IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

4 hours ago, amiman99 said:

OK, I did burn it on DVD-R and it boot right up!

Now we need is Doom! I did try Doom on my Samsung (when it worked) and was not 100% satisficed.

The Doom that is out there for the NUON was ported over a weekend.  I am sure that it can be better...

8 hours ago, amiman99 said:

Now we need is Doom! I did try Doom on my Samsung (when it worked) and was not 100% satisficed.

But it was playable and fun.

3 hours ago, The Helper said:

The Doom that is out there for the NUON was ported over a weekend.  I am sure that it can be better...

Could be.   Someday, someone might give another try at it.

But in the meantime, this is a SECOND vote to make a .iso of Doom!   Would love to finally play that on the Toshiba 2300.

The problem with doom, if I read the notes with it correctly, are that the wad file needs to be read off the disc. The existing code was done for cd. Someone would need to change the cd parts to read from dvd. Shouldn’t be too hard but the current version won’t work. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

True, though in my book, new ports/homebrew would probably be better time spent than trying to improve existing offerings.

Generally I feel the same way, but in the case of DOOM.. the more DOOM, the merrier. :lol:

• Like 1

Lots of stuff going on with the NUON right now.  Getting that Authentication Key solved was huge and started a bunch of stuff.  A couple years ago, when I started this NUON Resurrection Project I made a list of what I thought needed to happen and made a plan.  I have also been keeping track.  I have updated the list and the most current update on what is going on with trying to get the NUON properly represented in the retro console community is here

https://www.thehelper.net/threads/nuon-resurrection-update.167508/#post-1394976

I need your help guys.  I cannot make this happen alone.  If you want NUON to succeed after its failure we have to consolidate our efforts.  Please check out the plan and add stuff, or give feedback.  Help us get a genius emulator guru on board to help with NUANCE.  This is a call out to the NUON community, we can do this.  Go NUON!

Edited by The Helper
  • Like 4

NUON Controller Update!

We are using the Logitech Controller as our source to get all the inputs to emulate the NUON controller.  We have already been through one homebrew lab at Songbird and captured some of the stuff now it is off to Songbirds new partner and he is getting the rest of it.  Since the logitech controller is mis-designed on the analog I have given them permission to do the Logitech mod so they can capture the full range and not reproduce a defective analog controller.

Attached is the setup.  Go NUON!

Backstory: https://www.thehelper.net/threads/big-news-on-nuon-controller-development.167504/

nuontestsetup.png

Edited by The Helper
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bust a Move for NUON is out there. It is a done thing and ready to release. For whatever reason it did not ever get distributed but we have it but we do not have rights to release it. What is the interest in getting this game out there? I know that Songbird knows this game is out there and I know that we do not have any kind of deal yet so it is probably not all that easy. Licensing issue I am guessing. I am willing to work on that licensing issue if there is any interest in this game. I might do it anyway I really don't know yet I am impulsive..  This is not a pre-order list rather it is General Interest survey. What say you?

Terrible video resolution K3V you should try to get an updated capture if we are going to make this work...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Well, my 1st reaction is to say we already have Ballistic.  But then I realize only 6 games were released, so let's get everything possible out there that we can.  So yeah, I'd buy a copy.

Sounds great.   I think it is shame to have a game that far developed and not enjoyed.   Good luck with whatever you get going on this.

And naturally I love supporting all that go on for the Nuon.

My wish is to get the controller (specifically the fire button) working on the Atari 800 emulator for the Nuon.   Though it only runs about 20% the speed of the Atari 800, I think games like Return of Heracles and Ultima would run pretty good.   No sound, but at least a playable game.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 4:15 PM, amiman99 said:

I'm very interested in knowing why the Aries3 version of Doom still runs at exactly the same speed as the standard version on my N505. The videos i've seen of the Aries3 version running on the RCA model look alot smoother.. Maybe its a bug? or the N505 is gimped somehow..

I would certainly like to see future games take advantage of the Aries 3.

On 6/10/2022 at 4:32 AM, The Helper said:

NUON Controller Update!

We are using the Logitech Controller as our source to get all the inputs to emulate the NUON controller.  We have already been through one homebrew lab at Songbird and captured some of the stuff now it is off to Songbirds new partner and he is getting the rest of it.  Since the logitech controller is mis-designed on the analog I have given them permission to do the Logitech mod so they can capture the full range and not reproduce a defective analog controller.

Attached is the setup.  Go NUON!

Backstory: https://www.thehelper.net/threads/big-news-on-nuon-controller-development.167504/

nuontestsetup.png

If you make the stick slimmer it avoids having to cut the casing of the controller. I've successfully performed the slim stick mod on mine and other folks controllers allowing the full range but not destroying the casing. You can even use the stick from a standard PC wingman controller that the Nuon controller is based on. These can be bought for next to nothing on ebay.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, phipscube said:

I'm very interested in knowing why the Aries3 version of Doom still runs at exactly the same speed as the standard version on my N505.

Going out on a limb here, but I think I recall that when coding for Aries3 machines, the code had to explicitly enable 108MHz mode, else for backwards compatibility the chipset ran at the old standard 54MHz.  Been a very long time since I did any Nuon coding, and I unfortunately never imported an Aries3 machine.

15 hours ago, The Helper said:

Bust a Move for NUON is out there. It is a done thing and ready to release. For whatever reason it did not ever get distributed but we have it but we do not have rights to release it.

Based on K3V's previous comments, it sounds like he was given an earlier version of the game, which was later improved and he doesn't have access to that later version. It didn't get released because VM Labs went belly-up. https://www.nuon-dome.com/bam4.html

All of that said, I'd love for it to see the light of day if someone were to locate it (not the beta version but the fixed version).

1 hour ago, sixersfan105 said:

Based on K3V's previous comments, it sounds like he was given an earlier version of the game, which was later improved and he doesn't have access to that later version. It didn't get released because VM Labs went belly-up. https://www.nuon-dome.com/bam4.html

All of that said, I'd love for it to see the light of day if someone were to locate it (not the beta version but the fixed version).

It is totally possible that it is the Beta version.  I was just trying to get a show of hands before I went down the rabbit hole.

On 6/12/2022 at 5:56 PM, Stephen said:

Going out on a limb here, but I think I recall that when coding for Aries3 machines, the code had to explicitly enable 108MHz mode, else for backwards compatibility the chipset ran at the old standard 54MHz.  Been a very long time since I did any Nuon coding, and I unfortunately never imported an Aries3 machine.

There were two versions of Doom made, one for standard Aries2 Machines at 54MHz and one for Aries3 machines at 108Mhz. Its this version that runs much smoother on the RCA model but on my N505 it runs exactly the same as the standard version. I've heared other owners of the N505 experienced the same problem. Nobody has commented on the N504. Would be interesting to hear how it works on that model.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, phipscube said:

There were two versions of Doom made, one for standard Aries2 Machines at 54MHz and one for Aries3 machines at 108Mhz. Its this version that runs much smoother on the RCA model but on my N505 it runs exactly the same as the standard version. I've heared other owners of the N505 experienced the same problem. Nobody has commented on the N504. Would be interesting to hear how it works on that model.

Good to know - thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

I'm starting to see a flood of controllers appear on eBay (mostly the HPI stealth model, which is the best of the bunch as far as I'm concerned).

More than I've seen in quite some time, though still at overinflated prices. 

Yeah I don't think I've ever seen as many as three HPI Stealth controllers available for sale at the same time. This model has sold in the past on eBay, new in box, for approx. $500, so I'm not so sure the current prices are all that crazy. I was surprised to see an N501 player, Ballistic boxed game and Logitech controller sell for $625 plus shipping a couple weeks back. Given that the N501 typically sells for $100 and Ballistic is usually around $20, that puts the Logitech controller at $500!

There may also be someone looking into an adapter for other controllers, though I think that's a ways away if so. Same person that did 3DO2SNES and upcoming CDI2SNES (open source but their versions are improved and further tested with more stuff and support more controllers than the base project based on). So someone's probably seen a little of both. I have but still wanted one real controller. No analog for me so far though!

5 hours ago, Hastor said:

There may also be someone looking into an adapter for other controllers, though I think that's a ways away if so. Same person that did 3DO2SNES and upcoming CDI2SNES (open source but their versions are improved and further tested with more stuff and support more controllers than the base project based on). So someone's probably seen a little of both. I have but still wanted one real controller. No analog for me so far though!

Got those names backwards btw, it was SNES-2-3DO and SNES-2-CDI, since they let you use SNES controllers. I believe they are considering something with analog for the Nuon, but it's just been in the talking about it phase mostly at this point.

• 5 weeks later...

We got some big news coming in the NUON scene soon!  Not controller related unfortunately but some super interesting stuff coming!  Stay tuned!!!  Go NUON!  Also, in case you did not know NUON is now in MAME. :)  Also news is NOT emulator related!

Edited by The Helper
  • Like 4