IGNORED

Most crazy prices you have seen......?

Were they factory sealed?

That's their claim. They were both in their respective boxes and shrink wrapped. There was a line of 4 or 5 games like this on display, which also included Contra. Though, I can't remember how much they were charging for that game.

That's their claim. They were both in their respective boxes and shrink wrapped. There was a line of 4 or 5 games like this on display, which also included Contra. Though, I can't remember how much they were charging for that game.

Assuming that they were actually factory sealed and in mint condition, that Zelda II price is not bad at all in comparison the massive sealed NES prices I've seen on eBay. I thought you means loose carts.

Edited by KreatorKat

LOL you can't leave information out like that. Now everything thinks you walked into a dumb game store who wanted $700 for a cart only Mario and $250 for a cart only Zelda. Factory sealed those prices are normal depending on condition.

I just sold my sealed Mario private sale for $520 money order. Mine had a small tear in the shrink where y-fold met seam or else it would have got me $700 all day. I sold my Gold Zelda last year for $125 local sale cash but it had some very loose shrink and was bulged on bottom or else $250 would not have been unheard of.

The problem with local game stores are most don't fully understand how condition affects prices especially on sealed games and they don't want to listen to anyone. They see this sealed game sold for $700 so there beat up crap is worth that as well. They also lack the knowledge to tell real vs. resealed most of the time.

Craziest prices recently would be $700 for an original halo Xbox in box. Supposedly it was new. Who cares. It's an Xbox. They're used as door jams for gods sake. This was at a local gaming store. It cycles between their three locations, desperately finding a sucker to pay their asking price. 700 must be their favorite number as they wanted that much for a tattered in box earthbound. This is the same store that has a worker who thinks the Xbox one is dead, the S is a streaming box only, and destiny is taking down their servers forever this week. I.e. Lacking any sense.

They often have things for ultra cheap as well, so that's the only reason to stop in. Otherwise it's good for a laugh. They're the people who were "accidentally" selling bootleg turbo cd games at high end retail price, as if they were legit copies.

Goodwill though, I agree, has been terrible as of late. I've gotten some good deals, but mostly all they have are beaten up systems with no controllers or cords going for top tier eBay prices. They wanted 65 for a ps2 no controller or cords, and 89 for a white wii, no nunchuck or ir bar.

"$50 + shipping for a USB with ROMs downloaded on it: "10,000 classic games! Play them all for only $50!" Crazy only because a single google search could lead you to find that every game on it is available for free. (craigslist)"

-I think I have seen this. If not this ad, it was one very, very similar. Laughable.

I've seen hardware clones (Power Joy III...N64 controller style Famiclone) marked at like $60 one time at a mall kiosk. I was intrigued, because I knew what it was, until I saw the price. Laughed and walked away. Some clones may be worth that... an NOAC is not.

Saw a Power Games penguin clone at a VV... they wanted $20. That might not sound too crazy, but I bought mine for $3. So, while not super expensive, it is still several times over.

Jack Nicklaus Golf for $10. No. Mario/Duck Hunt at $25? Share what you're smoking, because it must be good. That's about the most common game, ever. One of the VV near me puts anything game related behind a counter immediately, and always has a high price on it. Makes me wonder why I bother anymore. Saw a Genny...$20. I was grabbing multiples of them for $5, and complete with extras (like a Power Base Converter) for $10 not too long ago. I had so many Genesis decks I was giving them away at one point. Lol.

I think we've all seen some goofy stuff at this point.

Saw a Genny...$20. I was grabbing multiples of them for $5, and complete with extras (like a Power Base Converter) for $10 not too long ago. I had so many Genesis decks I was giving them away at one point.

Man, I sure wish I could find a Geneis for $20! I've been looking for a model 1 in nice shape (no scratching on the top and such) for a while now and I can't even find beat up ones that look like someone dropped a stack of bricks on them for less than $40, online or locally. Sadly I get the impression that a lot of stuff that seems crazy in price is really just worth more these days.

That is possible. It's just that a few years ago, it was possible to snap them up cheap cheap. I probably should have mentioned that the Genny didn't appear to have any of the necessary cables, power brick, or controllers... just the deck. Would I pay $20 or so for a clean Genny with everything needed to plug in and go? Yeah, probably. For a deck that is probably untested... pass. Lol.

It's part of that "the market has changed" thing, combined with "wait, you guys got this given to you..." Lol.

Man, I sure wish I could find a Geneis for $20! I've been looking for a model 1 in nice shape (no scratching on the top and such) for a while now and I can't even find beat up ones that look like someone dropped a stack of bricks on them for less than $40, online or locally. Sadly I get the impression that a lot of stuff that seems crazy in price is really just worth more these days.

I just sold 3 models 2's w/a game at my yard sale a few weeks ago. I still have more systems for sale and some model 1's. I usually charge $25 for a model 1 unless it is non tmss. However shipping those add so much to the cost that you have to ask damn near $50 to ship them these days.

I just sold 3 models 2's w/a game at my yard sale a few weeks ago. I still have more systems for sale and some model 1's. I usually charge $25 for a model 1 unless it is non tmss. However shipping those add so much to the cost that you have to ask damn near $50 to ship them these days.

I can ship a complete console system with one game from the west coast all the way to the east coast using priority mail in a 12x12x8 box for under $20 right around $17 and some change.

Edited by thadsilverfox

I can ship a complete console system with one game from the west coast all the way to the east coast using priority mail in a 12x12x8 box for under $20 right around $17 and some change.

Exactly my point. even at $17 and pp fees you are practically paying double what I charge for a local pickup. It would be like $45 which is practically $50 compared to $25.

I am actually surprised to find that the Genesis goes for that much at all now. For some reason that console seems to be the exception to this thread, in Wisconsin at least. It was not too long ago I seemed to be tripping over them at Goodwill. They are certainly not common these days but when I do see them they seem to be very cheap, only in the thrift stores mind you. When I see them at retro game stores they're like $30. Actually a little while back a goodwill here had one in the case for $19.99. It actually didn't sell and about a week later I saw it sitting on a shelf at a reduced price on $9.99. It was console only nothing else. It's wierd around here grey is the color of gold to these stores. If it's grey its going to be overpriced. Any other color you may have a shot at a deal.

Edited by Dripfree

Jack Nicklaus Golf for $10. No. Mario/Duck Hunt at $25? Share what you're smoking, because it must be good.

I went to a retro store recently that was selling Jack Nicklaus Golf for $10 loose. Out of the 100+ NES games they had, that was the cheapest. Most of the "common" games that you could get anywhere, like Bases Loaded, SMB/Duck Hunt, etc. were $15-20 and up!!!

Hell, they had Combat for the 2600, one of the cheapest, most common games in existence for anything, for $8.

I walked right out of that place laughing!

Ok to be fair my local game store does not differentiate between differences in systems typically.

Genesis $35 with hookups and one controller whatever model you want.

Sega CD $89 model one or 2 same deal.

SNES ans SNES mini $69 either way with hookups and controller.

But then again because we have those stores and pawn shops very little ends up at Goodwill that I have been able to find unless you want ever copy of Madden ever made.

But that same local store does have Subterrania by Imagic for $30 and Fire Emblem Path of Radiance for Gamecube for $110 missing manual.

Fair prices? Eh.

• 4 weeks later...