOS. If you experience that, please either use a patched version of the program (MyDOS 4.55p) or switch the linear memory off.

Using the ANT.EXE setup program
-------------------------------

The program allows you to select RAM and ROM configurations as shown above. It also contains the flasher, which enables you to change the ROM contents.

The ROM is split in 8 slots; each slot contains two separate areas: one for the OS and another one for the BASIC. Initially all slots are preprogrammed with XL/XE OS (rev. 1.03) and Atari BASIC rev. C.

The ROM is generally divided into two halves. Each half contains these 8 slots, which makes 16 slots. But only one half is programmable. The other half is provided for easy recovery in case of bad flash. You swap the halves using the jumper provided on the Antonia board.

The preprogrammed contents will be displayed as "XL OS 1.03" (in the configuration menu) and "BASIC rev. C" (= Atari BASIC version C).

If a slot contains something different, both menus will by default display its checksum code in hex. As of ANT version 1.2 these checksums are calculated by the ANT.EXE program, it will not rely on precomputed OS checksums.

As of ANT version 1.6 a second binary is provided which computes CRC-16 instead of checksums. This is more reliable, but slower, e.g. the initial ROM scan takes about 6 seconds in the CRC-version and about 2 secs. in the checksum version.

Also as of ANT version 1.6 the program allows to assign arbitrary names to the slot contents and store them in a disk file which will be loaded at next startup.

Using the flasher
-----------------

The following information is (strongly) based on the AtariAge post made by Larry (many thanks!).

1) Make an ATR (or disk, or folder on the disk) using either SDX or MyDOS or any other favourite DOS, to hold ANT.EXE.

2) put there the OS ROM files and BASIC ROM files that you want to use.

3) Load the ANT.EXE without BASIC. Under SDX you should use the X.COM command to execute the program (or have the COMEXE extension loaded).

4) When loaded, the program will show you the current settings. The square brackets show which ROM pair is currently active. (Note: you are always using the OS/BASIC pair - you do not pick and choose separately). On this same screen, the type of Atari expanded memory is shown in highlighted inverse: this is the cursor.

5) Initially all slots are filled with the same default ROMs: XL OS 1.03 + BASIC rev. C.

6) If you want to change a slot, press "F": this takes you to the next screen showing all the slot pairs #0 - #7. Note that the slot that is currently active will have the "#" highlighted.

7) Use the up/down cursor keys to highlight the slot you want to change. For example, let us say that you want to change the OS in slot number #3.

8) Press "L" - and the program asks, if you want to load an "O" 10k OS ROM (400/800), "X" 16k OS ROM (XL/XE) or "B" BASIC. Let us say that you want to change the OS ROM to Omnimon XL.

9) Press "O" and the program will show you the contents of the current drive/folder (under SDX) or D1: (under other DOS-es). The OS and BASIC images you want to use should already be there. You must have previously put "OMNIMON.ROM" to that place.

10) Note that the file selector allows you to change drives (press 1-9 or A-O) and navigate through subdirectories, so if it does not show the ROMs at first, do not panic.

11) Use the cursor keys to highlight the desired file and press Return. The program will immediately load that file into the proper buffer position in memory. (Note: nothing has been flashed thus far, this is just replacing the #3 position contents in the buffer).

12) Press Return to go back to the previous screen that shows the slot pairs.

13) The slot you changed shows the name of the file just loaded. This information will be stored into the info file, but you can change it to arbitrary name (up to 16 characters). To do so, press E, then type "Omnimon XL" and press Return.

14) It will as you about the BASIC in the slot. If you do not want to change its name, just press Return.

15) Repeat steps 9-14 if you want to change something else. Maybe you also want to insert Altirra BASIC into the same slot #3?

16) When you have everything you want loaded into the buffer, then press "F" (Flash All).

17) The program saves the info file then flashes *ALL* the buffer contents. It will reboot the computer afterwards.

18) At any time, use Escape to take you back, aborting whatever you were doing. Of course, do not try to abort while the program is actually flashing.

Restoring factory defaults
--------------------------

It is possible to restore the ROM's factory default state without reloading tiresomely the slot contents one by one. The procedure is this:

1) using the jumper (or switch), put the board into recovery mode,

2) power up the computer,

3) load the configuration tool,

4) press "F" to go to the flasher menu,

5) when the message "This ROM is protected. Accept it anyways?" appears, press "Y" to confirm,

6) let the program buffer the ROM contents,

7) select "Flash all",

8) when the message "Toggle the switch..." etc. appears, put the board back into the flashing mode using the jumper (or switch).

The program will then flash the flashable portion of the ROM with the buffer contents and reboot.

Have fun,
KMK/DLT
Warszawa 19 X 2020

13 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I think I may have the answer.   So, you   load ANT.EXE.  You put brackets around the one you want to choose, hit Enter.

Then Accept.  

Yes.  And hit your TAB key to get to the different sections. Don't forget to save your ID file too.

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

So in order to not cause any offense

Dude, I am not so easily offended as some. If my answer is not satisfactory or there is clearly a misunderstanding, you can clearly state that wihout going into lengthy preambles.

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

You put brackets around the one you want to choose, hit Enter.

Then Accept.  

Yes, you use TAB to select the appropriate section of the menu, then use cursors to select the appropriate position, then you hit Return (twice) to confirm.

I will put this information into the README file.

Edited by drac030

2 hours ago, drac030 said:

Dude, I am not so easily offended as some. If my answer is not satisfactory or there is clearly a misunderstanding, you can clearly state that wihout going into lengthy preambles.

Yes, you use TAB to select the appropriate section of the menu, then use cursors to select the appropriate position, then you hit Return (twice) to confirm.

I will put this information into the README file.

oh good, I don't know, I just try to be careful!

woot!

Thanks all, another problem solved.....

• 6 months later...
On 12/13/2020 at 11:37 AM, Dmitry said:

Restoring factory defaults
--------------------------

[…]

7) select "Flash all",

8) when the message "Toggle the switch..." etc. appears, put the board back into the flashing mode using the jumper (or switch).

Hi, could you help me understand this part? I don’t know what switch I need to toggle. This is the Antonia board revision I have on my Atari 600XL:

0276CABD-54A3-42F4-A9C5-93E7B2FA25A4.thumb.jpeg.23bcdaf03611dbb96469b420e32f3571.jpeg

It’s the ROM jumper that is removed to put Antonia in recovery mode? I should put it back in place while Atari is still turned on and waiting at the “Toggle switch…” prompt?