IGNORED

Qix strategies?

Amityville315

its funny i was never familiar with qix when it came out i later played versions of it called stix and volified

i too do the skinny column with like 10 steps to the top then complete the major fill with the slow button for max points then do the split the qix till i think about the 8x times cause after that it goes back to 1xmultiplier

the little sparx are annoying buggers i will often chase one that way i only am being chased by the other instead of both

At the start of the round, draw two skinny vertical boxes. They don't have to be very tall. One has to be off center to the left, and the other has to be off center to the right. They should both be the same size and the same distance from the center, because you'll want both sparx to take the same amount of time to move around both.

Stay on the inside (center) of one of the two towers you've created. When the sparx on that side is about to hit you, start drawing a line over to the other tower. You should barely miss running into the other sparx as it moves down to the edge. While the sparx are at the bottom of the box you've just drawn, move up to the top of the tower you're on and draw another box across to the top of t he other tower.

When you're done, you should have two wide boxes bracketed on the left and right by skinny towers. If you've done this correctly, the two sparx will be trapped on the bottom box and out of your way.

Move to the top of the screen. Draw a similar structure at the top of the screen. When the timer expires and the extra sparx spawn, they'll be trapped on the structure you draw.

Once you've done this, you can play the level without having to worry about avoiding the sparx. However, if you die, the sparx will respawn elsewhere and won't be trapped anymore. Needless to say, you have to repeat the process every level as it doesn't carry over.

I also own Qix, I got my cartridge in 1984, it's still in my collection despite not having played it in decades but I certainly know how to play it. A very criminally underrated game, much better than people think. Even tougher once you have TWO Qixes to deal with in the later rounds.