IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

On 12/3/2020 at 9:17 PM, amiman99 said:

I swapped the Nuon motherboard to the M301 to see if the power supply board is OK, and because all ribbon cables matched it all fit fine.  Same problem.

It looks like the motherboard is dead. It's not displaying the Samsung logo at all.

I'm not sure now what the problem might be. I will try to see if the xtals are working.

What comes to mind at this point is that this might be something to take to someone that repairs DVD players.   That 501 might be marginally working in some power component or other issue.

Motherboards go out,  but I'm finding these days it is usually other parts (moving parts, parts related to power) go out more likely.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Songbird said:

Project is CONFIRMED for a March 2021 release, thanks to over 125 sign-ups. Save $5 off the retail price if you pre-order NUON IS3 by Jan 22. Thanks for all the support on this! Great to see so many Atari / NUON fans responding.

Thank you again for re-releasing this title! I've owned 4 different original copies of IS3 over the years, but one was still sealed and the others disc only copies from VM Labs. After 20 years of being a Nuon enthusiast, it'll be sweet to finally have a playable complete copy. I hope that this is just the first of many Nuon titles from Songbird!:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Songbird said:

I just added an "extra manual for IS3" product to the Songbird site. Note that this will be even more limited than the game itself, because most manuals will be shrink-wrapped inside the case. Get it while it lasts!

You are the man! Just purchased IS3 + IS3 extra manual! ?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NUON Controller Contest

As a promotion for the NUON-Dome NUON forum we are giving away a free HPI Stealth Warrior NUON controller.  All you have have to do is post the reason why you should have the controller in the official thread

https://www.thehelper.net/threads/nuon-controller-promotion-free-nuon-controller-contest.167462/

In the end, the NUON-Dome NUON forum registered users will vote to see who gets the controller.

Let the contest start now.

• Like 1

That sounds like an awesome thread.  With so few controllers, will be nice to get this into the hands of a new Nuon gamer.

So just wanted to say, with all the snow many have been experiencing, am I the only one that thinks of the snow theme from Merlin Racing when I step out into the snow?

(pay no attention to the picture below, this goes right to the snow Nifelheim race...)

971987717_ScreenShot2021-02-17at12_48_41AM.thumb.png.9b1133b7dd58b2d2838b9af6e94b2b6b.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help.  I live in the UK and recently purchased a Samsung N-501 from an eBay US seller.  Unfortunately when it arrived it would only play the intro of a film but wouldn't play a movie.  The error message was "Video is not available. Disc maybe damaged."  I tried this with NTSC copies of Bedazzled and Dr Dolittle 2.

As a result I bought another N-501 and now both movies play, but I've downloaded ROMs for some of the games burned them to DVD+R, and they won't play the intros.  I'm assuming that the actual game will play but I haven't yet got a controller!  The firmware version is 1.03.53.00 .

2 hours ago, majorg60 said:

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help.  I live in the UK and recently purchased a Samsung N-501 from an eBay US seller.  Unfortunately when it arrived it would only play the intro of a film but wouldn't play a movie.  The error message was "Video is not available. Disc maybe damaged."  I tried this with NTSC copies of Bedazzled and Dr Dolittle 2.

As a result I bought another N-501 and now both movies play, but I've downloaded ROMs for some of the games burned them to DVD+R, and they won't play the intros.  I'm assuming that the actual game will play but I haven't yet got a controller!  The firmware version is 1.03.53.00 .

You'll run in to issues like that, as DVD player lasers weren't meant to last forever. Some people have had success swapping out drives with those from donor systems - I believe the Samsung M101 is one such compatible donor. 

Glad you have a working N-501 - second time's the charm. It's my understanding that DVD+R discs won't work - gotta be DVD-R discs. I personally try to limit my use of DVD-Rs in my Nuon players because I have a working theory that they make the laser work harder and burn out faster, thus requiring a donor disc drive, but your mileage may vary. Only original media for me these days!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chris Brockman said:

Yeah a new NUON controller is not impossible.  The chip design schematic is out there.  It would not be an adaptor though unless that adaptor had the polyface chip in it.

Are you saying the schematics for the polyface chip exist, or just schematics showing how to wire buttons, etc. to the polyface?

• Like 1