IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

I have never seen a controller where there is one turbo for all buttons, what effin good is that? yay I can shoot 60 times a second but my weapon select is like 240hz?

btw I bought that 6th controller down for my genesis brand new as a cheap 6 button second player controller, its Dpad is on a central stick and its wicked sick for fighting games

controllerSnazy.jpg

Edited by Osgeld

ah what an age we live in where someone has to explain a turbo controller to someone else

do you have a game that you wish you could just hold down a button and it would shoot instead of one press = one shot?, turbo is your answer

I made a little logic diagram to explain what a "turbo" function does to button presses...

post-33189-0-30874900-1481345225_thumb.png

• Like 1

I know what turbo is I have just never had an advantage before. There are too many buttons. A llittle confusing. Maybe if I can find a scan of the manual.

Yes but there are 2 grey turbo knobs. Would of made sense turn it up turbo is on and the other way is off. Instead there are 2 white buttons under that to turn it off and on. Did not know that until I saw the manual. Was a little confusing. And why 2 turbo buttons instead of one? You slide player 1 or 2 and then turbo. Why 2 buttons?

I see now I have just never seen turbo separately for both buttons. Its usually one turbo for the whole controller all buttons.

I.. uh.. what? How can you not know any of this? You had to look at the manual to figure out the advantage??? Are you little slow or something?

• Like 2

You guys don't have to be dicks. He was just confused about the turbo buttons and wanted help. Help isn't treating him like he did something horrible like naming a kid after Mike Kennedy or even something way worse like naming two kids after Mike Kennedy. I mean, we are on a forum dedicated to a controller with one big red button and therefore I can see how someone not too familiar with turbo on a controller with multiple buttons and knobs that is a new controller to them may cause confusion. I'm sure him showing it off as a successful hunt was suppose to feel like an exciting moment for him. Let him have that moment, bitches. icon_razz.gif

• Like 2

You guys don't have to be dicks. He was just confused about the turbo buttons and wanted help. Help isn't treating him like he did something horrible like naming a kid after Mike Kennedy or even something way worse like naming two kids after Mike Kennedy. I mean, we are on a forum dedicated to a controller with one big red button and therefore I can see how someone not too familiar with turbo on a controller with multiple buttons and knobs that is a new controller to them may cause confusion. I'm sure him showing it off as a successful hunt was suppose to feel like an exciting moment for him. Let him have that moment, bitches. icon_razz.gif

You're not wrong -- we can certainly be more welcoming -- but this character has also been posting hourly updates about the (obvious, boring) fact that the NES Classic is hard to find at retail -- including stock updates for some midwestern box stores. The person (a kid perhaps?) won't take a hint.

It's not like "everything I know about only has one turbo control" is the first low-value thing he's posted.

How useless would that kind of controller be for something like Mega Man? Shoot as fast as you like, but jumping would be completely broken? That sounds almost as useless as the Eimo controllers before the compatibility fix.

The hourly updates and him trying to understand the functions of his new controller are two different things. If he goes on for days with multiple threads all about the NES Advantage then those two different things will become more similar. I'm just saying that people's patience should be a little more than a few posts because the NES Advantage may be obvious to all of us who have known it for 30 years but someone discovering it now may have a similar kind of confusion to describing the functions of the Atari VCS switches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFSBjC41njU

Thanks

It's not like "everything I know about only has one turbo control" is the first low-value thing he's posted.

How useless would that kind of controller be for something like Mega Man? Shoot as fast as you like, but jumping would be completely broken? That sounds almost as useless as the Eimo controllers before the compatibility fix.

Okay I got a clear head now (was high on the moonshine last night) and I wanted to give my two cents on what the poster was referring to by single button turbo operation.

Lots of 3rd party controllers with turbo, especially 3D era and up, have a "Turbo" hotkey. To activate turbo on button X, you press Turbo+X and X gets assigned to some non-adjustable turbo fire rate. Press Turbo+X again to disengage turbo on the button. You can selectively turn turbo on and off for each button independently of each other. And some of the better models allow you to reset all turbo functions by holding down turbo for some predetermined length of time, in case you forgot which buttons were active. For a game like Megaman, you would have it turned on for "B" but not for "A". I've used N64 and Game Cube controllers with a single dedicated button for Turbo. Starting with the PS1 generation, it just wasn't feasible to add eight or more turbo sliders to a controller anymore, and since nearly all controllers for 5th gen and beyond used cheap microcontrollers rather than discrete logic chips, it was much more economical to add a single turbo button as opposed to discrete actuators for every button. A single microcontroller was responsible for handling all the turbo logic as well as the translation logic for sending the buttons or analog stick inputs to the console.

The NES Advantage only had two logic chips, a 7404 and a 4021, quite an impressive engineering feat given the added functionality that turbo function provided. Turbo controllers for 16-bit era often had discrete switches for each button, but later on it was much more economical and less confusing to just add a single Turbo hotkey that toggled functionality on and off for each button.

• Like 1